Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Jan 11, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #152 of 657
Curious about the momentum 3.Anyone compared them against audeze mobius and amiron home?

Mobius has a larger soundstage and cleaner overall sound. Based on the measurements, I was also expecting a more bass-heavy response out of Momentum 3. This was based on a store demo unit paired to my phone though.

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #153 of 657
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the App for the Momentum 3 on iOS now allows you to manage all of your bluetooth connections. That was one of my biggest issues with the M3, you can connect to multiple devices but there was no easy way to manage them outside of the devices themselves. This omission was ultimately why I preferred the Bowers & Wilkins PX7. With the M3 adding this feature, I now move it ahead of the PX7 and recommend it as the overall better wireless ANC headphone due to better sound. The PX7 still has the longer battery life and slightly better ANC/passive isolation, but the M3 has a more natural, neutral, and cleaner sound that's a little more versatile and consistent. I also love the fact that the M3 has an ANC mode for Wind.

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #154 of 657
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the App for the Momentum 3 on iOS now allows you to manage all of your bluetooth connections. That was one of my biggest issues with the M3, you can connect to multiple devices but there was no easy way to manage them outside of the devices themselves. This omission was ultimately why I preferred the Bowers & Wilkins PX7. With the M3 adding this feature, I now move it ahead of the PX7 and recommend it as the overall better wireless ANC headphone due to better sound. The PX7 still has the longer battery life and slightly better ANC/passive isolation, but the M3 has a more natural, neutral, and cleaner sound that's a little more versatile and consistent. I also love the fact that the M3 has an ANC mode for Wind.
I've been going back and forth as well, but finally settled on the M3. The sound is just delicious and the mic is simply way better for calls compared to the PX7, which has a pretty mediocre mic. Additionally, the instant ambient mode has been far more useful than I would have imagined vs. the long press for the PX7. ANC is acceptable on the M3, even if it's not as good as the PX7 in that regard.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #155 of 657
I bought PX7 and the Momentum 3. My first Momentum 3 had bluetooth connection problems. Lots of stutter, etc less Noise Canceling, so I sent them back. I'm digging the PX7 for battery life, ANC, but..... the bass is too, punchy? It has a lot of bass, but I miss the warmth a bit. Besides that, the sound is great and it's a pretty versatile headphone for communting. But..... I wanted the Momentum 3 back for a longer testing period. After testing, I think the audio is a tad warmer with better, more comfortable bass and man, when you see/touch the Momentum 3, it has a premium / special feel to it that's hard to ignore. The momentum 3 is my "main" headphone at home and I use my PX7 at work. They are both rather great, but the Momentum 3's have a slight advantage in my book.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #156 of 657
I bought PX7 and the Momentum 3. My first Momentum 3 had bluetooth connection problems. Lots of stutter, etc less Noise Canceling, so I sent them back. I'm digging the PX7 for battery life, ANC, but..... the bass is too, punchy? It has a lot of bass, but I miss the warmth a bit. Besides that, the sound is great and it's a pretty versatile headphone for communting. But..... I wanted the Momentum 3 back for a longer testing period. After testing, I think the audio is a tad warmer with better, more comfortable bass and man, when you see/touch the Momentum 3, it has a premium / special feel to it that's hard to ignore. The momentum 3 is my "main" headphone at home and I use my PX7 at work. They are both rather great, but the Momentum 3's have a slight advantage in my book.
I tried that same combination and like you ended up going with the Momentum's. The PX7's just sounded to muddy for me with the type of music I listen to which is like Slipknot.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #158 of 657
I’ve had these for a few months now and they’ve continued to grow on me to the point where I’m typically reaching for them more than my Clears for casual listening. I find them to be quite different to the M2s.

Like the M2, the soundstage is really wide (but for about a year now, I’ve only really had the Clears as something to compare with which have a pretty narrow stage), but the drivers are much faster and more dynamic.

I’m not typically a bass head, but the bass response is turning out to be the thing that impresses me most about these things and I’m enjoying the tuning way more than I originally thought I would. It’s quite elevated (more than any pair I’ve really owned, including the M2) but it’s well controlled, somehow doesn’t bloom into the mids, and has great sub bass extension. The midrange is quite smooth, and nothing is recessed or in your face. The treble is pretty relaxed, but it’s still present; if you have opinions on how Sennheiser presents it’s treble, this will only entrench them.

The bass is probably going to be polarizing and is almost out of character for Sennheiser. If you really don’t like emphasized bass, I strongly advise you audition them because it will be too much for some users.

I don’t want to paint them as a dark headphone though, more smooth with a rumbling low end. They do not, in any way, skew toward neutral though. I don’t really care though when I still find them so pleasant to listen to.

In terms of how the headphones sound in a vacuum, these are my favorite sounding of the high end ANC models I’ve heard. (I’ve heard the Sony’s, Beats, PX, and 700s)

Comfort-wise, these are leagues more comfortable than any of the older momentum models with ear ups that are finally roomy enough to be truly over ear (I no longer brush up against with the inside of the pads like I did with the M2)

The build quality is just as rugged as the other models, and feels even sturdier. The sliding mechanism does seem to slide a little easier than the older models, sometimes it feels they slide a little too freely.

There are some caveats I have:

The internal amp on the headphone is definitely coloring the sound signature. With the new update that lets you power off the headphone with the control button, I’ve finally gotten around to listening to them completely passively. They are really hard to drive in passive mode, I had to run them on high gain mode on my O2 to push them properly. The bass is reined in, the midrange becomes more forward and I find the upper mids get a little too aggressive. I think Sennheiser did not intend for these to be run passively and so even if I have the option, I wind up running these powered on.

The ANC is still not the greatest. It’s better than the M2 (Which I had issues with on planes where, if I turned my head in certain directions, they would really lose their ability to cancel the engine noise), but Sony, Apple, and Bose all perform better on that front. I do not find the tuning changes all that much when ANC is on which I find to be a big plus.

Only standard aptx is a bummer, but not a deal breaker. For the use cases I’m mostly running, I’m not going to be hearing micro detail anyway, and when I need to I can use a cable. I’m glad they acknowledged the Apple ecosystem this generation and included AAC support.

I do not like that the only way to change the ANC strength is to use the Sennheiser App.

The case for these headphones seem to get weaker with every revision.

The hinge on/off switch is not something I like. If you don’t close the left ear cup first, you risk having it reopen when it’s in the case and powering on. A firmware update now at least lets me power them off while they’re unfolded (which was a huge complaint I had) but you can only power them off with a button press now. To turn them back on, you still have to fold and unfold the hinge. This is over-engineering at its most irritating.

Overall, these aren’t going to be for everyone depending on what your priorities are for a wireless ANC setup. Sound wise, these are my favorite of the mobile offerings, hands down. But they are very colored, do not have the best ANC, and don’t have the most advanced wireless codecs. For $400, I can understand people opting for something else, but for me it hits a sweet spot of ANC effectiveness and sound quality that leaves me extremely pleased. We’ll see if my option changes in another few months.

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #159 of 657
I’ve had these for a few months now and they’ve continued to grow on me to the point where I’m typically reaching for them more than my Clears for casual listening. I find them to be quite different to the M2s.

Like the M2, the soundstage is really wide (but for about a year now, I’ve only really had the Clears as something to compare with which have a pretty narrow stage), but the drivers are much faster and more dynamic.

I’m not typically a bass head, but the bass response is turning out to be the thing that impresses me most about these things and I’m enjoying the tuning way more than I originally thought I would. It’s quite elevated (more than any pair I’ve really owned, including the M2) but it’s well controlled, somehow doesn’t bloom into the mids, and has great sub bass extension. The midrange is quite smooth, and nothing is recessed or in your face. The treble is pretty relaxed, but it’s still present; if you have opinions on how Sennheiser presents it’s treble, this will only entrench them.

The bass is probably going to be polarizing and is almost out of character for Sennheiser. If you really don’t like emphasized bass, I strongly advise you audition them because it will be too much for some users.

I don’t want to paint them as a dark headphone though, more smooth with a rumbling low end. They do not, in any way, skew toward neutral though. I don’t really care though when I still find them so pleasant to listen to.

In terms of how the headphones sound in a vacuum, these are my favorite sounding of the high end ANC models I’ve heard. (I’ve heard the Sony’s, Beats, PX, and 700s)

Comfort-wise, these are leagues more comfortable than any of the older momentum models with ear ups that are finally roomy enough to be truly over ear (I no longer brush up against with the inside of the pads like I did with the M2)

The build quality is just as rugged as the other models, and feels even sturdier. The sliding mechanism does seem to slide a little easier than the older models, sometimes it feels they slide a little too freely.

There are some caveats I have:

The internal amp on the headphone is definitely coloring the sound signature. With the new update that lets you power off the headphone with the control button, I’ve finally gotten around to listening to them completely passively. They are really hard to drive in passive mode, I had to run them on high gain mode on my O2 to push them properly. The bass is reined in, the midrange becomes more forward and I find the upper mids get a little too aggressive. I think Sennheiser did not intend for these to be run passively and so even if I have the option, I wind up running these powered on.

The ANC is still not the greatest. It’s better than the M2 (Which I had issues with on planes where, if I turned my head in certain directions, they would really lose their ability to cancel the engine noise), but Sony, Apple, and Bose all perform better on that front. I do not find the tuning changes all that much when ANC is on which I find to be a big plus.

Only standard aptx is a bummer, but not a deal breaker. For the use cases I’m mostly running, I’m not going to be hearing micro detail anyway, and when I need to I can use a cable. I’m glad they acknowledged the Apple ecosystem this generation and included AAC support.

I do not like that the only way to change the ANC strength is to use the Sennheiser App.

The case for these headphones seem to get weaker with every revision.

The hinge on/off switch is not something I like. If you don’t close the left ear cup first, you risk having it reopen when it’s in the case and powering on. A firmware update now at least lets me power them off while they’re unfolded (which was a huge complaint I had) but you can only power them off with a button press now. To turn them back on, you still have to fold and unfold the hinge. This is over-engineering at its most irritating.

Overall, these aren’t going to be for everyone depending on what your priorities are for a wireless ANC setup. Sound wise, these are my favorite of the mobile offerings, hands down. But they are very colored, do not have the best ANC, and don’t have the most advanced wireless codecs. For $400, I can understand people opting for something else, but for me it hits a sweet spot of ANC effectiveness and sound quality that leaves me extremely pleased. We’ll see if my option changes in another few months.

Thanks for your notes. I agree with your sound assessment 100%.

I like the off/on mode with the fold/unfold. It's very convenient and I don't have to think about it. I take them off, stow them, and they are off. I take them out, put them on, and they are connected and ready to go.

When I've used them wired I leave them on as well.

I use them with my iPhone so AAC is great...perfect for me.

ANC is not as strong as the others, as you point out, but I find it good enough on the plane. The other thing I appreciate is the sound doesn't distort/wobble when landing--it handles the plane loud breaking perfectly.

Another great feature--pairs simultaneously to two devices without having to unpair and pair again when switching.

My only regret is I wish it had better battery life. Hasn't been a problem so far but I could see this being a limitation on a very long flight. This is partly mitigated by quick charging feature.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #160 of 657
The original Momentum Wireless sounded really good. It was remarkable what it was able to bring out of the SBC codec, even if I could still tell it was SBC. The store demo for the Momentum 3 (paired to my own iPhone) didn't do much for me. I could hear the clarity from the the AAC codec being supported, but it has a different sound signature. It seemed more balanced, as it got rid of the sub-bass and upper mid emphasis. Sennheiser is doing something unique with the drivers on the Momentum line, and I'd try a Momentum Truly Wireless gen 2 but I don't have enough of a use case to spend $399 on the Momentum 3.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #161 of 657
The original Momentum Wireless sounded really good. It was remarkable what it was able to bring out of the SBC codec, even if I could still tell it was SBC. The store demo for the Momentum 3 (paired to my own iPhone) didn't do much for me. I could hear the clarity from the the AAC codec being supported, but it has a different sound signature. It seemed more balanced, as it got rid of the sub-bass and upper mid emphasis. Sennheiser is doing something unique with the drivers on the Momentum line, and I'd try a Momentum Truly Wireless gen 2 but I don't have enough of a use case to spend $399 on the Momentum 3.
I'd recommend trying it, if you can, in a quieter environment, as there is plenty of sub-bass with the M3. The M2 may have slightly more sub-bass (I still have my have the Pink Floyd Version), but not by much. Throughout the entire bass frequencies, however, the M3 definitely has more bass than the M2. Also, I find the M2 to be a bit dark, while the M3 sounds quite balanced through the mids and highs.

I think the M3 sound quite a bit better than the M2 and have a fun bass-forward signature with very nicely balanced mids & highs. The M3 call quality is also superior to the M2, if that moves the needle for you.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #162 of 657
Greetings to all! I wanted to ask you M3 owners if you heard a white noise from the left driver. On my headset I only feel it with ANC active in max and wind mode. In anti-pressure mode it disappears, as well as when ANC is off.
With music playing it's not noticeable, because it's not loud, but with paused or very low volume music you can hear it
Thank you very much

I didn't have any of those problems when I used my headset except that headset turning off all the time when I moved my head. So I had to install the app to turn automatic pausing off, and then I also updated the firmware because the app told me to do so. After that I used my headphones outside and didn't notice anything, but when I got inside I thought I had broken them somehow because there was noise all the time from left speaker. The active noise control also was worse than it was before. Now I hear my computer fan when when anc is turned to max.
Noise that left speaker generates disappears when I turn anc off or set it to anti pressure mode, but anti pressure mode is far weaker in noise reduction than the maximum setting.

IMO the headset is useless now. It's broken. ANC is far worse now after I upgraded firmware and there are other problems too. When I connect with bluetooth and anc is off and I mute the sound from my computer (while playing music or something) the headphones keep playing a random tone that keeps playing forever (like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep). And transparent hearing mode generates noise. It worked better before firmware update.

It was great headphones until I upgraded firmware. Now it feels like it's broken.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #163 of 657
Where is the Sandy White version? Why does it take so long to get a color out??

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #164 of 657
Where is the Sandy White version? Why does it take so long to get a color out??

I can only speak for Apple but getting a new color out can be challenging, especially with exacting design and color tone specifications. Did you know that the color of the ear pads can change the sound signature? Regardless, I haven’t seen Sennheiser advertise a white version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back