Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Nov 21, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #106 of 657
Int
That is the issue then. I have an iPad and iPhone and neither were displaying the update within the app. Both are on iOS 13.

After speaking with Sennheiser, they told me that currently the headphones can only be updated through the app on Android & Pre iOS 13 devices, due to an issue with the current version of iOS.

Borrowed relatives Android tablet, installed Smart Control, then update appeared and installed.

They currently don’t have a timeframe as to when the iOS issue will be fixed.
Interesting - because my original pair did get the update via iOS 13 (the same device). Now that wasn’t exactly plain sailing and took two attempts to work, so it would seem they’ve obviously pulled the update mechanism for iOS 13.
I’m guessing it’s related to the odd issue where the app won’t connect with music playing. iOS 13 Bluetooth is a mess.
That said the PX7 app doesn’t have any issues and the most recent update to B&O’s app (which specifically addressed Bluetooth connection issues) work perfectly including firmware update in the case of B&O.

Looks like in the interim I’ll need to find someone friendly with an android device

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #107 of 657
Without question. It's currently my favorite sounding wireless headphone. I had the PX7, just sent it back today. The funny part is, I purchased the M3 first, grabbed the PX7, sent the M3 back, repurchased the M3 for a longer comparison, sent the PX7 back today. Initially I felt the M3 was only slightly better sounding than the PX7, so I kept the PX7 for longer battery life, a better case, and better multi device bluetooth management via the app. After spending more time with the PX7, I started noticing flaws with the sound and mic. On certain songs the PX7 just didn't sound quite right to me. Either sibilance in the Treble Range, or a hollowness in the Mids. Made me curious about the M3s again so I grabbed them. I did a more extensive comparison between the two and started to notice more the SQ advantages of the M3. Just a more detailed, musical, consistent sound. I initially thought the PX7 were the more detailed headphone, and it gives that appearance in certain songs due to the angled drivers and the way it presents it's soundstage. It's just not consistent enough with all music in my opinion which is important in a Wireless ANC headphone where you may be using it in many different situations. And to top things off, the PX7 has a noticeable volume limiter that the M3 doesn't have. After you get to a certain volume, it stops increasing certain frequencies when you push it higher. It further hurts it's balance.
LOL! That was almost exactly my journey as well. I'm back to the M3 from the PX7.

I find the overall sound of the M3 to have better high mids/low treble. After longer listening sessions with the PX7, they seem to lose something...hard to explain, but they just sounded "present" and less engaging. Really weird. At first listen with the PX7, you're like "WOW", but then that begins to fade. I'm not sure if the tuning just does something weird with the human brain, but the M3 sound engaging and stay that way.

Also, there was a soft "clicking" sound with the PX7 every time I moved my head from left to right, mind you, not in a rapid or abnormal way, but just casually moving my head around.

Comfort is also better with the M3 vs. the PX7.

I do wish, however, the ear cups had a nicer finish and the sliders were a bit smoother than they are, but overall, I'm happy.

Nov 22, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #110 of 657
Anyone that has both the M2 and M3, can try the M3 earpads with the M2? I'm curious if/how the sound changes.
Because the comfort is much better with the M3, I tried them briefly at an event and the fit is much better for my ears. I plan to buy the M3 earpads for my M2 when they become available.

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #111 of 657
I owned the M2, now I have the M3. Both the structure and the ear pads are quite larger on the M3. The ear pads fixing system is also different. I have doubts that it is possible to mount the M3 pads on M2

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #112 of 657
They look the same. I think it is the same system as on many headphones. A bit tricky to re-attach but I've done it before >>

Here a large photo
https://c-3sux78kvnkay76x24itkz8x2e...kyy.pvmx3fo76i.sgx78qx3dosgmk_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

If you pinch a bit at the side you can see if it is the same system with that lip.

The overall size might be a bit larger but I think they can be used with no problems on the M2. Some use big Braiwavz pads on the M50x, and the difference is much bigger
https://external-preview.redd.it/DN...bp&s=26242bd1dfc5c37a9f9546a56ae9b588c2ecbbd3

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #113 of 657
IMG_20191122_155648.jpg
IMG_20191122_155737.jpg
IMG_20191122_155823.jpg
IMG_20191122_160047.jpg
IMG_20191122_155947.jpg
IMG_20191122_160006.jpg

The M3 have plastic hooks. As you can see from the photos there are 6 per pavilion and they attach to the ring that is inside the ear pads (which M2 does not have). That part of pads, where the plastic ring is, could also slip into the seat of the M2 (no ring of course) but if it is too wide, compared to the original, it does not hold well and above all does not seal properly. I'll also put pictures of the opening fastening area

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #114 of 657
Little OT: I propose listening to Lee Ritenour-Rhythm Sessions "July" :wink:

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #115 of 657

The M3 have plastic hooks. As you can see from the photos there are 6 per pavilion and they attach to the ring that is inside the ear pads (which M2 does not have). That part of pads, where the plastic ring is, could also slip into the seat of the M2 (no ring of course) but if it is too wide, compared to the original, it does not hold well and above all does not seal properly. I'll also put pictures of the opening fastening area

Wow, nice photos! Thank you very much for the time and effort you took to post these.
The system is different indeed. Clip style more similar to HD 5xx / 6xx. But if that plastic ring goes off, I still think it would be possible to fit them on M2. I would take the risk and buy them anyways :)
I measured the outside of the M2 cups and they are about 15-16 mm wider than what you show in the photos. So it will be about 8mm of that lip to go inside the seat.

Thanks again!

P.S. Since you owned the M2, how do you think they compare in terms of sound?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #116 of 657
I really appreciate your thanks and I'm happy to have been useful to you! If the measurements tell you that you can switch... It's worth a try. Of the M2 I remember that they were not the best of comfort, they were not loud enough (at maximum volume). You couldn't turn off the ANC and the high frequencies were a little "veiled" with marked declines in the mid-treble and high-treble. All things that have worked out great with M3.
The sound output of the M3 is very well balanced. They have an emphasis on bass that only disturbs on poorly recorded tracks (which already have lows pumped). Soundstage open enough for a closed back, and they sound great at any volume, always balanced. To conclude I say that, I don't know if you've got to listen to them, the M3 reminds me quite enough of the wireless B&Ws P7 in the fun dynamic sound signature

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #117 of 657
Wow, nice photos! Thank you very much for the time and effort you took to post these.
The system is different indeed. Clip style more similar to HD 5xx / 6xx. But if that plastic ring goes off, I still think it would be possible to fit them on M2. I would take the risk and buy them anyways :)
I measured the outside of the M2 cups and they are about 15-16 mm wider than what you show in the photos. So it will be about 8mm of that lip to go inside the seat.

Thanks again!

P.S. Since you owned the M2, how do you think they compare in terms of sound?

I also still have the M2’s, the M3’s are a markedly big improvement in sound and comfort. Soundstage feels wider than the M2, which felt rather narrow and one dimensional. Treble is the biggest improvement, far more balanced and accurate. I personally love the Mid bass boost, which definitely adds excitement to a lot of tracks, I’ve not yet heard of any cases of it bleeding into the Mids.

Overall I’m very happy with them.

One thing I’ve noticed is that they’re a lot harder to drive passively on my iPhone/iPad, compared to the M2’s. Their impedance is at 100ohms passively (470 ohms Active), whereas I believe the M2 were something like 32ohms when they were used wired.

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #118 of 657
I just connected the M3 to my PC via the supplied USB cable. It was instantly recognized by Windows 10 and I could start listening. I didn't spend much time on it yet but my first impressions are very good. It sounds better in all aspects than using bluetooth. More clarity, especially more precise imaging and so on. One downside is that it only accepts 16bit 48khz. So you have to suffer some resampling for most material. If you don't mind having a cable while you use your PC I would suggest giving it a try.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #119 of 657
My M3s arrived this afternoon and all I can say is wow. Incredible sound quality via bluetooth. Arguably the best I've ever heard in a headphone.

Now, as I stated previously, my use case is a little different than most as I want to have one headphone to cover all of my use cases. It's really a pain in the butt to turn these things on and off...the opening and closing is fine and dandy, but it should be possible to disable that if you want. I store my headphone on a headphone stand, so when I take it off, I want to just be able to switch it off and put it on the stand. In this case, I have to take it off, close it to turn the headphone off, then hold the multi function button for 4 seconds while opening them back up to have the headphone open and OFF. Stupid. No way to disable that "feature" that I can tell reading through the manual. You can get rid of the "off ear pause" feature, so why not just include a dumb power button? I can't imagine that MOST people when they take their headphone off will fold it up and put it in the case. I guess a lot would, but ALL? There should be a way besides what I outlined above.

As for performance...there's a noticeable difference between NC on max and NC on wind and pressure settings. There is much more bass and depth with the headphone on MAX NC - so it seems like that is where most would use it. Just weird that the sound frequency is so different on the different settings. As expected, WIRED with the headphone off is less powerful/dynamic, but that seems to be the standard for wireless headphones these days outside of B&O and Audio Technica. It's not nearly as big of a drop off as the XM3s and 700ns so it's definitely usable.

They fit great, super comfortable, great materials and they look pretty good. A little bulkier than the competition but the sound is so good, it's acceptable.

The case that comes with them is atrocious. Sennheiser should be ashamed at this price point to include that cardboard junk.

Is it really that bad when using a wire according to you? I'm asking because I'm in the same situation as you and I want to use one headphone for both my pc (wired) and traveling (bleutooth). In other reviews and other comments (previous comments), people say how much better it is when used wired (either via USB or jack plug). Did you try both?

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #120 of 657
Is it really that bad when using a wire according to you? I'm asking because I'm in the same situation as you and I want to use one headphone for both my pc (wired) and traveling (bleutooth). In other reviews and other comments (previous comments), people say how much better it is when used wired (either via USB or jack plug). Did you try both?
USB C direct connection with my Galaxy s8 is much quieter at the same volume level vs. BT. Device controls and headphone controls are linked, so it's not that I had my device output set low. Aside from output/volume, the sound is very similar. In fact, oddly, I prefer the sound over aptX with Spotify. Sounds slightly more engaging.

I also tried on 3.5mm on my s8, which sounds even softer and a little muffled. So, if you're going to run passively, you'll need some power to drive them.

I do agree with @dbdynsty25 in this regard. Since my main use is wireless anyway (mainly office), I'm not worried about wired performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back