Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or M2 Wired
Apr 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #46 of 221

Yes, I haven't heard the M2. But what I have read  the sound quality of the M2 is very similar to the M1.

I well remember the Night Visions album by Imagine Dragons wasn't a good experience with the M1. That sounded even worse than the Philip Stetch.

I think since you have heard the M1 it might be a fair comment regarding the M1, but how can you make a comment on something you haven't even heard? Again, I was not a fan of the first generation I had it 2x and returned it both times. The M2 on the other hand are an entirely different story.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #47 of 221
Hello fellow Head-Fiers. Just wanted to say that IMO the new Sennheiser Momentum M2 Wired are some truly awesome-sounding cans. I wanted some nice portable cans for travel and work. I was already intrigued by the Momentum first version but the earcups were a little too small for my taste. I've been on the Sennheiser bandwagon for some time and I'm still loving my HD650s as well. My new home setup: Apple Macbook Air, ALAC files from various sources, Geek Out 450 DAC and my new Sennheiser Momentum M2 Wired = Audio Ecstacy! I highly recommend this setup.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #48 of 221
  Hello fellow Head-Fiers. Just wanted to say that IMO the new Sennheiser Momentum M2 Wired are some truly awesome-sounding cans. I wanted some nice portable cans for travel and work. I was already intrigued by the Momentum first version but the earcups were a little too small for my taste. I've been on the Sennheiser bandwagon for some time and I'm still loving my HD650s as well. My new home setup: Apple Macbook Air, ALAC files from various sources, Geek Out 450 DAC and my new Sennheiser Momentum M2 Wired = Audio Ecstacy! I highly recommend this setup

Welcome

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #50 of 221
[COLOR=333333]Yes, I haven't heard the M2. But what I have read  the sound quality of the M2 is[/COLOR]very similar[COLOR=333333] to the M1.[/COLOR]

I well remember the Night Visions album by Imagine Dragons wasn't a good experience with the M1. That sounded even worse than with the Philip Stetch.

Of course it sounds worse, the Momentum is more revealing than the Stetch. Even mid fi headphones will reveal the poor recording of that album. It's generally agreed that that album was poorly mixed, almost like listening through a brick wall. Go demo with better produced tracks before you make an opinion. By your judgement, Ath M50x should curb stomp the Momentums, which I highly doubt.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #53 of 221

Still waiting and only hearing crickets....

Sorry, my fault. I forgot to come back and make a post here. 

In short, the Momentum 2 wired is outstanding. They make small and incremental improvements across the board that ultimately makes this a much more enjoyable experience than the original. 

The fit and fitment of the news pads is just wonderful. I could only wear the original for about 20 minutes until my ears get irritated with the clamp around the outer edges of the ear. I can wear the Mo 2 for hours and still have the initial comfort. 

The sound signature is tuned slightly and carefully and the yield of the result is substantial. There is a touch more treble extension. The bass is reigned in and a bit tighter but is not lacking in slam and punch. And the mids are just gorgeous. Vocals are a real treat here. These headphones are addictive to listen to. Sennheiser just knows how to get an incredibly high level of musicality from their hp's. Oddly, I had the Oppo pm-3 for a direct comparisons. While to Oppo was technically the better performer, once I quit the comparisons I kept picking up the Sennheiser over and over when I wanted to listen to music. 

As in almost all cases, it usually comes down to tone for me when choosing a hp. How natural is the tone of the mids in particular. The tone of the Momentum 2 is spot on.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #54 of 221

While to Oppo was technically the better performer, once I quit the comparisons I kept picking up the Sennheiser over and over when I wanted to listen to music. 

+1

As much as I *love* the idea of owning a portable planar magnetic headphone (so much so that I returned my wired M2 to ensure I had sufficient funds), the PM-3 was too uncomfortable for me when I tried them out for about 30 minutes at Oppo's offices.  

Maybe I have an oddly shaped head but I had a sore/hot spot at the top after 15 minutes.  Everyone talks about how comfy the PM-3 synthetic earcup leather is but they didn't match up to the buttery suppleness of M2's real leather.  That said, I didn't really notice the clamping force of the PM-3 pads that a number of users complained about.  

Sound-wise, I think the PM-3 does win out on individual technicalities against the M2, especially in mid-range clarity, but they just weren't as enjoyable for me.  Maybe one way to put it is that while the component parts of the PM-3 sound were slightly better than the M2, the M2's overall sound of the M2 from bottom to top felt better integrated and more organic (i.e. sum is better than its parts).

If the PM-3 was as comfy as the M2, I still would have gotten them despite my liking the overall M2 sound signature a bit more.  However, the relative lack of comfort coupled with the sound signature kept me from pulling the trigger on the PM-3.

I ended up reordering the M2 and now that they're back on my desk, I couldn't be happier.  Also didn't hurt that I reordered the wired M2 when they went for $280 on amazon.com a few weeks ago.

I guess my conclusion would be that the PM-3 and M2 are definitely in competition for your hard earned dollars but I think it's a matter of preference rather than one being clearly better than the other... that is, until I flip flop and change my mind again. :)

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #55 of 221
^^ Well put.

Concerning care of those buttery leather pads. Is there a leather care kit that I can use to maintain the pads. I know that Audeze sells a kit for there pads but not sure if it would be appropriate for the M2. Suggestions?

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #56 of 221
I currently have both, the M2 & PM-3. I was A/B'ing today because I have quite a few folks asking for my opinion not because I am getting rid of either. But with a clear winner I might. Interesting, I was listening and the thought came to me that the music sounded flat, lifeless, and I thought man the Senn is lacking. I reached up to remove them and I had on the PM-3, lol. That said the X5 and the PM-3 don't pair well for me, not sure why. If I add an E11 no problem. I put the M2 on and Steely Dan is sounding great with the X5. Go figure.

As far as cleaning the pads, I am not sure. Maybe our Senn rep will chime in.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #57 of 221
I posted some thoughts here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around/3180#post_11517821

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #58 of 221
I have the 598 and the M2 and they are different animals. One is premium portable, one is open back entry level high end, apples to oranges.

The HP50 is more detailed, but I like Momentum's rich sound better. Just my preference I guess.

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #59 of 221
How are the soundstage compared btw the PM-3 and M2? The general consensus was PM-3 has a very small congested soundstage but great imaging and separation. Is the M2's soundstage as small as the PM-3?

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #60 of 221
How are the soundstage compared btw the PM-3 and M2? The general consensus was PM-3 has a very small congested soundstage but great imaging and separation. Is the M2's soundstage as small as the PM-3?

Wider soundstage in the M2. The PM-3 sound a bit congested, however the instrument separation is really good, and the imaging is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back