Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or M2 Wired
Aug 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #136 of 221
Hi Pedro. There is very little difference to my ears. The M2 plays a little louder, it's more efficient, you won't have to turn the volume up all the way on an iphone, the low end hits a tad harder than the M1(maybe the bigger earcups help with this), and it's more comfortable.

But I like the M1 a bit more, it just seems a bit more natural and smooth sounding. But this is just audiophile nitpicking,They sound way more similar than different, you should get the M2 because of how comfortable they are and you're getting almost the exact same sound.

They are worth the $349 retail price in US dollars, but I'm sure they can be had secondhand for less

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #137 of 221
Hi Pedro. There is very little difference to my ears. The M2 plays a little louder, it's more efficient, you won't have to turn the volume up all the way on an iphone, the low end hits a tad harder than the M1(maybe the bigger earcups help with this), and it's more comfortable.

But I like the M1 a bit more, it just seems a bit more natural and smooth sounding. But this is just audiophile nitpicking,They sound way more similar than different, you should get the M2 because of how comfortable they are and you're getting almost the exact same sound.

They are worth the $349 retail price in US dollars, but I'm sure they can be had secondhand for less

So the m2 has a bit more neutral tone with a tiny bit bigger? Doesnt seem bas although I really liked the sound of the first one. Cool thing on the, is that the bass seems to almost auto adjust on different types of music, when its calmer music its still present but does not ruin the rest of the frequency but when listening to stuff like edm its there and is a lot of fun.

Its not like i have gigantic ears but even by putting them like this ) they would never properly fit the cups and of course after a few minutes this would hurt like hell...
With shipping already included a brand new m2 would cost me 260 euros..... Its still a ton of money.... Even for the first gen i never payed more than 200 euros...

I just got the dt770 pro 80oh, for home use a week ago but although i like the spacious and well separated sound i am not really "feelin" them.... Seem to lack a bit of mids presence and overall although bassy the sound is a tiny bit thinner than i am used to. The worst is the bass though, i am used to cans with a more voluminous and punchy slam and although the dt770 has a nice slam its nowhere near what i was used to with the momentum, hd25 and m50x.... I think the dt770 is more a can for subbass junkies and i think i am more of a midbass guy..

I think i am also becoming a sennheiser guy.... Well at least i like their portable punchy stuff....the hd5518, 558, 598, the 400 series (never tried the 600s) are too soft sounding for me.... Hd25 and momentums remain my favourite cans so far.... (Had the amperior but prefered the hd25)

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #138 of 221
I think both are on the warm side of neutral. Perhaps the main reason why I like the original is because it was the headphone that got me started on this journey.I had a few other headphones, but it was the Momentum that really got me to fall love with the hobby.

You're going to love the M2. It's got a tad of the forwardness of the HD 25, but the Momentum sound signature.Cry once when you pay the bill, and then smile continually after.

The M1 and the M2 both have a mid treble dip at 6000 Hz. Sennheiser tunes them that way because they know people are going to be using these headphones for portable devices and MP3s, and they want to tame the shrillness of those recordings.

But the treble comes back a little after that, so it won't feel like you're missing any information. Besides, We can give a treble boost if we want on Spotify or itunes.

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #139 of 221
I was able to compare both the sennheiser m1 and m2  and spent a good 20 mins comparing the two headphones..

M2: More comfortable the bigger cups definitely make a difference...

Slightly more bass but to my ears i think the treble has been reduced a bit ...they both sound very similar the treble lacks a bit of bite

The hinges has compromised the structure of the headphones it does not feel as solid as m1 .

M1:  Not as comfortable as the m2 they have smaller cups but for me they are fine i have small ears...

I find the bass adequate not as much as the m2 but it makes the headphones sound more natural and balanced ...the mids were the same as the m2 ....

Solid built headphones for some strange reason they felt more sturdy without the m2 hinges

Better cable microphone and jack ..the one used on the m2 looked cheap to me.

Overall i think both m1 and m2 sound lush and warm i really love the sound signature, i ordered the m1 though i think they  are a bargain right now....... for the sound and build quality you can pick them up for as little as 149 euros new...if comfort is an issue go for the m2.

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #142 of 221

M2:

Slightly more bass but to my ears i think the treble has been reduced a bit ...they both sound very similar the treble lacks a bit of bite

The hinges has compromised the structure of the headphones it does not feel as solid as m1 .

Are u sure the M2's have less treble? Basically all the reviews i read seem to say the opposite.

I hate headphones with hinges too.... usually hinges mean trouble after a while.... But they seem badly built? Moving parts? Creaking?

But the difference in bass is very different? Wich in your opinion hits harder/has more bass slam?

Wich is in your opinion (despite the slight differences) sonically superior?

Yes its a shame... in terms of build and goodies the M1 was amazing.... the angled jack and the metal remote control are like a piece of art.

I really want the m2 because i had problems with the fit of the m1 but its hard to imagine forking more 100 euros for just bigger cups when everything else (cables, case) was better on the m1....

What the heck! i love the m1 so much that i am thinking of living with the pain and bad fit..... for the 4th time.... :D

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #143 of 221
Nah, get the M2, they are way more comfortable, and they basically sound the same. The cable comes off the right earcup on the M2, just a heads up. The cables on M1 and M2 are interchangeable. If you have the M1 on, and then you switch out and put on the M2, you'll have to turn the volume down a couple of notches, the M2 is more sensitive with I devices.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #144 of 221

Are u sure the M2's have less treble? Basically all the reviews i read seem to say the opposite.

I hate headphones with hinges too.... usually hinges mean trouble after a while.... But they seem badly built? Moving parts? Creaking?

But the difference in bass is very different? Wich in your opinion hits harder/has more bass slam?

Wich is in your opinion (despite the slight differences) sonically superior?

Yes its a shame... in terms of build and goodies the M1 was amazing.... the angled jack and the metal remote control are like a piece of art.

I really want the m2 because i had problems with the fit of the m1 but its hard to imagine forking more 100 euros for just bigger cups when everything else (cables, case) was better on the m1....

What the heck! i love the m1 so much that i am thinking of living with the pain and bad fit..... for the 4th time.... :D

Yes to my ears the treble seems slightly less apparent on the m2 i might be wrong but thats what my ears perceived  ...mind you the  changes are very slight even the bass is not very exaggerated but you can hear the bass having more impact but not hugely.... i just love that liquid smoothness in the sound on both..

If it was a blind test i would probably say they sounded the same to be honest ..i was actually looking to hear a difference and those are the differences i heard...Go for the m2 they are very comfortable ...sonically i would say for the price the m1 is best and the inline mic and jack is just class.....but as you have comfort issues m2 is your best bet

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #146 of 221
  Yes to my ears the treble seems slightly less apparent on the m2 i might be wrong but thats what my ears perceived  ...mind you the  changes are very slight even the bass is not very exaggerated but you can hear the bass having more impact but not hugely.... i just love that liquid smoothness in the sound on both..

If it was a blind test i would probably say they sounded the same to be honest ..i was actually looking to hear a difference and those are the differences i heard...Go for the m2 they are very comfortable ...sonically i would say for the price the m1 is best and the inline mic and jack is just class.....but as you have comfort issues m2 is your best bet

Quote:
Pedro, I totally agree with what Goody said

I know i know....
But its 100 euros..... ;( 
I also wanted to buy a new hd25.... :D

Its weird reading your imprssions about the treble.... since the amperior i am a bit affraid about getting sligth upgrades..... everyone raved about the amperior being great and better and much more balanced than the hd25.... i tested the amperior and they screw* up what was great about the hd25, the lively, agressive, fun and engaging sound. Bass was boomier, mids and highs were toned down.... to me the amperior was just a bloated hd25 and only good for edm and even ate edm i prefered the hd25 due to having tighter bass (also the hd25 was much easier to eq)....

But thats another matter.... :D

About that build on the m2.... so its a notch down compared to the original (only regarding the headphone itself)? Creaking? Any moving parts?

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #147 of 221

About that build on the m2.... so its a notch down compared to the original (only regarding the headphone itself)? Creaking? Any moving parts?

No creaks or moving parts its a solid build but not as good as the m1 ....its a notch down only because of the inline remote and jack i just hated the hinges it just spoilt the overall solidity and design...Pedro you will have to bite the bullet and get the m2 ...potterpastor and i know how horrible it will be to have uncomfortable headphones.....I know the m1 is a bargain right now but dont sacrifice comfort

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #148 of 221
  No creaks or moving parts its a solid build but not as good as the m1 ....its a notch down only because of the inline remote and jack i just hated the hinges it just spoilt the overall solidity and design...Pedro you will have to bite the bullet and get the m2 ...potterpastor and i know how horrible it will be to have uncomfortable headphones.....I know the m1 is a bargain right now but dont sacrifice comfort

Sennheiser only had to make XL pads.... ;(
screw!!!!!!!!! :D

do you think 260 euros (244 on german amazon, 260 with shipping and etc already included) is a good price...?

If i recall correctly the inline cable for the m1 on sennheiser spares was super expensive, like 99 euros or something like that.... today its easy... you do not get the cable, might as well get another set of momentums.... :D

Just by curiosity.... how do you compare the m50x and momentum in terms of sound quality? :) Not signatures, quality in sound....

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #149 of 221
  Sennheiser only had to make XL pads.... ;(
screw!!!!!!!!! :D

do you think 260 euros (244 on german amazon, 260 with shipping and etc already included) is a good price...?

If i recall correctly the inline cable for the m1 on sennheiser spares was super expensive, like 99 euros or something like that.... today its easy... you do not get the cable, might as well get another set of momentums.... :D

Just by curiosity.... how do you compare the m50x and momentum in terms of sound quality? :) Not signatures, quality in sound....

Oh go on you might as well buy the m1 keep it for a while and see how you like it....m50x is a good studio monitor headphone nice deep bass and great treble ..but its not portable at all for me at least

Users who are viewing this thread

Back