Sennheiser MM 450 Travel and the WOWee One, for the traveling Head-Fi'ers - Head-Fi TV, Episode 007
Jun 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #31 of 57

Quote:
I'm quite troubled about the low isolating value you seem to attribute to the Sennheiser though, as I would buy I mainly for use on public transportation.
I e.g. use the Yuin G2 at work or when I'm on the move and don't want/need isolation. I just love it's sound (eventhough it lacks in the lower frequencies/bass), but it's just not up to the isolation-task when used on trains or airplanes. I have the Sony MDR7056 which is better for that, but still, I hoped to find in the Sennheiser better isolation in a more compact form...
I don't really mind hearing the (attenuated) casual high pitches of a train's breaks when entering a station or noticing that the train conductor is announcing something, but I'm mainly looking at eliminating the constant train-noises (motor, wind-noise when the windows are open, rithmic sound on the train-tracks, most of the background noise of the people...)

Hi blub, maybe I was being a bit too critical of the passive noise isolation plus noise cancellation.  I'm so used to totally blocking out the external noise when working out at the gym (very loud music) with Shure or Klipsch IEMs (music at volume level of 6 or 7).  
IEMs 9.5/10 for noise isolation gym, train, buses etc. 

With the PXC 310 BT I have the volume level on max and I can still hear the gym music but not to the point where it takes away from my music experience.  With the noise cancellation on it blocks out the bass part of gym music (but I'd rather not trade off my listen experience to turn the noise cancellation on (maybe I'm not used to noise cancellation but it feels a bit eery or unnatural).  
Noise isolation/cancellation at the gym: 7/10 

On the subway, I think the supra-aural closed back design coupled with noise cancellation does an adequate job of blocking out external noise of the subway (motor, humming engine etc.).  Plus the the music you're listening to doesn't leak too much sound to the point where others around you feel uncomfortable.  And buses are fine as well as they're less nosier than trains.  
Noise isolation/cancellation on the train: 8/10     

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 57
Jude, you present and come across very good on video.  You should do more of this.

Yes, I hate supraural phones.  I wish you had heard the 550 so I know how they compare.

With regard to the Wowee, I am surprise nobody has mentioned the Jawbone JamBox or the FoxL, they are both bluetooth power speakers in similar size with great great bass.  In fact, the Jambox was named number one speaker and is sold out in most places as father's day gift.  The best part of it is the fact they are bluetooth driven and also can act as a speaker phone for telephone calls.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #33 of 57
Hi Jude. Head-fi TV is a great addition to the forum, but and this is important. You have to change t-shirts. The one you have on has England above the Union Flag of which contains the flags of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Your t-shirt should say the United Kingdom. That inaccuracy detracts from your otherwise excelent presentation.

beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #34 of 57
i think the  Wowee one does pretty well. i have no experience with the Jambox or FoxL but i see they are in a different price range. i havent tested mine,but the Wowee is supposed to get up to 20  hours per charge. anybody found the sticky pads in stock online?

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #35 of 57

Quote:
Any chance of a comparison of the MM450 against the HD25-1 II? I have the latter, but the thought of bluetooth with decent sound sure is alluring...

I would be interested as well.

I recently looked in to Bluetooth headphones for public transport. After doing some costings and never having heard Bluetooth headphones I decided to get:
- Senn HD25-1 II's (just got them, sound awesome!)
- Sony DRC BT60 Bluetooth receiver
- Fiio E5 amp for power

This came out cheaper than MM450's. It has the plus that the sound of the HD25-1 II's are well known and so no risk, they will still be good cabled if the Bluethooth experiment doesn't work.

I am still waiting on the Bluetooth receiver and Amp but will post on how it goes.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 57
Ok Jpelg.  What evidence do you have to support your answer instead of saying no it doesn't?  Cause it's not really helpful... And you go out of your way to

look up my post on Macrumors as well to refute this?  

Have you ever used the Sennheiser PXC 310BT with and without BTD 300 audio on your iphone like I have?  Cause I couldn't hear the difference in sound quality...

I don't have any scientific proof to back my opinion but do you?  

DO you work for Apple or iOSs development team, if so please enlighten me with your knowledge.   So I can be corrected in my false opinion.   

The major difference in quality is of MM400 or higher compared to any other consumer BT product is the dirt poor DAC, AMP and headphone +mic design of competing products. MM400 equal series was build specifically to show that its only because none of the real quality audio companies took BT stereo audio serious that BT has a bad rep for anything than effective phone calls. Actually even in mono BT headsets from quality makers like Jabra or Sennheiser (both danish companies YAY:wink: has the biggest problem that the quality of the mobile call transmission is the weak link and has been for ages.

As for APT-X, while it helps, its not really that big of a deal compared to testing another product crappy stereo BT product VSMM400 or similar proper made BT audio products like some of the very expensive speaker docks that supports BT stereo.

Another fun fact: MM450 featured in Bluetooth official magazine together with the PS3 and and handful of others major real Bluetooth inventions!

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #37 of 57
I would be interested as well.

I recently looked in to Bluetooth headphones for public transport. After doing some costings and never having heard Bluetooth headphones I decided to get:
- Senn HD25-1 II's (just got them, sound awesome!)
- Sony DRC BT60 Bluetooth receiver
- Fiio E5 amp for power

This came out cheaper than MM450's. It has the plus that the sound of the HD25-1 II's are well known and so no risk, they will still be good cabled if the Bluethooth experiment doesn't work.

I am still waiting on the Bluetooth receiver and Amp but will post on how it goes.

Interesting thinking thought its a lot more clumsy it my prove better audio quality for some situations but I'm afraid using headphones and AMP and BT DAC's not specifically made for high end BT stereo will loose most of the headphones or amps noise floor and its like using medium range mp3 quality best case as digital source material until I figure out how to hotwire/hack some BT 3 devices for FLAC transport and get bigger batteries. That why Sennheiser spent some time making this product and it sound better than the crap most "competition" have been trying to pull so far - its not just a home made Sennheiser speaker its everything combine, wired, programmed etc. in this specific way that makes it good.

Also why are you getting a Sony receiver? Hot tip: That just a more expensive Jabra product - They make like 99% of everything with BT audio not with Sennheiser on it as the GN/Jabra is the major OEM for Sony and pretty much everyone else as its pointless competing when its less risk and cheaper buying off them. Thats how moto/nokia/sony etc. are "competing" in the BT product market. Think Jarbone and a few other small shops are independent but thats about it. Sennheiser Communications, Jarbone and GN/Jabra is the market.

Also while I like the wireless audio most of the use for BT products is for mobile and the hole point of MM450 is to have as small a package as possible so you don't need a bag. There your solution falls short.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #38 of 57
For me this is a less risky option, if BT music is crap I still have an awesome pair of headphones. I am willing to bet that the HD25-1 II's sound better than MM450 when corded.

I liked the Sony DRC-BT60 as it has noise cancelling built in. I didn't see that in the Jabra products I looked at. Also the Sony had a claimed longer battery life.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #39 of 57
Another home run from Jude! I love his T shirt that says England. It matches with his message of travel headphone since he discusses the experience of the product on an airplane. I'm assuming he flew to England with the Sennheiser headphone. Anyway, the T shirt looks great on him. What makes this video message important is the fact that it reveals something new and cutting edge. This Sennheiser headphone is certainly in a class of it's own with it's functionality. It's like a Swiss Army knife of headphones. I would not expect it to be audiophile but it should probably sound convincing enough. I would buy it actually. 

That little speaker is very impressive. How many times when sitting around watching youtube or netflix, do you not feel like putting on a headphone just for some general audio without music? This speaker will come in handy dandy for those moments at the hotel. Plus, there are times when I really am not in the mood to put on a headphone. This little portable speaker will be a nice addition for those times.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #40 of 57
I think I'll wait for NFC before considering Bluetooth headphones for travel. Someone mentioned gaming, I wouldn't personally consider using a supra-aural for that purpose but I can see why it's a suitable product for that particular activity.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #42 of 57
Isn't the Wowee One just a repackaged K-Box from a couple of years back?

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #43 of 57
Jude -- is that a Panerai you're wearing in the video?

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #45 of 57

Quote:
i think the  Wowee one does pretty well. i have no experience with the Jambox or FoxL but i see they are in a different price range. i havent tested mine,but the Wowee is supposed to get up to 20  hours per charge. anybody found the sticky pads in stock online?

On the official website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back