Sennheiser is getting annoying...
Mar 6, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Yep, everyone at my school either wants or has the Triports or the QC2s, someone actually had the nerve to come up to me and ask if my HD650s were as good as the QC2s, I almost slapped him
biggrin.gif

Did you direct him to Head-Fi thus leading him down the path towards lifelong debt and eventually bankruptcy?

I would have, but I'm a bitter person. I applaud your use of restraint in that situation. Besides, we don't need any more Bose threads.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #32 of 52
Why is this discussion even happening?

Facts:

1. Outside of this forum, there are probably only a couple thousand people who have ever heard of Beyerdynamic, AKG, Grado, Ultimate Ears, etc. Most of them probably work in the recording industry.

2. Sennheiser sells their stuff in some major chain stores, so people will have heard of them.

So...why is it any surprise that people will mock Grados? They're ugly and nobody has heard of them. Of course people will question your reasoning. Is that in any way shocking, or should this be expected?

--Illah

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #33 of 52
This is such a non-debate, it isn't even funny. Would you rather they ask you "Why aren't you wearing Bose?" I mean, seriously. Sennheiser makes frigging AWESOME headphones. It's not like any recognition they're getting isn't deserved. My portable headphone time is split between my MS2i (Complete with Yellow Senn pads) and the Beyer 770-80. If someone asks, is it really that hard to let them actually *hear* the headphones? That usually shuts them right up.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The more obscure our High end stuff is, the better.

-Ed

I felt pretty weird when I seen Grado on sale at virgin mega store here in Chicago. It was like "why? This is not for the normal...its for the speacil..lol"

But I hear what you say about it being good not having the public knowing about the value also, I remember the few times I used my ps-1's on the Train..hahaha
No one on the Train had any idea..no one!

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #35 of 52
I dont' really have an issue with people not understanding, just a general one where individuals hold their own unsupported opinions such as "x brand is the best there is" (usually because marketing tells me so). I wish more people would do research before putting forth such blanket opinions.

I SUGGEST: Next time someones says something ask them "Why?" At the very least you will make them think or get a funny story at their expense.
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #37 of 52
Well, they do know what they're doing. They're clearly the biggest high-quality headphone manufacturer for a reason.

There are so many different Sennheiser products that dominate their specific niche...PX100, HD 25-1, CX300, the PXC or PC headset series, and the HD555. All these are really well-thought-out products, and they excel at their specific price level for their intended use.

So...in other words, they deserve the recognition for creating a range of reliable and well-designed products.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a fan.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #39 of 52
Sennheiser is a recognizeable brand in headphones. When I first got into the hobby my folks were in the US. I asked my Dad to pick me a up a pair of Grado SR60's. He had not heard of Grado, but stated "Sennheiser apparently makes great headphones."

He was right, but he had never heard of Grado.

He heard the words "good headphones" and immediately thought of Sennheiser. They are "The Keg" of the headphone world. The Keg makes good steaks, but I know at least two steak joints around here that walk all over it.

Just like Sennehiser....they make great stuff, but if you look around there are many other options. Options that are as good or better depending on what you want.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
I dont' really have an issue with people not understanding, just a general one where individuals hold their own unsupported opinions such as "x brand is the best there is" (usually because marketing tells me so). I wish more people would do research before putting forth such blanket opinions.

Well, given a laymans frame of reference Senn may really be the 'best' headphone there is. You can't expect everyone to have researched every product category exhaustively. I don't think it's so much marketing hype. If they knew about all these other brands but decided Senn was the best just because that's what they read in some magazine then that's a little different.

I would think there are more unsupported blanket opinions on this site than there are out in the 'real world'
wink.gif
I think the usual scenario is kid comes to site, for whatever reason picks Brand A over the rest of the $60 headphone pack, is wowed by the Brand A sound, he decides that Brand A is the greatest, and proceeds to slowly upgrade up the Brand A line and champion Brand A products as the 'best'.

--Illah

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #42 of 52
I like the average consumers ignorance.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #43 of 52
my only caveat is that to me it seems if a company has too much success than they start to make products for the general public rather than the audiophile...ie sony starting to make cheap stuff to appeal to the mass market more with the eventual degradation of their lines...
i hope that ety/shure/and especially senn doesnt go down this route. i even think the quality at grado will get worse as they become a bigger company...but that is the market....a new startup will they capture our fancy and the cycle begins again

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #45 of 52
Why does it matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back