Sennheiser IEM's
Oct 12, 2008 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Have I missed something or when were these released?

IE8 (apparent flagship):

IE8_mainsmall.jpg

IE7 (apparent middle-ground option):

IE7_mainsmall.jpg

IE6 (apparent lower-end offering):

IE6_mainsmall.jpg

Anybody have any idea of how they perform? [I understand they utilise dynamic drivers and I think they are noise-cancelling as opposed to noise isolating, but they still look to be, on pricing, aimed to compete with the high-end IEM's on the current market]

N.B.// They appear to be the same kind of phone and technology as the Denon offereings; ie shallow insertion canalphones. Anyone confirm this?

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 30
The IE8's have not been released yet, according to Sennheiser they are still about a month or so away. It will be very interesting to see how they compare to the SE530/TF10 Pros.

The IE6 & IE7 came out last week.

Oct 12, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8's have not been released yet, according to Sennheiser they are still about a month or so away. It will be very interesting to see how they compare to the SE530/TF10 Pros.

The IE6 & IE7 came out last week.

Thanks for the info Michael M! I'm sure your on the money aswell, with you being a vendor.
smily_headphones1.gif
Any impressions on the IE6 or IE7 yet (or not had a chance to try yet)?

I have read that theres been confusion between Sennheiser and vendors though- in past; not necesarily now-, whereby, vendors have had this line as listed in stock and available when it hadn't actually been released yet. I assume, now, that advancedmp3players.com has fell victim to this as it has all 3 models as 'in stock' on it's website. Anyhow, I can wait. A new IEM line is very exciting, especially from such a prestigious name in the audio game as Sennheiser!

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just visited the sennheiser website and it appears that they have undergone some re-design changes. They now have a removable cable attachment for the IE8

Thanks for pointing that out Electric_Mofo, but the spec for the IE8 on advancedmp3players.com had already made me aware of this design feature.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 30
Well they lag a bit behind on the other side of the pond for sennheiser it seems. I found them a few weeks ago and haven't found any reviews especially on the IE-8 yet on the net. Over here in germany I could've ordered them for like 230€ shipped it seems but apparenty no head-fier from europe pulled the trigger on them yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 30
I wonder what the size of the drivers are, can't be much bigger than the drivers on the Sony EX700s as the Sony EX700s are already ridiculously big (16mm!). Though the Sony's only LOOK big as the Sony brand badge more or less actually sits flat with your ear.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 30
Just a quick update, Advancedmp3players.com have now updated the IE8 to be expected in stock 27th October. Looking forward to how this fares against the current big boys!

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 30
Have only had a couple of hours listening to the pair that were delivered earlier today, so far not disappointed, but not blown away either.

This isn't an attempt at a full review, I'll leave that to more capable posters, just a few comments.

Packaging - very nice looking but a bit too clever in that it would benefit from opening instructions on the outside.

Carry case - probably in the same category as the packaging, looks great but may not prove too practical in the long run.

Comfort - good, but I could only get the larger foam tips to seal and they didn't pass my yawn test (do they still seal when I yawn?) so I swapped them for the same Comply tips I use on my Triple Fi's. Otherwise fine though.

Ear loops - I think I will lose these soon as they don't grip the wire very well and are bound to fall off. I know that many posters don't like memory wire but in this case I think it would be a better option. It may be that with some further use I'm proved wrong, I hope so anyway.

Sound quality - I love my HD 650's and was hoping for a portable equivalent so took the plunge and bought the IE 8's before reading a review, something I don't often do. In reality I didn't expect true equivalence, just more than I get from the IEM's I own at the moment (ER-4P, Triple Fi, and UM2) and I'm not sure that I'm getting that, but it's early days. I'm a believer in both burn in, and as these are dynamics there should be some, and in the user adjusting to the sound over a period of time. With regard to the latter, switching from the UM2's to the ER-4P's the sound is initially very thin and almost unbearable but after a few minutes their strengths start to shine through (there isn't a 'faster' IEM on the market IMHO) and their weaknesses don't seem to be there any more. So in the case of the IE 8 I'm hoping a combination of the two work some magic and I find myself won over by them.

To describe the sound, nothing stands out, which is probably a good thing, bass is full (at the lowest setting), treble is definitely there but not as noticeable as the triples or ER-4P but better than the UM2's, and the mids sound nice, but vocals don't seem as good as the UM2's. Soundstage seems very wide though, and placement is nice.

I'm sorry I can't be more positive but at the moment the Triples sound significantly better to my ears, as do the HD 650's (probably a dumb remark).

When I get time I'll post an update but it probably won't be 'til next week as I'm snowed under with work and can't do much listening, but will burn them in.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've got this cool 360 view on the sennheiser page aswell. Its quite large, thats quite some dynamic driver in there compared to my M5's.

Sennheiser Electronic - IE 8

You have got to be kidding me. Silver plated plug on a supposedly hifi set of earphones?

Or does that not matter at all?
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 30
Isn't silver the best conductor of electiricty?

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have only had a couple of hours listening to the pair that were delivered earlier today, so far not disappointed, but not blown away either.

This isn't an attempt at a full review, I'll leave that to more capable posters, just a few comments.

Packaging - very nice looking but a bit too clever in that it would benefit from opening instructions on the outside.

Carry case - probably in the same category as the packaging, looks great but may not prove too practical in the long run.

Comfort - good, but I could only get the larger foam tips to seal and they didn't pass my yawn test (do they still seal when I yawn?) so I swapped them for the same Comply tips I use on my Triple Fi's. Otherwise fine though.

Ear loops - I think I will lose these soon as they don't grip the wire very well and are bound to fall off. I know that many posters don't like memory wire but in this case I think it would be a better option. It may be that with some further use I'm proved wrong, I hope so anyway.

Sound quality - I love my HD 650's and was hoping for a portable equivalent so took the plunge and bought the IE 8's before reading a review, something I don't often do. In reality I didn't expect true equivalence, just more than I get from the IEM's I own at the moment (ER-4P, Triple Fi, and UM2) and I'm not sure that I'm getting that, but it's early days. I'm a believer in both burn in, and as these are dynamics there should be some, and in the user adjusting to the sound over a period of time. With regard to the latter, switching from the UM2's to the ER-4P's the sound is initially very thin and almost unbearable but after a few minutes their strengths start to shine through (there isn't a 'faster' IEM on the market IMHO) and their weaknesses don't seem to be there any more. So in the case of the IE 8 I'm hoping a combination of the two work some magic and I find myself won over by them.

To describe the sound, nothing stands out, which is probably a good thing, bass is full (at the lowest setting), treble is definitely there but not as noticeable as the triples or ER-4P but better than the UM2's, and the mids sound nice, but vocals don't seem as good as the UM2's. Soundstage seems very wide though, and placement is nice.

I'm sorry I can't be more positive but at the moment the Triples sound significantly better to my ears, as do the HD 650's (probably a dumb remark).

When I get time I'll post an update but it probably won't be 'til next week as I'm snowed under with work and can't do much listening, but will burn them in.

Interesting observations Rboy, if somewhat disappointing at this stage, as you stipulate. Look forward to hearing more from you with time as and when though! How does the bass adjustment system work? Well? Can you describe how you use it, how sensitive it is and/or what effect it has on the bass response to the ear?

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have got to be kidding me. Silver plated plug on a supposedly hifi set of earphones?

Or does that not matter at all?
tongue.gif

Nickel. Manufacturer don't use silver for plating cause it will oxidize very fast.

It is too often Senn. like to overprice their earphones. I am interesting in getting one but I'll sit a few months for the price to go down to a more realistic price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back