Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Oct 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,517 of 7,998
Congrats! give them time for the sound to open up. I was not so impressed the first time I listened to them but now I'm really loving them. If only I could keep the seal secured in my ears ,hopefully the comply tips would help here.
Thank you! It's my first so expensive earphones :) previously I've had ie8&80 so I know about this burnin period :)

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,519 of 7,998
I tried a set of Comply T200's today. They are a much better fit than the 500's and stay on the IE800's really well.

If you are having problems with the fit or comfort of the standard IE800 tips, I can strongly recommend the T200's.

Great! glad to hear that. Did you try the TX series with wax guard filter?

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,521 of 7,998
Owned IE800 for a month or so now and the only thing I can say is that these IEMs will probably be my absolute favorite sound for a long - Long time.

Past history: ER-4P -> Shure E2G -> TF10 -> Westone 3 -> Atomic Floyd SuperDarts -> IE800

Putting sound aside however, I also highly value ergonomics and unfortunately for some odd reason Sennheiser decided to make the cable super short and the overall fit very finicky..

Perhaps it's just my ears but after walking around with them for the week of use I simply cannot stand re-adjusting the ear pieces every 10 minutes.

Not enough posts to list on classified section yet.. so I'm just giving a heads up on this thread if anyone is interested in purchasing my IE800 shoot a PM!

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,523 of 7,998
Hey guys,

I have noticed something on Innerfidelity. 

The IE800 that I have reviewed I think had a graph like this:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserIE800.pdf

And the 2013 version has changed and seems to be worse in more aspects:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserIE8002013.pdf

That looks like another headphone (beats version in some ways :)) ) and I don't think I would appreciate it's sound from what I see there.

I don't get what happened there, and if the graphs are right , I don't appreciate what Sennheiser did without notice, as people might read my review and expect something else, buy the IE800 and then be disappointed .

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,524 of 7,998
I take the 2013 graph any day for portable use. Deep bass boost is a lot better than deep bass roll off, especially as a factor for combating the drowning out effect when using them in a noisy environment. As long as the midbass and mids isn't effected this is the preferred tuning for most people. The IE800 might have too much of a good thing for many though.

I do however think the lack of deep bass extension in the first measurement is due to lack of a proper seal. You can tell from the 13 dB decrease in broadband isolation, and no isolation in the lowest register. I think I remember Tyll saying something along the lines of the IE800 being very difficult to measure as he couldn't get them to seal right with his equipment and had to redo the measurement.

You are the first person I've heard of who have experienced the IE800 without a deep bass increase, if that is what you are saying.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,525 of 7,998
  I take the 2013 graph any day for portable use. Deep bass boost is a lot better than deep bass roll off, especially as a factor for combating the drowning out effect when using them in a noisy environment. As long as the midbass and mids isn't effected this is the preferred tuning for most people. The IE800 might have too much of a good thing for many though.

I do however think the lack of deep bass extension in the first measurement is due to lack of a proper seal. You can tell from the 13 dB decrease in broadband isolation, and no isolation in the lowest register. I think I remember Tyll saying something along the lines of the IE800 being very difficult to measure as he couldn't get them to seal right with his equipment and had to redo the measurement.

You are the first person I've heard of who have experienced the IE800 without a deep bass increase, if that is what you are saying.

I will try to get my hands on a newer version to see if there are any differences. However what I was saying is that if they made changes without saying anything, my review would be obsolete as I may have different impressions on them so different conclusions.

I don't like that in the 2013 version the bass seems to be over the mids, so the sound could be less clear over all. I would be more of a fan of clearer sound instead of bass heavy sound.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,526 of 7,998
I wouldn't worry about it. Just by reading your short review I would be very surprised you had a IE800 that really measured like the first measurement. You would probably finding them lacking in the bass department, especially coming from the IE80.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,527 of 7,998
  I wouldn't worry about it. Just by reading your short review I would be very surprised you had a IE800 that really measured like the first measurement. You would probably finding them lacking in the bass department, especially coming from the IE80.

It could be true, but I usually don't like headphones with that much bass, so that would be a surprise :))

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,529 of 7,998
  Hey guys,

I have noticed something on Innerfidelity. 

The IE800 that I have reviewed I think had a graph like this:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserIE800.pdf

And the 2013 version has changed and seems to be worse in more aspects:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserIE8002013.pdf

That looks like another headphone (beats version in some ways :)) ) and I don't think I would appreciate it's sound from what I see there.

I don't get what happened there, and if the graphs are right , I don't appreciate what Sennheiser did without notice, as people might read my review and expect something else, buy the IE800 and then be disappointed .

Hi Dan, thanks for the good read!

I don't think there are two versions of the IE800 though. My unit is one of the first that hit the market in November 2012 and here's Rin's graph of it:

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,530 of 7,998
Innerfidelity seems to measure their IEMs at random insertion depths, that is why they look different sometimes and why some IEMs have crazy mismatches. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back