Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,321 of 7,998
Quote:
I still don't understand the comparison between open back, large headphones and IEM's? They're always going to sound different, even from the same manufacturer. Apples & Oranges...
smily_headphones1.gif

People will always do that kind of comparisons in certain limits. This comparisons make perfect sense especially for those that don't want to have a huge collection of headphones, but rather a couple of excellent all rounders.

In the past I was searching for an IEM to give me the level of detail that HD650 had. IE80 never made it, although I was naive enough to buy them based on what some fellows head-fiers write around here, who were praising them in that same context (comparison to 650). There's some general similarity in tone, but that's it, they are not anywhere near the level of detail hd650 provide. In fact they don't really provide detail, that's why you can enjoy pretty much any kind of music with them, be it poorly recorded or brilliantly mastered; everything will sound good (read veiled) on them.

But after I bought the k3003 and concluded (leaving aside the obvious differences coming from their different designs) that 3003 was superior in pretty much every way, I simply gave the 650 to a friend because they didn't gave me so much joy anymore. OTOH, I have to say, despite the old argument regarding how IEMs picture the stereo image compared to full sized/over ear/open headphones, I always found in-ears to render a more direct (in lack of a better word) bass. There's something that to me sounds really satisfying. I'm not saying it's natural or not, but it sounds "right" to me, and I'm not talking about "bass-enhancements" or bass heavy iems here. I'm talking about a sensation that only in-ears can provide.

So from the point where I stand I'd be surprised to hear that ie800 is not a more detailed and technical superior phone compared to hd650. Anyway, when Sennheiser made the press announcement and claimed that the new IEM will compete with full sized designs, I was sure they were talking about hd650, not about the 800.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,322 of 7,998
Quote:
People will always do that kind of comparisons in certain limits. This comparisons make perfect sense especially for those that don't want to have a huge collection of headphones, but rather a couple of excellent all rounders.

In the past I was searching for an IEM to give me the level of detail that HD650 had. IE80 never made it, although I was naive enough to buy them based on what some fellows head-fiers write around here, who were praising them in that same context (comparison to 650). There's some general similarity in tone, but that's it, they are not anywhere near the level of detail hd650 provide. In fact they don't really provide detail, that's why you can enjoy pretty much any kind of music with them, be it poorly recorded or brilliantly mastered; everything will sound good (read veiled) on them.

But after I bought the k3003 and concluded (leaving aside the obvious differences coming from their different designs) that 3003 was superior in pretty much every way, I simply gave the 650 to a friend because they didn't gave me so much joy anymore. OTOH, I have to say, despite the old argument regarding how IEMs picture the stereo image compared to full sized/over ear/open headphones, I always found in-ears to render a more direct (in lack of a better word) bass. There's something that to me sounds really satisfying. I'm not saying it's natural or not, but it sounds "right" to me, and I'm not talking about "bass-enhancements" or bass heavy iems here. I'm talking about a sensation that only in-ears can provide.

So from the point where I stand I'd be surprised to hear that ie800 is not a more detailed and technical superior phone compared to hd650. Anyway, when Sennheiser made the press announcement and claimed that the new IEM will compete with full sized designs, I was sure they were talking about hd650, not about the 800.

Interesting point.  If Sennheiser claims that the IE800s will compete with full-sized headphones, that means really high-end IEMs can compete with full-sized designs.  After all, they are all used to reproduce sound

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,323 of 7,998
Wow, you would seriously consider them better than the hd650?  They're not bassy like the IE80 ?  I find that too bassy on the lowest setting and too V-shaped.  The hd650 is very flat with slightly warmer treble than the hd600.  Are you saying the IE800 is a lot flatter?

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,324 of 7,998
Based on pretty much everybody's feedback they are certainly bassy. However, considering they are designed to be used outdoors, that makes perfect sense. I have a setting I use on my IEMs when going out that elevates the low end with about 3dBs in order to compensate for the perceived bass loss that happens on the street/bus/subway etc. Personally I'm more concerned about the cable design of the ie800 that I'm about the bass.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,325 of 7,998
Quote:
Based on pretty much everybody's feedback they are certainly bassy. However, considering they are designed to be used outdoors, that makes perfect sense. I have a setting I use on my IEMs when going out that elevates the low end with about 3dBs in order to compensate for the perceived bass loss that happens on the street/bus/subway etc. Personally I'm more concerned about the cable design of the ie800 that I'm about the bass.

Ah.  O.k.  I was hoping for hd600 style accuracy in an IEM.  Oh well...

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,329 of 7,998
When it comes to the sub bass I hear the same as you. The IE800 have more than the 1plus2.

but I hear things differently regarding treble. The 1plus2 sounded more edgy and treble boosted compared to the IE800. The 1plus2 mids were therefore more pushed back which, in turn, gives the 1p2 its great soundstage.

To my ears, the Ie800 treble is less strong, in general, than the 1p2. But there is a peak at a certain high frequency which can, in some songs, sound a little hot. But it’s not audible for most of the songs listen to. the 1p2 treble was more of an even, higher plateau across a wider range of high frequencies and gave it a more obvious V shaped sound.

On the flip side, the fit ear 334 has more mid bass than the IE800, less sub bass and much less treble. it’s a thicker, more mid centric sound but I prefer the sub bass of the IE800 - reminds me more of good full-size cans.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,331 of 7,998
well, the sub bass specifically on the IE800 reminded me of the LCD2. deep, hard hitting, no distortion. the overall sound of the IE800 is not as dark as the LCD2, though.

If I had to think about full size cans that remind me of the 3 IEMs I’m talking about, I’d make the following comparisons. note that these are just rough alignments based on general sonic character. (note that I haven’t heard any of the hifiman orthos)

1plus2 is kinda like the TH900 or D7000. fun bass, kinda V shaped. notably sparkly treble.

Fitear 334 is like some combo of the HD650 with a mid bass bump and rich mids and the LCD2. somewhat dark sounding with laid back treble, rich vocals.

IE800 is harder for me to make a comparison with. It has that deep sub bass that I compared to the LCD2 but overall, it’s not nearly as dark and the mids aren’t as lush. There’s a bit more treble energy than those darker cans but it’s not as elevated as, say, the HD800 or as sparkly (or prone to sibilance) as the D7000.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #1,332 of 7,998
Hi again

I have heard back from the seller about my IE800's with the crackly right ear piece and they have told me to return them and they will send them to Sennheiser to exchange them for a new pair.
The seller is reputable and I have no doubt they will do the right thing.

But I dont want to do this unless I am 100% certain that they are faulty,so I would like some feedback please.
What I am experiencing is a low level crackling noise in the right ear piece  when music is playing but only sometimes,its not always there.

I can sometimes listen for 2 hours without any problems ,then all of a sudden the crackle appears and can stay for just 1 or 2 songs or can be there for anything up to 30 minutes.
I have tried it on my iPod,my wife's Iphone and my android phone and have experienced it on all of them.
Even though the crackle noise is low,it's still noticeable and annoying.

At one stage I though it might be interference from my modem or computer  because I took them to work and went for 2 hours without any crackle,but the next day the crackle returned while I was driving.
I am trying to find excuses to say its not the earphones,but it looks like they are the problem.
Can anyone else think of anything I may have missed ? or can confirm that what I am experiencing is indeed a faulty product.

thanks

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #1,333 of 7,998
Quote:
Hi again

I have heard back from the seller about my IE800's with the crackly right ear piece and they have told me to return them and they will send them to Sennheiser to exchange them for a new pair.
The seller is reputable and I have no doubt they will do the right thing.

But I dont want to do this unless I am 100% certain that they are faulty,so I would like some feedback please.
What I am experiencing is a low level crackling noise in the right ear piece  when music is playing but only sometimes,its not always there.

I can sometimes listen for 2 hours without any problems ,then all of a sudden the crackle appears and can stay for just 1 or 2 songs or can be there for anything up to 30 minutes.
I have tried it on my iPod,my wife's Iphone and my android phone and have experienced it on all of them.
Even though the crackle noise is low,it's still noticeable and annoying.

At one stage I though it might be interference from my modem or computer  because I took them to work and went for 2 hours without any crackle,but the next day the crackle returned while I was driving.
I am trying to find excuses to say its not the earphones,but it looks like they are the problem.
Can anyone else think of anything I may have missed ? or can confirm that what I am experiencing is indeed a faulty product.

thanks

If even you yourself think that you're having a faulty product, then I do not see the point of asking us about it.Why not just get it done and over with once and for all? Faulty products are rare but they are there, and if I were you I'd definitely give the manufacturer a chance to correct themselves.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,335 of 7,998
Dolinao you're over-analyzing things here and at the risk of screwing yourself over. Just let it go and send them back to get a replacement and be done with it. If you don't you'll regret it and it's not worth having regrets on such an expensive purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back