Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #1,111 of 7,998
Sorry to hear about your issues with the ie800, especially regarding silbilance.

Have you just tried using the largest tips that comes with the earphones. I agree with everyone else that a shallow insertion is a must! Hope it works out for you in the end, as the ie800 is a very fine pair of earphones..........

I get the best sound with mine using deep insertion/over the ear placement. Zero sibilance with Tera Player, iPhone 5, and HRT microstreamer.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,112 of 7,998
The Large tips are quite a bit larger than the M/L Ovals (which are about the same size as the Medium tips).

Sibilance has not been an issue for me with the IE800 either deep or shallow. Then again, I am not generally sensitive to sibilance with any headphone. I find that it is there if it is there in the recording - usually live recordings.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,113 of 7,998
Quote:
The Large tips are quite a bit larger than the M/L Ovals (which are about the same size as the Medium tips).

Sibilance has not been an issue for me with the IE800 either deep or shallow. Then again, I am not generally sensitive to sibilance with any headphone. I find that it is there if it is there in the recording - usually live recordings.

yes probably on some of my tracks. but on the hd800 which is a revealing headphone, it doesn't hurt like on the ie800. hopefully I get more improvements with burn in which I did somehow compared to its sound out of the box

thanks!

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,114 of 7,998
Where are you guys getting your IE800 from? I've looked at several online dealers and they don't list them in stock.

May 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,116 of 7,998
Darkkopi, Customs Cables (http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/) sells them in the UK. I don't know how much shipping will cost however. They went to the London Head-Fi meet and they are two very friendly guys!

May 8, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #1,118 of 7,998
After waiting 4 months, my Sennheiser ie800 has finally arrived, got them for €630 / 530 uk pounds (of which 21% is tax deductible:))

I am a relative newbie, but I can confidently say that records like those of the XX or the remastered Beatles turn out to be real gems after listening to it with the ie800. Being in my early twenties I find the treble really, really sharp, with the detailing of the bass to be dependent on the DAC/AMP set up. I tested the iems with a Macbook pro (SPDIF) --> V-DAC --> Marantz PM6003 --> ie800 set up.

I liked this set up, but unfortunately I cannot take it to my desktop. Who listens to their ie800 at their desktop and what set up do they use?

I looked at the following options
- Fiio E17 (already ordered)
- Woo Audio 7 Fireflies (doubts about this one, like the tube concept, but read some regarded it not really suitable for iems)

I (think) am looking for a more warm & instrument separating sound, but I would like to hear your experiences and opinions on this.

What would you guys recommend for a desktop set up?

May 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #1,119 of 7,998
Quote:

Who listens to their ie800 at their desktop and what set up do they use?

I looked at the following options
- Fiio E17 (already ordered)
- Woo Audio 7 Fireflies (doubts about this one, like the tube concept, but read some regarded it not really suitable for iems)

I (think) am looking for a more warm & instrument separating sound, but I would like to hear your experiences and opinions on this.

What would you guys recommend for a desktop set up?

great question and one i am investigating myself 

i have read the entire WA7 thread and its not convincing just yet with one reviewer stating the amp is better suited for +80ohm headphones - also if you already own a good dac then you dont need a dac/amp combo.

I dont know what else is suitable to drive IEM's from a desktop/ USB DAC setup - hoping others may have suggestions

May 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,120 of 7,998
Quote:
great question and one i am investigating myself 

i have read the entire WA7 thread and its not convincing just yet with one reviewer stating the amp is better suited for +80ohm headphones - also if you already own a good dac then you dont need a dac/amp combo.

I dont know what else is suitable to drive IEM's from a desktop/ USB DAC setup - hoping others may have suggestions

Ok, I've tried the Fiio E17, but was unimpressed with the sound produced. Using iTunes with Amarra's EQ and the normal DAC out of the Macbook Pro resulted in a better experience than the equalizer in the Fiio. Sending it back.

Hedphonz, have you read of any alternatives of the WA7? I believe the instrument separation and warmth could still be enhanced with a better set up. Have any of you guys tried desktop set up's with the ie800 IEM?

May 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,121 of 7,998
Quote:

Ok, I've tried the Fiio E17, but was unimpressed with the sound produced. Using iTunes with Amarra's EQ and the normal DAC out of the Macbook Pro resulted in a better experience than the equalizer in the Fiio. Sending it back.

Hedphonz, have you read of any alternatives of the WA7? I believe the instrument separation and warmth could still be enhanced with a better set up. Have any of you guys tried desktop set up's with the ie800 IEM?

i.m not aware of much else which is probably an indication that i am in the unusual bracket of preferring my iems over my headphones at my desktop - maybe i should be investing in better gear to bring out the the HD800's to a level i am happy with - currently i only use them for movies 

May 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,122 of 7,998
I'm very impressed how these sound. The mids are simply some of the best I heard in a headphone period. The timbre is just nothing short of spectacular and it has a beautiful effortless to it's sound. The soundstage was very nicely presented as well. The best universals I heard to date.
Had the K3003 on hand and did a back and forth comparison and the AKGs had nothing on these. There was a slight problem with coherency but the biggest problem was the tonality and distant sounding mids and highs. Thought they where about $300 worth of sound.

I had no problem with ergonomics at all and they could be worn with a deep fit around the ear so microphonics was not an issue.
My issue was purely the bass. The bass is not a problem on most tracks but with some tracks with lots of deep bass going on it was slightly overwhelming. On some tracks the bass was very fitting I must say. This is where an EQ comes very handy.

May 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,123 of 7,998
Quote:
I'm very impressed how these sound. The mids are simply some of the best I heard in a headphone period. The timbre is just nothing short of spectacular and it has a beautiful effortless to it's sound. The soundstage was very nicely presented as well. The best universals I heard to date.
Had the K3003 on hand and did a back and forth comparison and the AKGs had nothing on these. There was a slight problem with coherency but the biggest problem was the tonality and distant sounding mids and highs. Thought they where about $300 worth of sound.

I had no problem with ergonomics at all and they could be worn with a deep fit around the ear so microphonics was not an issue.
My issue was purely the bass. The bass is not a problem on most tracks but with some tracks with lots of deep bass going on it was slightly overwhelming. On some tracks the bass was very fitting I must say. This is where an EQ comes very handy.

After nearly two weeks of ownership I wholly agree with your IE800 impression. The things I love the most about them, aside from sonic qualities, is that they are extremely versatile with a wide range of music, being massively detailed with well-mastered tracks but not overly punishing with poor-recorded materials. Not to mention that they are not really source dependent and can be efficiently driven by a mere Clip+, with no significant benefits from amping.

Btw, may I ask for how long did you audition the AKG? I know that impressions about them on head-fi have been best a mixed bag so far, but it's hard to imagine it sounding that bad.

May 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,124 of 7,998
My ie800s arrived today. I love the sound of these little things. Would compare them with my HD800s with an upped bass (which fits outside use fine).

May 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,125 of 7,998
Completely shameless plug: I decided to vote no to the microphonics and the overdone bass rumble. I guess I´m more into a flatter sound signature. My IE800 are now on the for sale forums here. They still have the best raw resolution I´ve heard, but for me the search continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back