Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,096 of 7,998
Quote:
I am delighted that Music is back. Welcome back truly.

Thanks!

Quote:
...Things are spicier already.

Well, things did seem rather dull in this thread for a while, didn't they?  :wink:

Quote:
With the discussion of how the IE800 is engineered for shallow insertion, I have switched from the M/L Oval tips to the Medium tips. I am still running over the ears and behind the head but these sit more shallow. The attenuation still seems to be good. It is too early to say on sound quality. I think that the soundstage may be a bit bigger.

Discovered the oval tips after about a week with the Senns, and been using them ever since (4+ months). They do make a difference, not huge, but it's a very well thought-out/ designed type of tip. One thing I like is that I get no suction effect so commonly found on sealed IEMs and customs.

Always worn mine with the cable down (with a shirt-clip, otherwise awful microphonics) and a shallow insertion which gives me a great seal.

On a semi-related note, after getting the HD800s, I've seriously started to question flat(tish) graphs/responses which are considered 'ideal' for IEMs. I believe at present that such graphs are rather flawed—again, I'm talking ONLY IEMs here. What I hear from the wonderfully (fairly) flat HD800 is not what I hear from so-called flat-sounding IEMs. In that sense, I don't find the IE800 low-end 'flaws' as severe, particularly when this IEM is meant to be used out and about where low freqs are seriously affected.

Another interesting thing I found about the IE800s is that they isolate better than I'd anticipated, and certainly better than the K3003s, and not that far from other good isolating IEMs such as Westones and Shures. This I tested the only time I've used my IE800s outside the house, where on a trip to London during the Xmas holidays they were surprisingly good/efficient during both flights and when used on the fairly loud London underground.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,097 of 7,998
Quote:

Always worn mine with the cable down (with a shirt-clip, otherwise awful microphonics) and a shallow insertion which gives me a great seal.

On a semi-related note, after getting the HD800s, I've seriously started to question flat(tish) graphs/responses which are considered 'ideal' for IEMs. I believe at present that such graphs are rather flawed—again, I'm talking ONLY IEMs here. What I hear from the wonderfully (fairly) flat HD800 is not what I hear from so-called flat-sounding IEMs. In that sense, I don't find the IE800 low-end 'flaws' as severe, particularly when this IEM is menat to be used out and about where low freqs are seriously affected.

I share this sentiment totally!

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,098 of 7,998
Quote:

Not too bad - I have seen both better and worse.  :)

Okay, so you are basing it on postings on this thread. I have read the thread from day one and I read the general assessment of sound quality differently. I would say that satisfaction is quite high.

As for pricing, if one is judging by baubles per dollar, then going with Heir Audio or UM makes more sense. However, quality of construction, precision engineering and hand assembly in Germany are also expensive. In terms of sound quality for the money in our diminishing marginal returns hobby, I think that the IE800, while not cheap, is reasonably priced.

It looks like we interpreted things quite differently. I didn´t actually even mean that statement all that negatively. In general I fully agree that most owners seem very happy with the IE800. I´ve been reading this thread a lot too and did however get a clear impression that the majority of owners here find it somewhat (as in slightly) a flawed product overall. Very bad microphonics, the Y-splitter is too heavy, they aren´t that good for wearing over the ear and there´s no fully replaceable cables. Most criticism has been directed towards the bass balance though. Then again most high end IEMs seem to be quite controversial (ok, not just high end ones) so who knows. For the record I´m a fan of the IE800 and don´t really have any major issues with it, although I do think they are fairly genre specific (rock/metal/electronica/pop in particular).

Point taken on the price - setting up a new assembly line in Germany for high precision work like IEMs isn´t exactly cheap and R&D on statement products is always high too. That said, I still wish the IE800 had been released at 500e/750 dollars. At that price range it would have been much easier to sell... In other words it would have been very competitive compared to the usual Westone/Shure and so forth. I guess that just wasn´t possible with the local manufacturing costs though. On the other hand it is indeed nice to support locally (as in EU) made gear for a change :)

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,099 of 7,998
Quote:
It looks like we interpreted things quite differently. I didn´t actually even mean that statement all that negatively. In general I fully agree that most owners seem very happy with the IE800. I´ve been reading this thread a lot too and did however get a clear impression that the majority of owners here find it somewhat (as in slightly) a flawed product overall. Very bad microphonics, the Y-splitter is too heavy, they aren´t that good for wearing over the ear and there´s no fully replaceable cables. Most criticism has been directed towards the bass balance though. Then again most high end IEMs seem to be quite controversial (ok, not just high end ones) so who knows. For the record I´m a fan of the IE800 and don´t really have any major issues with it, although I do think they are fairly genre specific (rock/metal/electronica/pop in particular).

Point taken on the price - setting up a new assembly line in Germany for high precision work like IEMs isn´t exactly cheap and R&D on statement products is always high too. That said, I still wish the IE800 had been released at 500e/750 dollars. At that price range it would have been much easier to sell... In other words it would have been very competitive compared to the usual Westone/Shure and so forth. I guess that just wasn´t possible with the local manufacturing costs though. On the other hand it is indeed nice to support locally (as in EU) made gear for a change :)

While I most certainly agree and wish these products were (a lot) cheaper, I do think the IE800 is clearly a step up sonically over the Westone's and Shure's offerings, at least certainly better than the UM3X, W4 & SE535 (though, as is always the case, there will no doubt be those who may genuinely prefer those over the IE800).

It's a shame, though, the IE800 has got such a terribly microphionic cable—absolutely unforgivable for a company like Sennheiser and such an expensive statement product!—AND shorter than the actual stated specs (by a 'mere' 11cm, no less!!).

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #1,100 of 7,998
Quote:
On a semi-related note, after getting the HD800s, I've seriously started to question flat(tish) graphs/responses which are considered 'ideal' for IEMs. I believe at present that such graphs are rather flawed—again, I'm talking ONLY IEMs here. What I hear from the wonderfully (fairly) flat HD800 is not what I hear from so-called flat-sounding IEMs. In that sense, I don't find the IE800 low-end 'flaws' as severe, particularly when this IEM is meant to be used out and about where low freqs are seriously affected.

Another interesting thing I found about the IE800s is that they isolate better than I'd anticipated, and certainly better than the K3003s, and not that far from other good isolating IEMs such as Westones and Shures. This I tested the only time I've used my IE800s outside the house, where on a trip to London during the Xmas holidays they were surprisingly good/efficient during both flights and when used on the fairly loud London underground.

Headphones go through the same compensation as IEMs, only thing that changes are the acoustic interferences when the IEM is out high acoustic impedance. What are you comparing the HD800 to that is so called flat? There are many ways to be close to flat, it's not just one sound. There are specific things to consider, it's not that simple. 

I agree with others, IE800 is too bassy. An IEM that is meant for commuting should have good isolation, bass boost wouldn't be that much necessary afterwards, otherwise you just introduce masking. IE800's bass is a bit excessive IMO and it's treble needs to be damped. Still a great IEM, but I don't think it's a matter of price-to-performance when the price is so jacked up. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,101 of 7,998
I may be buying the IE800's to compare to the k3003/334/jh3A/pp6 on my hm901. I may sell either the k3003 or the ie800 depending on which I like less; might probably be the senn. PM if you are curious/interested.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,103 of 7,998
Comply haven't got a listing of compatible tips for the ie800 yet. I'd imagine they will soon, though if someone could measure the o.d. of their ie800's you could find out pretty quick.
The tips may be interchangeable with the ie80's?

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,104 of 7,998
Hi may I ask to the owners, which is bigger the L tips or the M-L large one? sorry, my ie800 eartips is still with my friend and is busy so i haven't got a reply from him yet. Here's the one i'm using I don't know if this is the medium or large please tell me

Unfortunately I am having sibilance issues with my unit. Out of the box before, it was worse. Had it loaned to a friend and after some time, base on my experience it has gradually decreased but still there which is I am worried. I am giving giving them day-to-day burn in at 12hrs/day

the "ss" is kind of painful at times. Ref. tracks T.Swift's Mine and L. Bizkit's Take A look Around (each time Fred says the "s" on every word it's darting my ears), much worse is my other track that is really sibilant fault.

I've been A/Bing this with the Tralucent Audio 1plus2 and it isn't sibilant with these.

I really wanted to A/B them but the sibilance is just preventing me to have an extensive listening. I have no idea if it's the tips (i hope it is) 'coz if it's not then I'm doomed.

So far for me, the ie800 is a real contender to the 1plus2 no kidding. I would prefer this over my tg334. The instrument separation on the ie800 is very very good I must say

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,105 of 7,998
Hi may I ask to the owners, which is bigger the L tips or the M-L large one? sorry, my ie800 eartips is still with my friend and is busy so i haven't got a reply from him yet. Here's the one i'm using I don't know if this is the medium or large please tell me

Unfortunately I am having sibilance issues with my unit. Out of the box before, it was worse. Had it loaned to a friend and after some time, base on my experience it has gradually decreased but still there which is I am worried. I am giving giving them day-to-day burn in at 12hrs/day

the "ss" is kind of painful at times. Ref. tracks T.Swift's Mine and L. Bizkit's Take A look Around (each time Fred says the "s" on every word it's darting my ears), much worse is my other track that is really sibilant fault.

I've been A/Bing this with the Tralucent Audio 1plus2 and it isn't sibilant with these.

I really wanted to A/B them but the sibilance is just preventing me to have an extensive listening. I have no idea if it's the tips (i hope it is) 'coz if it's not then I'm doomed.

So far for me, the ie800 is a real contender to the 1plus2 no kidding. I would prefer this over my tg334. The instrument separation on the ie800 is very very good I must say

I like the IE800 as well but the design irks me a little. I was seriously considering it at one point though.

Sibilance issue is another. The demo I tried had it as well so :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,106 of 7,998
Quote:

I do not know about the tips, but it never sounds sibilant to me, so it must be the tips...If they did not have overbearing bass they would compete with the 1plus2 indeed. I do like the sig better than that of the 334. If you pair the IE800 with the Tera player, the bass is a little less forward and they sound wonderful.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,107 of 7,998
I do not know about the tips, but it never sounds sibilant to me, so it must be the tips...If they did not have overbearing bass they would compete with the 1plus2 indeed. I do like the sig better than that of the 334. If you pair the IE800 with the Tera player, the bass is a little less forward and they sound wonderful.

Unfortunately this sibilance issue has hit me again even playing it on my tera player. They are much more painful than the hd800 tbh. Sibilance on my hd800 is there but very tolerable as long as you give them enough power and I don't have complaints on it.

Bass, yeah.. on some of my songs they are too much. I don't know if my burn in period will have slight improvements. For now, I am more concern on the sibilance. I hope the M-L oval tips will do it for me.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,108 of 7,998
I can't personally stand the IE800 stock, I use Rin's dampers to tame it, even then I think I need two layers...lol and yeah too much bass, BA200 has a more proper boosted bass imo. 

Make sure your insertion is very shallow though

I have a VERY important mod tip for the IE800. Simply stuff the inside of the tips with foam. Then use the biggest size you can use, the foam will help you get a seal with shallow insertion, this is the best way to use these. 

I will be sending dampers and the foam inserts for the IE800 that is going on tour. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,109 of 7,998
Quote:
Unfortunately this sibilance issue has hit me again even playing it on my tera player. They are much more painful than the hd800 tbh. Sibilance on my hd800 is there but very tolerable as long as you give them enough power and I don't have complaints on it.

Bass, yeah.. on some of my songs they are too much. I don't know if my burn in period will have slight improvements. For now, I am more concern on the sibilance. I hope the M-L oval tips will do it for me.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the ie800, especially regarding silbilance.

Have you just tried using the largest tips that comes with the earphones. I agree with everyone else that a shallow insertion is a must! Hope it works out for you in the end, as the ie800 is a very fine pair of earphones..........

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #1,110 of 7,998
this is already with shallow insertion. I think i'm already using the largest tip base on the picture and if the largest tip is larger than the oval ones then my burn in process would be my past hope I guess. the burn in worked on my hd800 before i hope it does again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back