Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,021 of 7,998
Quote:
250usd is too low.
I have IE8 with the Twag v2 cables and ie800 is still the clear winner despite me paying as much as the IE800 with that expensive twag cable.

I feel it's not for everyone and sennheiser might have up the bass too much for people's liking.

But there's actually singers who uses the IE8 for their concert, perhaps the noise was so much they felt the bass was lacking, thus on the ie800, the bass could be pumped up to make for the lower frequency loss at a concert. 

Afterall it's quite a hefty price tagged IEM. They're probably looking at catering for singers who didn't like CIEMs.

sure the 250usd price is not for you, but my 250usd ex800st/7550 is a clear winner in most aspects and both share a similar tonality as well. although the ie800 really got rid of the midbass hump from ie8 and ie80 which is a very good thing, the bass is still overpowering even with tracks that doesnt require bass. its "transparency" alone is not worth a hundred dollars :p and that cable noise... even my soundmagic E30 doesnt have that kind of noise, the noise is as nasty as that 30usd vsonic VC02. also i think it has proprietary tips? not sure if we can change the tips (i didnt backread from the start, sorry)

and yep they are marketed for audiophiles, not singers. i bet this would be a seller if sennheiser tones down the bass for about 50%.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,024 of 7,998
Quote:
This needs to be posted: http://rinchoi.blogspot.fi/2013/03/sennheiser-ie800.html

Highly recommended read. One of my favorite bloggers has measured the IE800 and finds it the perfect Tripple.fi 10 upgrade. Some marketing talk, but around half of the marketing talk ends up being legit. He mentions adding a piece of acoustic cloth to the filter to somehow to improve the frequency response? Could someone explain the mod in more detail? I also found it interesting to notice that the IE800 measures better with shallow insertion, something I´ve noticed today by chance. When I came home I switched the tips to the smaller ones which seal a little bit less and started pulling the IEM back a little bit after insertion and behold, it sounded better...

It's basically a small cloth that's in the shape and size of the grill that you place on the tip of the IE800, dampens it a tiny bit. Definitely sounds better with it, been using IE800 this way. IE800 is way better than expected, it's very good, though IMO Rin's modded IEMs are better, but that's cheating :wink:

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,028 of 7,998
Quote:
This needs to be posted: http://rinchoi.blogspot.fi/2013/03/sennheiser-ie800.html

Quote:
Update: at the risk of being accused that I'm imagining things, I found out today that wearing the IE800 downward with a shallower seal makes them actually less sibilant than over-ear with a deeper seal. It's a slight but noticeable difference and goes against all my prior experience with IEMs, but yeah, that's how I hear it. Maybe Sennheiser tuned them intentionally for a shallower seal, I don't know... maybe someone with a better technical understanding of these things will care to chime in...

Here's something that I posted on this thread 4 months ago. Guess I wasn't imagining things back then. Thanks, Rin!
smile_phones.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,029 of 7,998
The IE800 is a strange beast. I guess this also explains why the Y-splitter to IEM cord is so short - this isn´t meant to be worn over the ear at all. The instructions manual also only shows it worn cord down. Huge thanks (and of course you James for loaning him the IEM!) to Rin for doing these tests! Has anyone tested Rin´s suggested modification yet? It should be very easy as the cloth piece can just be put between the two metal filters. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,030 of 7,998
The IE800 is a strange beast. I guess this also explains why the Y-splitter to IEM cord is so short - this isn´t meant to be worn over the ear at all. The instructions manual also only shows it worn cord down. Huge thanks (and of course you James for loaning him the IEM!) to Rin for doing these tests! Has anyone tested Rin´s suggested modification yet? It should be very easy as the cloth piece can just be put between the two metal filters. 

I still can't successfully wear these in the down position. I remain very, very happy with the sound worn over the ear.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #1,031 of 7,998
hi guys!!... just wanna ask... do u guys listening ie800 without any amping + Dac? only dap?

1 question will CLAS be a good pair with fiio e12? planning to pair it with ie800 do u think is a great idea? lol... have u guys done it before? can give me some impression of it?

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,032 of 7,998
Great to catch up on this thread. I continue to love the Rockboxed Classic + Pico Slim + IE800 combination. I do think that it sounds better than straight out of the Classic (which is admittedly output-impedance-challenged). Stepdance also sounds very good. I prefer it with many headphones to the Pico Slim, certainly with the ES5, but the Pico Slim is my favorite with the IE800. I have a Pico Power on the way; looking forward to trying that also.

This mod is interesting. If I understand correctly, it just involves placing cloth between the respective grills on the IE800 and the tip.. so easy to do and just as easy to reverse. Stay tuned.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,034 of 7,998
Quote:
If I am correct based on what I have read pico will not alter the ie800 sq and the bass will still be dominant right?

That is generally right but... I do find that the the Pico Slim opens up the soundstage, adding air and making the sound a bit less thick. That was not welcome with the ES5 to my taste but is very welcome with the IE800. 

The IE800 bass is still the IE800 bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back