Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #556 of 7,998
More like IE8,000,000 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #557 of 7,998
Seriously guys, I would have been entirely happy if they'd just kept the IE8/80 design. More supple and less microphonic cable, removable at the earpieces, over-ear friendly length, optional short replacement cable. It was pretty much perfect in my book.

The new design is a complete dud in comparison. Seems almost like they let the trainee do it. :p

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #558 of 7,998
Quote:

The new design is a complete dud in comparison. Seems almost like they let the trainee do it. :p

That sentence there must be like a lightning bolt to Sennheiser being very proud designers and all  

However James did say they were perfect for his commuting needs - so perhaps no hit squad dispatched yet :p

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #559 of 7,998
Quote:

That sentence there must be like a lightning bolt to Sennheiser being very proud designers and all  

However James did say they were perfect for his commuting needs - so perhaps no hit squad dispatched yet :p

The thing is their designers are actually limiting the market appeal that this IEM could and should cater too. In that they are limiting their overall profit margin. Probably time to fire those engineers lol :wink:.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #560 of 7,998
We're ramping up production of the IE 800. A unit is on its way to Jude. Look out for his impression
wink_face.gif

Quote:
dang, our friendly marketing manager from sennheiser asia didnt bring the ie800 for demo because it will be "released" by early 2013 =(

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 28, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #561 of 7,998
I'm looking forward to his review to know what makes a single 7mm dynamic driver universal IEM cost $800 some odd dollars.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #562 of 7,998
Quote:
We're ramping up production of the IE 800. A unit is on its way to Jude. Look out for his impression
wink_face.gif

didnt know sennheiser had anyone on here- surprise surprise !!

a little surprised too at how the release of this flagship iem has been managed - actually it doesnt seem managed at all - 

i just expected that all the top reviewers would have had a pair by now and that there would have been some sort of worldwide launch with units actually in stock to generate some buzz and get everyone talking about them. Maybe a brand like Senheiser doesnt have to bother as people will eventually buy anyway - time will tell :)

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #563 of 7,998
At least from what I've heard so far they don't really sound like they are worth the price tag. Anyways I'll be demoing them sometime next year along with the Fit Ear 334s so I'll come to my own conclusion then :wink:.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #564 of 7,998
Quote:
didnt know sennheiser had anyone on here- surprise surprise !!

a little surprised too at how the release of this flagship iem has been managed - actually it doesnt seem managed at all - 

i just expected that all the top reviewers would have had a pair by now and that there would have been some sort of worldwide launch with units actually in stock to generate some buzz and get everyone talking about them. Maybe a brand like Senheiser doesnt have to bother as people will eventually buy anyway - time will tell :)

I will disagree. There are not many headphone enthusiasts in the world. Probably 80% of them are gathered here. Of them, maybe 1% are looking forward to a day 1 purchase.

Sennheiser would stir up a lot of noise for nothing. In the end, maybe even be badmouthed for Beats marketing. Less is more. Let good products advertise themselves. We really don't need bang and boom around here.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #565 of 7,998
I will disagree. There are not many headphone enthusiasts in the world. Probably 80% of them are gathered here. Of them, maybe 1% are looking forward to a day 1 purchase.

Sennheiser would stir up a lot of noise for nothing. In the end, maybe even be badmouthed for Beats marketing. Less is more. Let good products advertise themselves. We really don't need bang and boom around here.

I think that's true to a point. I'm not one big into conspiracy theories and whatnot but in think there are definitely some employees or people on payroll that have some leverage around headfi. That's not necessarily bad though because there are still many people who are somewhat unbiased... Or at least try to be haha and the companies generally make good products anyway.

As for the 800's I'm looking forward to the reviews. They seem pretty expensive but from what I'veheard there are few people disappointed by sennheiser products, and they have great customer support in the event anything goes wrong.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #566 of 7,998
A friend of mine, who's a big fan of the HD600, recently got the IE800 and his impressions are quite interesting:

- bass is remarkably similar to the HD600, just slightly more elevated and a tad less refined
- mids and highs are also very similar to the HD600
- overall closest to the HD600 out of all IEMs he's heard (which are quite a few)
- bass quantity is where it should be (more realistic than "flat" IEMs)
- no treble harshness, peaks or sibilance

Needless to say, he's very happy overall, even though he agrees with some of my criticism about design. 

I've only heard the HD600 once in a short audition, so I don't feel qualified to comment on his comparison, but still thought it was worth posting. Tbo, we're both a bit puzzled about our different perception of treble. While I too don't perceive it as particularly harsh or spiky, I've immediately re-run my usual sibilance tests (Stacy Kent, Jane Taylor, etc.) and again found the IE800 to sound borderline sibilant, even when worn downward. Hope these don't turn out to be as controversal as the EX1000 in that regard...

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #567 of 7,998
Quote:
A friend of mine, who's a big fan of the HD600, recently got the IE800 and his impressions are quite interesting:

- bass is remarkably similar to the HD600, just slightly more elevated and a tad less refined
- overall closest to the HD600 out of all IEMs he's heard (which are quite a few)

Needless to say, he's very happy overall, even though he agrees with some of my criticism about design. 

I've only heard the HD600 once in a short audition, so I don't feel qualified to comment on his comparison, but still thought it was worth posting. Tbo, we're both a bit puzzled about our different perception of treble. While I too don't perceive it as particularly harsh or spiky, I've immediately re-run my usual sibilance tests (Stacy Kent, Jane Taylor, etc.) and again found the IE800 to sound borderline sibilant, even when worn downward. Hope these don't turn out to be as controversal as the EX1000 in that regard...

James, do you own any customs? 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #569 of 7,998
Quote:

Interesting. The HD600 is quite a good headphone. It is lighter and more neutral than the HD650 without the infamous dark veil. I might describe it as both clean and upbeat in presentation.

I consider that comparison to be quite a good recommendation. I am more interested in the IE800 with each passing day. However I expect that it will all come to down to fit. I have huge ear canals. Perhaps the large (or medium) ovals will be a charm.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #570 of 7,998
I have huge ear canals, too. My usual tip choice is large UE TF10 silicons, large olives or large hybrids. The largest IE800 tips are slightly smaller than large UE TF10 silicons. I'm able to get a secure deep over-ear fit with them. But for the shallower downward fit, I need to add foamies or a second layer of silicons underneath the stock tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back