Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 17, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #452 of 7,998
Quote:
Thanks to a tweet from Custom Cable yesterday I managed to get a set of IE800's that have only just arrived by Royal Mail.

The box is very understated,  no marketing blurb or even specifications on the box just "Sennheiser IE800, Outstanding In-Ear Sound System" and an authenticity hologram on the side.

From the all the rendered press photos everyone has posted I did think it was going to be a lot bigger but the cable, connectors and the ear buds themselves are just tiny. The buds are so small it is very hard to read the left/right markings luckily the left bud has a raised bump.  The buds themselves are like little jewels they remind me of the Panasonic HJE900's that were made of Zirconium the IE800's are just a lot smaller.

You get five sets of silicon ear tips S,M,ML,L if these don't fit you are out of luck as Sennheiser is using a new system were you actually have to click the tips onto the ear buds.  Luckily the large tips give me a good seal and as they are so tiny and light they have completely disappeared into my ears.

They seem to be designed only to be worn with the cables down as the cable from the split is too short.  For people with smaller heads it may be okay but for me the connector block was hitting my neck.

As for first impressions at least to my ears the box is correct,  "Outstanding"

at long last someone has got them in their hot little hands/ears - outstanding is a good first impression - often my first impression is the right one

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #453 of 7,998
The stainless steel vents are a bit strange,  you can see small holes at the bottom but covering them up with your finger doesn't seem to effect the sound at all.

As they are so small they go pretty deep in the ear canal and seem to isolate pretty well as in so far as I couldn't hear the TV playing over my music.  I really need to test them outside with the London Underground being the ultimate test. 

--
Iain

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #455 of 7,998
Quote:
I was hoping James would get them first as I love his reviews.

--
Iain

for now - your the man LOL

are you able to describe the soundstage or detail - what other high end iems have you experience with that you can compare to ?

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #457 of 7,998
congratulation!
popcorn.gif
waiting for your impression.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #458 of 7,998
Quote:
Thanks to a tweet from Custom Cable yesterday I managed to get a set of IE800's that have only just arrived by Royal Mail.

The box is very understated,  no marketing blurb or even specifications on the box just "Sennheiser IE800, Outstanding In-Ear Sound System" and an authenticity hologram on the side.

From the all the rendered press photos everyone has posted I did think it was going to be a lot bigger but the cable, connectors and the ear buds themselves are just tiny. The buds are so small it is very hard to read the left/right markings luckily the left bud has a raised bump.  The buds themselves are like little jewels they remind me of the Panasonic HJE900's that were made of Zirconium the IE800's are just a lot smaller.

You get five sets of silicon ear tips S,M,ML,L if these don't fit you are out of luck as Sennheiser is using a new system were you actually have to click the tips onto the ear buds.  Luckily the large tips give me a good seal and as they are so tiny and light they have completely disappeared into my ears.

They seem to be designed only to be worn with the cables down as the cable from the split is too short.  For people with smaller heads it may be okay but for me the connector block was hitting my neck.

As for first impressions at least to my ears the box is correct,  "Outstanding"

Quote:
I was hoping James would get them first as I love his reviews.

--
Iain

Iain, thanks for the compliment, and more thanks for your first impressions. Though I have to say, apart from your confirmation of outstanding sound quality, they're actually making me second-guess my order. I have rather large ears and a large head, so proprietory tips and over-ear use are both a cause for concern. Looks like it would be more prudent to wait and try these at a local dealer rather than import them from Germany. Hmm...

Quote:
for now - your the man LOL

Agreed!
smile_phones.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #460 of 7,998
Quote:
at 1k they're too expensive, and even commanding that price, i do not think they're any better than the HD650s.

beside you cant replace the cables...i think that IE80 + Bladur MKII cable will do better... correct me if i was wrong

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #462 of 7,998
Nov 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #463 of 7,998
Quote:
beside you cant replace the cables...i think that IE80 + Bladur MKII cable will do better... correct me if i was wrong

I have the Twags v2 paired with my IE8, im pretty content with it, other than for it's isolation.

But it does help me in a sense when there's traffic or thing around me, i get better awareness than total isolation.

That said I need to listen to these ie800 to judge.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #464 of 7,998
Okay guys I will try my best to answer any question, obviously if you can test drive these first all the better as they are so very expensive and some of my comments may be new toy syndrome. 

The IE800 cable is 1.2m according to the Sennhierser web site but is it only 25cm from the buds to the cable cinch, IE8's in comparison have 40cm before the split.  It is a shame as over the ear works so well and helps take the weight of the cable splitter even though it's not that heavy.

The tips have hard plastic clips in the nozzle end and an additional mesh as part of the tip so would be pretty tricky to mod. I have asked Custom Cable to check with Sennheiser on the availability of spare tips as it will be a problem if you lose the one tip that fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back