Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 1, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #5,596 of 7,998
Good advice there. £600 is h/phone money for me. As far as portable dac/amps, they make good h/phones leagues ahead of equivalent priced in ears. My 6 will go to Audeze el-8 or Sony 7 with an amp/dac.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #5,597 of 7,998
I have just found this forum, and am fascinated by the breadth of knowledge here. I will be using the newest iPhone, and have a couple of questions. ( don't worry, soon as I feel worthy, I'll be contributing answers)

I just ordered my ie800s and get them Tuesday. Here are my ideas, please feel free to tell me I'm dumb, or what ever! I am truly looking to learn

Would I benefit from a separate DAC/amp, naturally hooking into the Lightning jack. (I wouldn't think that hooking anything into the 3.5" jack which is analog, would make any diff)

If I would benefit from this, would I also benefit from one with an EQ in it, or are there decent apps to use for this on the phone. Can you guys make any recommendations?

I would really like to use lossless formats, but I know that iTunes has no capability of this. I try to stay at 320 or higher for my format, I don't think I have anything 128, and I have about 50,000 songs. Additionally, I have Apple Music, which is no where close to FLAC or OGG, wish something could be done on that front. Is there a player I can use on my iPhone>? Or am I just better getting something external?

I'll stop here, so as not to just ask ask ask, but this is all new to me.

I'm somewhat of an audiophile, I have a huge system in my car (details on request). My home headphones are stax pro lamda 3s, with an adcom amp. My family room/theater has some really lovely stuff too, so I feel I have invested in good sound, and this is my latest foray into that.

Thanks so much for the help all!

RL

Using an an additional amp with the IE800? You'll get plenty of answers from plenty of people, and they'll all be different. About all you can do is weigh the various anecdotes you get.

In my case, I wanted to see if providing additional power via the Oppo HA-2 amp would make much difference compared to using the IE800 straight out of a Sony ZX2 (which is widely known for its relatively low driving power). In short: not really.

As for lossless and EQing, I'd suggest the Onkyo HF player. It offers a ton of EQ options and plays lossless files (FLAC, DSD, etc.). And if you do eventually decide to get an external DAC, it can send the raw data out of the iPhone and to the DAC, so it can process it directly (tho, I believe you need to pay $10 bucks to unlock that feature).

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #5,598 of 7,998
I treat my ie800's like camping gear. Yank them in and out of bag, pockets. Wear them everywhere. If I take them out of my ears I might tuck the earpieces under my shirt, against my chest. No problems. No changes.

I beg to differ! I HAVe found that after a while the included air buds tend to slip off and become loose and worse yet can get stuck in your ear.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #5,599 of 7,998
I have just found this forum, and am fascinated by the breadth of knowledge here. I will be using the newest iPhone, and have a couple of questions. ( don't worry, soon as I feel worthy, I'll be contributing answers)

I just ordered my ie800s and get them Tuesday. Here are my ideas, please feel free to tell me I'm dumb, or what ever! I am truly looking to learn

Would I benefit from a separate DAC/amp, naturally hooking into the Lightning jack. (I wouldn't think that hooking anything into the 3.5" jack which is analog, would make any diff)

If I would benefit from this, would I also benefit from one with an EQ in it, or are there decent apps to use for this on the phone. Can you guys make any recommendations?

I would really like to use lossless formats, but I know that iTunes has no capability of this. I try to stay at 320 or higher for my format, I don't think I have anything 128, and I have about 50,000 songs. Additionally, I have Apple Music, which is no where close to FLAC or OGG, wish something could be done on that front. Is there a player I can use on my iPhone>? Or am I just better getting something external?

I'm somewhat of an audiophile, I have a huge system in my car (details on request). My home headphones are stax pro lamda 3s, with an adcom amp. My family room/theater has some really lovely stuff too, so I feel I have invested in good sound, and this is my latest foray into that.

RL

I'll be the first to say it, but you will read it in various threads for the next six months until you are sick of hearing it!

For best buck audio sound, get a Chord Mojo between your phone and ie800s. It's a DAC that doubles as an amp and can even drive HD800s, if desired. The Mojo thread is rather long and has dozens of iPhone users. The only caveat, silly iPhone has to have a camera connecting kit to pass through digital audio.

But results are different class to just a phone with a so-so DAC and amp. Again, some can't hear the difference, but then with the gear you have, sure you would appreciate it.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #5,600 of 7,998
I'll be the first to say it, but you will read it in various threads for the next six months until you are sick of hearing it!

For best buck audio sound, get a Chord Mojo between your phone and ie800s. It's a DAC that doubles as an amp and can even drive HD800s, if desired. The Mojo thread is rather long and has dozens of iPhone users. The only caveat, silly iPhone has to have a camera connecting kit to pass through digital audio.

But results are different class to just a phone with a so-so DAC and amp. Again, some can't hear the difference, but then with the gear you have, sure you would appreciate it.

+1 for mojo

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #5,601 of 7,998
+1 for mojo too! It's such a little wonderful thing. I ever paired ie800 with iphone and now s7, neither of them can drive them well. With a mojo, ie800 sings! mojo enlarges the soundstage and adds weight, making the good things much better.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #5,602 of 7,998
It's shocking but Fiio X5ii still hold best companion to ie800 for me. The rather hot treble still satisfies me best. Just as a side note, when there is something going out of me other headphones I have the treble boosted +6 up to +10 DB, so it might be a very personal preference.

Mojo sure is a handy thing to have around, especially as it fits the tastes of most people just right. I think it's between getting Mojo and connecting it to a phone or getting a Fiio X7. Just in my case again, I kind of preferred X7, but mostly because of it's versatility in changing the sound using those gems named amp modules. They sure are nice to have when you want another signature. 

About ie800, it's still the king too for me. No matter what else I tested so far, nothing managed to steal their place. On the other hand, there is a large number of headphones I haven't tested yet, so my predictions are based off everything one can test inside Romania. 

Hopefully I'll have the chance to test more great IEMs and headphones soon!

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #5,603 of 7,998
  It's shocking but Fiio X5ii still hold best companion to ie800 for me. ............

The Fiio X3 Gen II is none too shabby either, considered the Mojo and I’m sure it’s an excellent amp but for my intended purpose I’d be adding another piece of equipment and for portable use (shirt pocket) the X3 is about as large as I’d like to go, IMHO drives the  ie800s just fine.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #5,604 of 7,998

Or you can use the Fiio L19 cable to go direct from Lightning port to Mojo - no CCK required.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #5,605 of 7,998

RL

I did a review of the Mojo using the IE800 and my iPhone. My expectations were incredibly high, and it lived up to them. Probably the best portable solution for the dollar you can get if you want to listen on your iPhone. I use a Creative SoundBlaster E5 DAC and a PicoSlim amp. I like my current stack, but the Mojo was significantly better and MSRPs for the same price as those two combined. My IE800s sound really good on my current stack, but the Mojo made it sound like I was listening to the HD600 with the bass of the Hifiman 400i. I got my stack on eBay for half price, but the Mojo never really sells on the secondary market for less than $500. So you might as well buy it new if you have the budget for a $600 DAC.

Here's the review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/795235/chord-mojo-loaner-program-signup-and-review-thread/15#post_12618308

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #5,606 of 7,998
heard IE800 with my mojo, so now i am on the hunt for this IE800. :D

those looking to get a mojo, here is a good deal, only 442 usd

http://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-mojo-portable-dac-headphone-amplifier.html

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #5,608 of 7,998
................... I don't think IE800 was designed for portable use. It's a ridiculous design for portable use.

Not to argue but each to their own, for me the IE800s are just perfect for portable use, tiny and unobtrusive, I almost forget I’ve them in my ears until I need to hear what’s around me or I’m being spoken to.
Top that with excellent full range audio reaching into sub territory with great sound stage and imaging and you’ve got an audiophile’s tool on the go, not to mention they are relatively easy to drive and sound great even off a phone.
Except for the two piece cable, I’d prefer one piece hard wired from the drivers to the amp (hate detachable cables, they IMHO definitely degrade the sound) and less micro-phonics and... the length's about perfect…but hey....
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #5,609 of 7,998
  Not to argue but each to their own, for me the IE800s are just perfect for portable use, tiny and unobtrusive, I almost forget I’ve them in my ears until I need to hear what’s around me or I’m being spoken to.
Top that with excellent full range audio reaching into sub territory with great sound stage and imaging and you’ve got an audiophile’s tool on the go, not to mention they are relatively easy to drive and sound great even off a phone.
Except for the two piece cable, I’d prefer one piece hard wired from the drivers to the amp (hate detachable cables, they IMHO definitely degrade the sound) and less micro-phonics and... the length's about perfect…but hey....
smile.gif

But the tips. Oh my goodness! If you carelessly pull the cable, the tips will definitely fall out from the cavity and if you are hurrying to go to work, will you stop a few minutes to looking for it on the road?! And that heavy middle connection, what's the freak! I really hate the design!!

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #5,610 of 7,998
But the tips. Oh my goodness! If you carelessly pull the cable, the tips will definitely fall out from the cavity and if you are hurrying to go to work, will you stop a few minutes to looking for it on the road?! And that heavy middle connection, what's the freak! I really hate the design!!

Just a suggestion, but if you regularly clean the tips with dish liquid (not so much for wax but the skin oils that lubricate everything) then dry throughly, the tips tend to not slip off the earpiece so easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back