Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #4,531 of 7,998
Speaking about Tidal...

I backed on the Echobox Explorer X1 when the campaign was still running and pre-ordered a unit for a really good Indiegogo price. Very interested to see/hear how it performs.

I am no streaming guy and prefer my CDs that I copy to FLAC and MP3 with Foobar, but as the Explorer perk I backed on comes with 6 months of Tital, I might use it during that time.

Yeah I don't actually stream as such. I download these music to the phone while at home and play as offline content. Essentially 16/44 flac

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,532 of 7,998
  Hi guys, I currently have the IE80 and am eyeing the IE800.
Can someone please tell me whether the IE800 can achieve the same level of isolation as IE80 + comply tips? Thanks!
(or in a more qualitative term: when music is playing and someone speak to you from behind, you can't hear them XD)

Isolation is relatively worse if you use the stock tips.  If you can get comply tips that fit and don't fall off, the isolation should be comparable.  I use custom mold tips and I can barely hear people talking if listening at a moderate volume.  I can't understand what they are saying that's for sure.  These are not open IEMs.  

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #4,533 of 7,998
  Isolation is relatively worse if you use the stock tips.  If you can get comply tips that fit and don't fall off, the isolation should be comparable.  I use custom mold tips and I can barely hear people talking if listening at a moderate volume.  I can't understand what they are saying that's for sure.  These are not open IEMs.  

That's encouraging, thanks for the input guys!

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #4,534 of 7,998

I am currently wearing mine over the ear with ortofon tips (hacked the small tips to turn them into a nozzle for generic tips. Works a treat).

Or of interest what custom tips do you use? I was looking into the Lear ones in the coming year.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #4,535 of 7,998
I am currently wearing mine over the ear with ortofon tips (hacked the small tips to turn them into a nozzle for generic tips. Works a treat).

Or of interest what custom tips do you use? I was looking into the Lear ones in the coming year.

I got them at a place in HK called widex.  They're silicone and pretty comfortable.  I think it's about 80 USD including impressions.  

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #4,537 of 7,998
Hey,

Sorry. Did not know that they are not open...

My Fisher Audio Silver Bullets in comparison do isolate a lot better.

You can use the Ie800 also in the subway... But in my opinion, i think that there are better Iems in terms of isolation.
Just loving the Sound with the white Dunu Ear Tips

Nice holidays to you all!

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #4,538 of 7,998
  I own both. 

Ie800 isolates worlds better. I mean, so much more isolation. 

With ie80 I could hear almost anything around me, even with comply, because of the open bass port in the back, but with ie800, if you achieve a seal, there is no problem with isolation, ever. 

The ports in the back are not subwoofer ports, but helmholtz resonators, they are not fully open, they have pressure equalizing vents, they do not leak any sound by themselves, they even the resonance. 

As an overall idea, from every IEM and headphone I owned, or spend long times with, Ie800 is the best in almost all aspects, even isolation, with music going on, I could not hear anything in subway or busy Kaufland within holidays. I had to buy something, I could not hear even the cashier telling me how much it costed me, I had to take off Ie800 and ask again. Without music playing. 

Lol, I own both too, and for me it's the other way round!

IE8/80 offer great isolation, if you can fit them correctly, since the tapered housing / nozzle adds to isolation. The bass port is actually inside the housing and the back screw isn't much of a vent.

IE800 with stock tips and comparatively shallower isolation offer ime a little less isolation. Third party tips may be different though.

You can use the Ie800 also in the subway... But in my opinion, i think that there are better Iems in terms of isolation.

Agreed.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #4,539 of 7,998
Interesting...

In my ears, IE 800's isolation is upper mediocrity and IE 80 isolates clearly less (although I get a good seal). I have to say though that I insert the IE 800 quite deep in my ear canals.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #4,540 of 7,998
  Interesting...

In my ears, IE 800's isolation is upper mediocrity and IE 80 isolates clearly less (although I get a good seal). I have to say though that I insert the IE 800 quite deep in my ear canals.

For me, the IE800's strain reliefs simply prevent deep insertion when worn downwards.

I can wear them deeper with cable over-ears. But to my ears, the D2CA don't work correctly that way and I get more sibilance. Rin's measurements also suggest shallow insertion for the IE800 ("ON SECOND THOUGHT #1 and #2").

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #4,541 of 7,998

For me, the IE800's strain reliefs simply prevent deep insertion when worn downwards.

I can wear them deeper with cable over-ears. But to my ears, the D2CA don't work correctly that way and I get more sibilance. Rin's measurements also suggest shallow insertion for the IE800 ("ON SECOND THOUGHT #1 and #2")​

I agree with you, worn down, the sound might be a little better, but I get to wear them over the ear, so I do a deep insertion, and this is why for me they isolate so well
biggrin.gif

I think that the Helmholtz resonators work for my ears even when work over the ear, just adds a little sibilance. But not that much.

​.
Hey,

Sorry. Did not know that they are not open...

My Fisher Audio Silver Bullets in comparison do isolate a lot better.

Just loving the Sound with the white Dunu Ear Tips

Nice holidays to you all!

Of course, I agree that there will always be better IEMs in terms of isolation, not to mention customs.

Lol, I own both too, and for me it's the other way round!

IE8/80 offer great isolation, if you can fit them correctly, since the tapered housing / nozzle adds to isolation. The bass port is actually inside the housing and the back screw isn't much of a vent.

IE800 with stock tips and comparatively shallower isolation offer ime a little less isolation. Third party tips may be different though.

Agreed.

I strongly belive that I get a much shallower seal with ie80 due to bigger nozzle and body, so this might be why Ie800 isolates better.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #4,542 of 7,998
I've recently got hold of a pair of IE800s ( about 1 month now) and I'm genuinely surprised about how these sound. Very impressive bass, coherent mids and excellent highs. They rival full sized headphones!

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #4,544 of 7,998

I can wear them deeper with cable over-ears. But to my ears, the D2CA don't work correctly that way and I get more sibilance. Rin's measurements also suggest shallow insertion for the IE800 ("ON SECOND THOUGHT #1 and #2").

Yeah but that just falls out for me.  Even if I'm just sitting there.  I guess it's way too shallow for me.  

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #4,545 of 7,998
  are there any standalone DAP (without any stack of portable dac/amp) out there capable of driving ie800 to its maximum (or near maximum) potential ?

That's under debate.My Cayin N6 has the powerful amp and capable dac to display a very good resolution,airy soundstage and the dynamics but i am under the impression that if i connect a chord mojo or hugo the sound will be even more detailed,transparent and organic.That is according to user impressions who have ie800 and other totl iems,they continue to scale with better equipment.I was reading the mojo thread and there were guys with Paw Gold and ak380,the two best daps out there who saw benefits in some areas with their iems when connected to mojo.So in short the answer is that you will reach the capabilities of the dap before reaching that of an iem like ie800.A good place to start is something like Fioo X7,btw headfonics has posted a review and ie800 is among iems tested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back