Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 22, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #4,516 of 7,998
thank you for the input. I will check that out as well. So it seems we cannot just have an android dap which will drive the ie800s by itself.

I would ASSUME the fiio x7 would have the juice @ 100mW for them.
If not the impending amp cards would.

Also the HUM Pervasion has power a plenty and is android based.
However it is limited to 16/44 I believe, as it still plays via android, as such is limited.

That being said it has some nice specs and sounds pretty nice if you like that smoother typical Wolfson sound.
I reviewed it and quite liked it.  The only real issue I had with it was the battery life was average.

I guess another option if you happened by chance to be in the market for a new phone the LG v10 could be an option.  Its a phone but comes with the Sabre chip.

I haven't heard these with with the IE800 though so take this witha  grain of salt.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #4,517 of 7,998
thank you for the input. I will check that out as well. So it seems we cannot just have an android dap which will drive the ie800s by itself.

There are some DAPs out there that have sufficient power, though I haven't tested them myself.  Lotoo, Hifiman, FiiO, but best if you can find a store that would let you test it out now that you have the IE800s.  In general I think Japanese DAPs have trended to be lower powered.  

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #4,518 of 7,998
  There are some DAPs out there that have sufficient power, though I haven't tested them myself.  Lotoo, Hifiman, FiiO, but best if you can find a store that would let you test it out now that you have the IE800s.  In general I think Japanese DAPs have trended to be lower powered.  

Agree.
If you weren't restricted to Android there are quite a few options.

x5, x5ii
HM802, HM901/s
Lotoo Paw Gold
Questyle QP1r
DX80

Even the Ak100ii, ak120ii, ak240, ak380 all have ample power.  The Ak Jr has a bit up its sleeve also.

There are many options, will just need to try them.

Sadly Sony Dap's and phones are kind of known for being particularly weak in the amp sections.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #4,519 of 7,998
thank you everyone with the replies.

i have to have android not because i check emails or whatever but i use tidal and spotify(no judge) because i mostly dont know when i need to travel overseas and it all happens so sudden. So i always need to be ready and these apps give me the freedom i need to have. Especially with Tidals Hifi options i think im pretty close to a good sound.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4,520 of 7,998

i have to have android not because i check emails or whatever but i use tidal and spotify(no judge) because i mostly dont know when i need to travel overseas and it all happens so sudden. So i always need to be ready and these apps give me the freedom i need to have. Especially with Tidals Hifi options i think im pretty close to a good sound.

No judgement here mate.

Same reason I use the z3 compact with the mojo (as a dedicated source, my phone is a nexus 5x).
I have 128gb card full at any given time of flac yet I find I listen via Tidal offline content more than my own collection :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #4,522 of 7,998

Fiio X7 is the best bet.

I remember Fiio stating that they built it to be compatible with Tidal and Spotify, so it should fit your needs. The amp modules should be (at least one of them) enough for your needs, if not more than you needed. 

About the price of a DAP that works with Ie800, it is rather expensive, but not too expensive, in my view X5II does an amazing job and is enough by itself, but it is not Android, nor it has internet. But it sounds amazing, and is not that overly expensive. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #4,523 of 7,998
Speaking about Tidal...

I backed on the Echobox Explorer X1 when the campaign was still running and pre-ordered a unit for a really good Indiegogo price. Very interested to see/hear how it performs.

I am no streaming guy and prefer my CDs that I copy to FLAC and MP3 with Foobar, but as the Explorer perk I backed on comes with 6 months of Tital, I might use it during that time.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #4,524 of 7,998
Hey,

Here it is 

My Wonderful Combo

LG Flex 2 with Onkyo HF Player + Geek Out 450 (OTG) + Sennheiser IE800 with Dunu Ear Tips (Best Sealing, Sound and Isolation--> Finally)

All in my Custom Case =)  (I am a professional Saxophonist by the way)

Greetings Flo

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #4,525 of 7,998
Hi guys, I currently have the IE80 and am eyeing the IE800.
Can someone please tell me whether the IE800 can achieve the same level of isolation as IE80 + comply tips? Thanks!
(or in a more qualitative term: when music is playing and someone speak to you from behind, you can't hear them XD)

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,526 of 7,998
Hey

I do not own the IE80, but personally i dont think that the IE800 isolates better.

Because of the open "Subwoofer" ports in the back they cant compete with a fully closed in Ear (Shure SE 846....)

They are not made to be used in the Subway, or other noisy places... And no, you wont hear someone talking to you with the IE800 on =)

Isolation =

5.5 /10

Greetings

Flo

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #4,527 of 7,998
I think the issue is not amp. power. 800 is not hard to drive. It's about the DAC part. Like the budgeted Xduoo X3, it's very powerful, but 800 does not sound good on it. But it's sound pretty good on Explorer. Mine is the first generation, but already can drive 800 well. With line out to E12 to drive 800, It's more better.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,528 of 7,998
Can someone please tell me whether the IE800 can achieve the same level of isolation as IE80 + comply tips? Thanks!
(or in a more qualitative term: when music is playing and someone speak to you from behind, you can't hear them XD)

I loathe comply tips so much that I wouldn't recommend you invest in the IE800. If you're willing to make such a sonic compromise for sound isolation, these aren't worth the money.

I am currently listening to them using the smallest oval tips and due to their very deep insertion they're the best isolating for me, but likely not as isolating as comply tips.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #4,530 of 7,998

I own both. 

Ie800 isolates worlds better. I mean, so much more isolation. 

With ie80 I could hear almost anything around me, even with comply, because of the open bass port in the back, but with ie800, if you achieve a seal, there is no problem with isolation, ever. 

Hey

I do not own the IE80, but personally i dont think that the IE800 isolates better.

Because of the open "Subwoofer" ports in the back they cant compete with a fully closed in Ear (Shure SE 846....)

They are not made to be used in the Subway, or other noisy places... And no, you wont hear someone talking to you with the IE800 on =)

Isolation =

5.5 /10

Greetings

Flo

The ports in the back are not subwoofer ports, but helmholtz resonators, they are not fully open, they have pressure equalizing vents, they do not leak any sound by themselves, they even the resonance. 

As an overall idea, from every IEM and headphone I owned, or spend long times with, Ie800 is the best in almost all aspects, even isolation, with music going on, I could not hear anything in subway or busy Kaufland within holidays. I had to buy something, I could not hear even the cashier telling me how much it costed me, I had to take off Ie800 and ask again. Without music playing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back