Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Sep 24, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #4,172 of 7,998
  It seems to me except soundstage, IE800 is better even than HD600 in many fields: detail, imaging, 3D presentation. Of course 600 has more neutral FR, but I like low end of 800.

The IE800 is superior than my H650, and that says alot. Sadly most sees the cable issue and have avoided it, it does rival TOTL CIEMs for me. The sweet midrange and low end bass is really enjoyable.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #4,173 of 7,998
  It seems to me except soundstage, IE800 is better even than HD600 in many fields: detail, imaging, 3D presentation. Of course 600 has more neutral FR, but I like low end of 800.

The IE800 is superior than my H650, and that says alot. Sadly most sees the cable issue and have avoided it, it does rival TOTL CIEMs for me. The sweet midrange and low end bass is really enjoyable.

It is funny, because for me, hd650 and 600, are actually complimentary to ie800. Like, hd650 and 600 both have a smooth top end, where ie800 have a clear and energic top end. 

On another note, when I tested in depth, side by side, hd650 against ie800, I felt that the soundstage in ie800 was larger. I wonder if it was a problem of me not powering hd650 enough, because it sounded rather closed in, compared to ie800. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #4,174 of 7,998

It is funny, because for me, hd650 and 600, are actually complimentary to ie800. Like, hd650 and 600 both have a smooth top end, where ie800 have a clear and energic top end. 

On another note, when I tested in depth, side by side, hd650 against ie800, I felt that the soundstage in ie800 was larger. I wonder if it was a problem of me not powering hd650 enough, because it sounded rather closed in, compared to ie800. 

I believe you didn't drive HD650 well. On the other hand, we were talking of sound quality, not sound signature. We think IE800 has better overall sound quality than 600 or 650.

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #4,175 of 7,998
Bought a pair of IE800s and paired it with my Hugo.

Very impressive sound, very wide soundstage, crystal-clear sounds.

Little piercing highs, which is tiring after some hour.

Top-ever value for money (= 16 Euros). Of course, they are fakes.... :)

I wonder how much better the genuine phones are.

My main reference are a well-driven Hifiman HE-6.

A last note: my fakes are levels above my HD-650s!

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #4,176 of 7,998

Where did you get it?

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #4,177 of 7,998

Fake IE800s empphsize mid and high. Genuine IE800 more on mid and low. Fake ones have "wrong" sound. That piercing high is the main sign of wrong sound. Genuines has sound somehow similar to IE80. You can know its tuning is a Sennheiser product. But to be honest, a good fake IE800 has similar sound quality with geunine IE800. But you can hear its tuning are not Sennheiser's.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #4,178 of 7,998
  Fake IE800s empphsize mid and high. Genuine IE800 more on mid and low. Fake ones have "wrong" sound. That piercing high is the main sign of wrong sound. Genuines has sound somehow similar to IE80. You can know its tuning is a Sennheiser product. But to be honest, a good fake IE800 has similar sound quality with geunine IE800. But you can hear its tuning are not Sennheiser's.

I beg to differ. Big time actually. Genuine IE800 do have emphasized highs although indeed this is towards the upper end of the spectrum (which is not so common); depending on the material played and source they can easily be "piercing", at least to me. Now people seem to be divided about this, I assume a function of personal preferences and age/high frequency hearing acuity.

Irrespective of the above, one thing is sure: IE80 and IE800 are worlds apart in terms of sound signature. 

Now I must say that I am intrigued by the fake IE800, to these ears genuine IE800 are so unique that I can't imagine a fake fooling me - but who knows. I should give it a try. @ StryGR - can you please post a link?

PS. Yes, my IE800 (as the other three pairs I had before) are genuine. The current ones sent directly from Sennheiser as replacement.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #4,179 of 7,998
I have already posted a link.

The sound of the fake is very interesting (I do not know the sound of genuine IE800 but I have experience in TOTL headphones)!

Very wide stage, extremely clear sound, very impactful and cleat bass and great depth. But piercing mid/highs and highs (it starts from around 3.5 KHz and up)...

Voices are super clear and can play really loud effortlessly.

The cable itself is super flexible and has very little microphonics, whilst whole construction is very good.

Even the circular case that accompanies the phones is sexy. :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #4,180 of 7,998
  I beg to differ. Big time actually. Genuine IE800 do have emphasized highs although indeed this is towards the upper end of the spectrum (which is not so common); depending on the material played and source they can easily be "piercing", at least to me. Now people seem to be divided about this, I assume a function of personal preferences and age/high frequency hearing acuity.

Irrespective of the above, one thing is sure: IE80 and IE800 are worlds apart in terms of sound signature. 

Now I must say that I am intrigued by the fake IE800, to these ears genuine IE800 are so unique that I can't imagine a fake fooling me - but who knows. I should give it a try. @ StryGR - can you please post a link?

PS. Yes, my IE800 (as the other three pairs I had before) are genuine. The current ones sent directly from Sennheiser as replacement.

Yes, IE800 is v-shape sound. But fake one has ugly piercing high. I like 800's high, but I cannot even endure fake 800's high. Well, no QC for fake DIY products. So it's very possible not all fakes have very piercing high. MOreover, fake ones have obvious less quantity bass than genuines.
For 80 vs 800, No. I don't think 80 and 800 have totally different sound. Yes, it's different. But yu can still recognize they are Sennheiser's products.
Fake cannot fool you. You can tell it's not genuine by one ear. But you must be astonished by its sound quality, just as StryGR, as me. :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #4,181 of 7,998

The sound of the fake is very interesting (I do not know the sound of genuine IE800 but I have experience in TOTL headphones)!

Very wide stage, extremely clear sound, very impactful and cleat bass and great depth. But piercing mid/highs and highs (it starts from around 3.5 KHz and up)...

The cable itself is super flexible and has very little microphonics, whilst whole construction is very good.

Where is the link? COuld you post again? Thanks.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4,183 of 7,998

I don't know what's your HE6 sounds. I have bunch of Sennehiser's products and onther famous brands products though not totl, like SHP9500, KEF M200. My feeling is that those fake/DIY IE800 don't have sound as it should be. They do not sound right, maybe not the whole frequency range, but some range, especially high. They sound weird, though sound quality should be clarified as top tier.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #4,184 of 7,998
What is this buzz about the interesting sound, astonishing sound, surprising sound of the DIY fake IE800??
I'm eying ie800... if the fake is so good for that near free of cost when compared to original, i will get it...

may be a comparison between them would clarify all doubts...
anyone havign both.. you are up for clarification.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,185 of 7,998
  What is this buzz about the interesting sound, astonishing sound, surprising sound of the DIY fake IE800??
I'm eying ie800... if the fake is so good for that near free of cost when compared to original, i will get it...

may be a comparison between them would clarify all doubts...
anyone havign both.. you are up for clarification.

See my posts above. In one word, their sound is fake, just as the products are fake. Their sound is somehow twisted from the genuine sound. But base on criterions of sound quality, they are amazing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back