Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 24, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3,946 of 7,998
Agreed, they're different, doesn't take away that the TF10 at their lowest price offered great value...

I disagree with the sweeping statement of difference, but no one hears the same things the same way :)

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #3,949 of 7,998
I agree that both sound very different, but can't agree to the second part.

The T.F10 is definitely neither flat nor boring and definitely shows a v-shaped sound signature that is clearly audible when being compared to more neutral IEMs like the Shure SE425, Etymotic ER-4S or UERM, provided you manage to get a nice and tight seal. It's just that the IE 800's sounding is more "extreme" with an obviously stronger bass emphasis thatis also present in the ground tone area whereas the T.F10's bass emphasis isn't as strong and mainly focusses on the deep bass (though upper bass is also clearly emphasised) without having n emphasised ground tone.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #3,950 of 7,998
Due to constant improvements in the portable world. There are six IEMS that does it better then the TF10. For example IM70, IE800, Z5, A3, and ASG2.5. They also isolate better.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #3,951 of 7,998
Due to constant improvements in the portable world. There are six IEMS that does it better then the TF10. For example IM70, IE800, Z5, A3, and ASG2.5. They also isolate better.

Only one of those IEMs is even close to the same price range as the TF10. The TF10 is great for it's price. And newer doesn't always mean better.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #3,957 of 7,998
Okay, so I need to get that treble under control. Half of my favourite albums sound too bright to enjoy them, sibiliance on "s" and so on. I currently run the IE800 out of a FiiO x3 and a Cayin C5 amp - what do you guys think is the best solution:

1) Just buy a FiiO E12A. Simple and cheap. Change the C5 out for that. People say the E12A is a good amp for the IE800 and I'm hoping it will get the treble issue under control, since the Cayin C5 is not an IEM amp at all and probably has tonality issues.

2) Get a Pico Slim instead. Considerably more expensive, but people say it's an all around great amp for IEMs. I'm guessing the sound will be all around better than the e12A, the treble smoothed out too.  

3) Get a FiiO x5ii and if the treble is still not under control straight from the headphone out, just EQ it. (I would EQ it straight form my x3, but the amp section on that thing makes the IE800 sound muddy, so I need an amp to make it better, losing the EQ pssibility)

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #3,958 of 7,998
There's no need to change the source if you need to deal with certain frequencies not at all. So it may not be necessary getting fiio x5. An amp change in most situations would be a win. I don't know anything about Pico Slim, but I know that Fiio E12A uses Muses02 opams. There two TOTL opams - Muses01 and Muses02. They are both sold at the same price with the difference in sound signature only. Muses01 are neutral and may seem bright where Muses02 are darker sounding, so getting E12A with Muses02 might be a good idea for you. If I wanted to buy another amp to try, I'd buy E12A.

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #3,959 of 7,998
Hello the ie800 to bright??? With that bass and sub bass??? I think that the ear tips that you using are not the right for your ear canal ,try another size, the treble is in fact very alive but is perfectly balanced with the rest of the spectrum at least with cayin n6 and even better with the hm-901

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #3,960 of 7,998
  Okay, so I need to get that treble under control. Half of my favourite albums sound too bright to enjoy them, sibiliance on "s" and so on. I currently run the IE800 out of a FiiO x3 and a Cayin C5 amp - what do you guys think is the best solution:

1) Just buy a FiiO E12A. Simple and cheap. Change the C5 out for that. People say the E12A is a good amp for the IE800 and I'm hoping it will get the treble issue under control, since the Cayin C5 is not an IEM amp at all and probably has tonality issues.

2) Get a Pico Slim instead. Considerably more expensive, but people say it's an all around great amp for IEMs. I'm guessing the sound will be all around better than the e12A, the treble smoothed out too.  

3) Get a FiiO x5ii and if the treble is still not under control straight from the headphone out, just EQ it. (I would EQ it straight form my x3, but the amp section on that thing makes the IE800 sound muddy, so I need an amp to make it better, losing the EQ pssibility)

There's a mod presented in a previous post. I renounce the leaking effect for reducing the bass, otherwise it passably works for me. Equalizing is still mandatory, though, for both bass and treble (or to increase upper mids and lower treble, resp.). Which points to solution 3 – or 3b with the X3 II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back