Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 16, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #3,151 of 7,998
Would anyone tell me if the earpieces get easily scratched?

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #3,153 of 7,998
After owning the 800s for a couple of days, my impression and experience has been very good. Thinking I still did not hear their true sound since the drivers will need to settle right? How many hours do them usually open up or settle?

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #3,154 of 7,998
After owning the 800s for a couple of days, my impression and experience has been very good. Thinking I still did not hear their true sound since the drivers will need to settle right? How many hours do them usually open up or settle?

None.  They should be fine as is.  Your ears may adjust to the new sound but they will not sound different over time.  I certainly heard no difference after the 60-80 hours I owned mine.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,155 of 7,998

I'd say the 80 will be better for bad produced music. It will surely make it less painful, due to lack of detail. Besides that, it doesn't stand a chance before the 800.

Yeah. Not only bad produced music, but also bad player. With laptop, even with an amplifier, 80 seems to be better than 800. :) But with a better source, that's not the case. I see.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #3,156 of 7,998
Yeah. Not only bad produced music, but also bad player. With laptop, even with an amplifier, 80 seems to be better than 800. :) But with a better source, that's not the case. I see.

I also liked the 80s a lot when plugged on my desktop. Sounds so much full compared to my player. Yesterday I tried the 800s and I don’t know why there was a crackling sound on both the earpieces when I crank the volume a little higher compared to the 80s. Not to the point of extremely loud volume but on the ie80s, that level of volume still sound fine. I immediately unplugged the 800s in fear of damaging the drivers.

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #3,157 of 7,998
I just had my first serious listen on the two day old 800's today, serial# 183xx. Trusty old AK100 + flac/alac 

Originally bought them for mostly for ergonomics over my SE846. I love how the IE800 is ridiculously tiny, light and it's literally impossible for me to get a poor fit with them - this is 90% of the reason why I bought them. I was sick of big IEM's. Didn't expect the IE800 sound to blow me away whatsoever. In fact, before owning them I always had this impression that IE800 was an overpriced mid tier IEM however now that I have spent some time with them I am in love with my old music again. There was two songs where the female voice had such a distinct  crisp echo in to the left channel that I never really noticed on on SE846 somehow. Is channel separation like.. a "thing"? Cause if it is, these do it extremely well.

Also bass sounds err... more realistic? The speed, fast decay and linear sub bass of the dual bass BA+ low pass filter on SE846 is nothing short of amazing when you hear the texture and detailing of the bass and sub bass frequencies, don't get me wrong. But something about it, I CAN'T PUT MY FINGER ON WHAT, something about the bass on BA drivers sounds slightly off. I heard people mention this before and dismissed it but I think I see what they mean now. I think it's the fast decay on BA that sounds unnatural. Feels like the dynamic driver keeps each bass frequency playing for a split second longer. The kind of bass that my ears have grown accustomed to hearing all my life.

I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase with the IE800. But considering how they are the best fitting IEM's I've ever owned (SE846 being the second worst, behind IE80) and have vastly exceeded my expectation in sound quality, I might sell the SE846. The Shure's are amazing but the size and ergonomics are terrible for my ear canal/lobe geometry.

I was calling BS to myself when reading that you need a good source as they sound really good from an iPhone 5s but they're NEXT LEVEL on a decent/good source. They seem to jive extremely well with my AK100. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #3,158 of 7,998
None.  They should be fine as is.  Your ears may adjust to the new sound but they will not sound different over time.  I certainly heard no difference after the 60-80 hours I owned mine.

I see. So these are not like the 8s and 80s. Will these survive normal drop on the surface like when your taking them out of your ears? Or who among here are not easy on their 800s?

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #3,159 of 7,998
I see. So these are not like the 8s and 80s. Will these survive normal drop on the surface like when your taking them out of your ears? Or who among here are not easy on their 800s?

I'm all about the whole listen and enjoy process. At the same time, it makes sense that a multi layer diaphragm chemically bonded under high pressure needs some time to "loosen up". A few of my headphones like my old Pro900 and B&O H6 saw huge gains from burn in. I know my H6, I listened to it for an hour total before I started 100 hours burn in, in which I didn't listen to them at all (was still in honeymoon phase with SE846, kept me going). After the burn in, it went from sub bass that I consider to be poor, to a rather visceral yet highly controlled <50hz range. Before the burn in, 20hz was something ridiculous like -10db below everything else - audible, but very subdued. I tested by playing a bass testing sound file that isolates frequencies. I guess you could say the burn in remedied the rolloff to a decent extent. Also in the time those were burning in, I was listening to an IEM that is linear/slightly ascending below 50HZ, so it's not like my ears were "adjusting" to crappy sub bass lol. 

From an electrical and physical standpoint, the IE800 should be very durable, albeit I have absolutely no experience with ceramic casings. They have two solder points per side. My SE846 has like 25 (4 drivers, 3 way crossover, MMCX connector). I've never broken a dynamic driver IEM by dropping it before and have owned plenty. Plus they are so damn light, the cable from the IEM to the Y split probably weighs more than the IEM itself lol.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3,161 of 7,998
From sennheiser site: "[COLOR=333333]Manufactured with high-quality materials, such as scratch-resistant ceramic for the housing to ensure longevity."  I have never scratched mine and don't recall anyone here complaining about this.[/COLOR]

For peace of mind indeed. I will still treat them as my babies for the price.

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #3,162 of 7,998
So I asked Sennheiser if it's okay to clean the cable with a rag and 99% alcohol. Their reply:

Hello Tony,

To clean the cable you simply need to wipe it down with a humid cloth with a bit of dish detergent.

Best regards
Guy Leroux
Coordinator, Service Department - Coordonnateur, Département de Service
Sennheiser (Canada) Inc.

Screenshot or it didn't happen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b80yxshpmglkz4k/photo%20mar%2017%2C%202%2011%2032%20pm.png?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #3,164 of 7,998
I also liked the 80s a lot when plugged on my desktop. Sounds so much full compared to my player. Yesterday I tried the 800s and I don’t know why there was a crackling sound on both the earpieces when I crank the volume a little higher compared to the 80s. Not to the point of extremely loud volume but on the ie80s, that level of volume still sound fine. I immediately unplugged the 800s in fear of damaging the drivers.

Yes. I did see someone shared his 800 was burned when connected to airplane audio output.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3,165 of 7,998
Anyone compared HD600 with 800? Why I feel 800 is obviously better than 600? I know I didn't drive 600 well. I only use E12 with neutron player from nexus 7 to compare both. Any idea? Any suggestion on driving HD600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back