Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #3,121 of 7,998
if you are referring to the sound signature, I too did not find the sound of 800s to be fatiguing. After having these, I felt that the IE80s have a really bloated mid bass that muddied the overall sound. Soundstage I think I will still nod to the IE80s. They are just phenomenal on that regards.

Juts the general sound I was referring to, what are you driving them with? I was hoping the IE800 would be a temporary stepping stone to some customs but they're so good i'm "stuck" with them. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #3,122 of 7,998
  Juts the general sound I was referring to, what are you driving them with? I was hoping the IE800 would be a temporary stepping stone to some customs but they're so good i'm "stuck" with them. 

they are an end game iem afterall.

comparing them to ie8, i thought that ie800 had better separation, which felt kind of better than having a bigger soundstage with a smaller separation.

i would pick ie800 anyday, but ie8 are just so good that i also love them, they have a specific sound to mids, after you cover them bass ports.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,123 of 7,998
Using them with a bare x1. I think owning a totl iem might not necessarily point you to the custom route. Custom tips maybe? :) Right now, I’m going to enjoy the 800s as they are. Saw the balanced set up of 800s from the owner of the shop where I bought mine, it’s recabled with a balance cable with 2.5mm plug which he said was specifically designed to match the ak240s.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,124 of 7,998
Was able to audition them earlier and boy I am amazed with details these babies produce. Ending up buying one for $650. Listening to them right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's an amazing experience, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Before I heard 800, I saw someone here stated that 800 made 80 somehow 2D and I was curious about what kind of presentation 800 could give, since 80 and m200 are pretty 3D compared with even more expensive headphones. After hearing 800, I began to understand that statement. The soundstage is big enough and someone said the soundstage would expand after burning in.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #3,125 of 7,998
It's an amazing experience, right? :)
Before I heard 800, I saw someone here stated that 800 made 80 somehow 2D and I was curious about what kind of presentation 800 could give, since 80 and m200 are pretty 3D compared with even more expensive headphones. After hearing 800, I began to understand that statement. The soundstage is big enough and someone said the soundstage would expand after burning in.

You’re right. I am initially not fond of dynamic iems after having owned the ie8s. Turned out that the IE8s I bought back then are fakes. That was some 3 years ago. After that I’ve been auditioning multi-driver iems from fellow headfiers on our place. I was amazed by the details those ba drivers produce which pushed me to buy the likes of um3x and sm3. After which I grew fond of the sound of sm3 and have them custom re-shelled. But then last month, I found a good deal of an almost new ie80s and snatched it. Boy was I amazed. The soundstage, instrument placement, bass are phenemonal. I thought the sound is comparable to my sm3 with the fun factor. I prefer the slightly more natural sound of the 80s. After logging again my account on headfi after quite some time, i decided to browse the site with the latest offerings from different manufacturers. And ended up eyeing for the 800s since we have authorized dealers here on our place which happened to have a demo pair. Poor wallet, can only close my eyes when paying at the counter. So far, these are my most expensive iems. I just hope that they last for a good 2 years of regular use.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3,126 of 7,998
You’re right. I am initially not fond of dynamic iems after having owned the ie8s. Turned out that the IE8s I bought back then are fakes. That was some 3 years ago. After that I’ve been auditioning multi-driver iems from fellow headfiers on our place. I was amazed by the details those ba drivers produce which pushed me to buy the likes of um3x and sm3. After which I grew fond of the sound of sm3 and have them custom re-shelled. But then last month, I found a good deal of an almost new ie80s and snatched it. Boy was I amazed. The soundstage, instrument placement, bass are phenemonal. I thought the sound is comparable to my sm3 with the fun factor. I prefer the slightly more natural sound of the 80s. After logging again my account on headfi after quite some time, i decided to browse the site with the latest offerings from different manufacturers. And ended up eyeing for the 800s since we have authorized dealers here on our place which happened to have a demo pair. Poor wallet, can only close my eyes when paying at the counter. So far, these are my most expensive iems. I just hope that they last for a good 2 years of regular use.

With 800, you have both analysis of BAs and energy/livingness of dynamic. :) I'm a basshead, I cannot endure BA's bass. But you pay what you get. You must pay as a multi-BAs.
frown.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,127 of 7,998
I am reading on the thread and was horrified about the cable becoming so stiff. I hope that it doesn’t happen to my pair. Any other issues of these phones to be alert with?

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,128 of 7,998
I am reading on the thread and was horrified about the cable becoming so stiff. I hope that it doesn’t happen to my pair. Any other issues of these phones to be alert with?

Sennheiser will replace them if the cable gets stiff, from what I'm reading.

I think wiping the cable with a wet rag every now and then should help. I'm gonna ask Sennheiser is 99% alcohol is ok to clean the cable.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #3,129 of 7,998

I think wiping the cable with a wet rag every now and then should help. I'm gonna ask Sennheiser is 99% alcohol is ok to clean the cable.
Appreciate if you could let us all know. Right now, Im just going to clean them with an ordinary cleaning cloth that I might come across in the house.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #3,130 of 7,998
Appreciate if you could let us all know. Right now, Im just going to clean them with an ordinary cleaning cloth that I might come across in the house.

Will do. I just emailed them, will see if I get a reply tomorrow.

This is my gym setup:

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,131 of 7,998
Will do. I just emailed them, will see if I get a reply tomorrow.

This is my gym setup:

oh men, seriously for gym use? im afraid I can only use them while walking, at work and at home.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #3,132 of 7,998

Alcohol will strip away moisture..  Usually, things get stiff from getting dried out.  I would imagine using alcohol would not be advisable on a cable that is prone to becoming stiff.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #3,133 of 7,998
If I am using x1 as my primary source, what would be a good amp to partner it with to improve the ie800 experience?

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #3,134 of 7,998
Cayin C5 if you don't mind the different size to the X1. FiiO E11k if you care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back