Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jan 21, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #2,761 of 7,998
  Cool thanks for the input guys. I guess i'll test it out this weekend and see if its worth investing.
o2smile.gif

A warning from me as I had Chord Hugo. It has a bright and lean sound signature. It's impressive at first but becomes fatiguing soon. I tested it with IE800 and didn't like it. IE800 is transparent by character, Hugo made it too bright and lean. Anyway since then I sold Hugo because of its sound signature. If you like bright sound, you might like it perhaps...

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #2,762 of 7,998
A warning from me as I had Chord Hugo. It has a bright and lean sound signature. It's impressive at first but becomes fatiguing soon. I tested it with IE800 and didn't like it. IE800 is transparent by character, Hugo made it too bright and lean. Anyway since then I sold Hugo because of its sound signature. If you like bright sound, you might like it perhaps...

From all the people I've known that have Hugo's no one has said that it sounded lean and from the ranks as its received and being voted top Portable DAC/AMP it shouldn't have much of any coloration at all...but your ears as well as everyone else's are different ......but from as many people who've had or owned as well as listened ....I find what you say hard to believe....but then again I'm not in any way knocking you :relieved: as I haven't received mine yet ......I do feel what you're saying being how the 800s are on the crystal clear side "having owned two pair" it would very much also depend on quality of files sent to them....so yes it could sound a little bright it's possible but it would be by no means of the Hugo more so of the 800s.....hmmmm :blush: this makes me even more excited to receive my Hugo but I have no iE800s left but I can bum a pair from the shop owner to have a listen when I get around to it sometime:relieved:....

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #2,763 of 7,998
I can't recommend the cayin c5 enough.Been listening for an hour,still unburned with ie800 and dx90 and it is probably the best amp under $200.Massive 3d soundstage,very lush mid section and smooths the highs of the ie800 just enough so they're not too bitey.I just hit the bass switch(+5db) and i'm just wow!Very articulate,controlled and with slightly better texture than with just the dx90.You simply cannot go wrong with $140.Much better than my pico slim in most areas and especially massive ,airy soundstage losing only in articulation slightly and texture with strings but it is still unburned(recommended 400 hours!).

This is probably my best 2014 buy and will accompany my dx90 wherever i go.Will check it with se846 later.Very,very impressed
darthsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,764 of 7,998
From all the people I've known that have Hugo's no one has said that it sounded lean and from the ranks as its received and being voted top Portable DAC/AMP it shouldn't have much of any coloration at all...but your ears as well as everyone else's are different ......but from as many people who've had or owned as well as listened ....I find what you say hard to believe....but then again I'm not in any way knocking you :relieved: as I haven't received mine yet ......I do feel what you're saying being how the 800s are on the crystal clear side "having owned two pair" it would very much also depend on quality of files sent to them....so yes it could sound a little bright it's possible but it would be by no means of the Hugo more so of the 800s.....hmmmm :blush: this makes me even more excited to receive my Hugo but I have no iE800s left but I can bum a pair from the shop owner to have a listen when I get around to it sometime:relieved:....

I'm very sensitive to treble and don't like bright headphones. On the other hand, many people like bright sounding headphones and amps. It's about tastes and preferences.

It was impossible for me to listen to HD800 and Beyer T1 with Hugo for instance. It was too bright and fatiguing.

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,765 of 7,998
Thanks again guys. Yes i will need to check out the Hugo with the ie800 in person, given the difference of opinions. Its too expensive to just "buy first" and decide later if I want to keep it or not. The Cayin C5 seems like an interesting option. I hope I can find a store that carries it in Hong Kong. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #2,766 of 7,998
Thanks again guys. Yes i will need to check out the Hugo with the ie800 in person, given the difference of opinions. Its too expensive to just "buy first" and decide later if I want to keep it or not. The Cayin C5 seems like an interesting option. I hope I can find a store that carries it in Hong Kong. :atsmile:

Of course you should be able to find a shop that carries it....I'm in Manila right now and you can find them here so it should be available there.....in the mean time check out the Chord Hugo page here you'll be able to find lots of opinions and pairings there plus the designer himself post a lot as well so you'll learn a lot of information from the designer himself ......☺️

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,767 of 7,998
  I can't recommend the cayin c5 enough.Been listening for an hour,still unburned with ie800 and dx90 and it is probably the best amp under $200.Massive 3d soundstage,very lush mid section and smooths the highs of the ie800 just enough so they're not too bitey.I just hit the bass switch(+5db) and i'm just wow!Very articulate,controlled and with slightly better texture than with just the dx90.You simply cannot go wrong with $140.Much better than my pico slim in most areas and especially massive ,airy soundstage losing only in articulation slightly and texture with strings but it is still unburned(recommended 400 hours!).

This is probably my best 2014 buy and will accompany my dx90 wherever i go.Will check it with se846 later.Very,very impressed
darthsmile.gif

I've been contemplating the C5 for awhile.  But after reading your post, I just placed an order.  Will arrive tomorrow (I live in China), can't wait to hear it paired with DX90 & IE800.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,771 of 7,998
I guess maybe IE800 doesn't "need" an amp but I highly advise one.  The smoothness and clarity gets more dialed in which is really important for any treble detailed IEM  (to avoid harshness/shrillness).

I had a nice discovery after 1 month of use.  Use the larger tips! I was fussing with medium/small tips resembling same size I used with the Westone/Shures.  By going up a size the fit is actually more secure.  I am using the oblong ones.  Longer length inserted vertically. Good invention I guess.  Bass is thunderous.

Gotta be honest here.  THE MOST IMPRESSIVE thing about IE800 is the bass.  Yes, the clarity is amazing but a lot of IEM's have great clarity.  The usual comment ("hearing things I haven't heard before...blah blah").

But that bass!   DO CONSIDER, I am sort of a bass head coming from JH16's, W3's, UM3X.....and while all of those IEM's have deep thick full sounding bass, the quality does not compare to IE800.   It is really impossible to describe but texture and tones are SO well defined with IE800 my jaw almost hits the floor.  I listen to a lot of contemporary jazz and the difference between an upright bass and electric is like night and day, bass drum, kick drum.   It's insane and the reproduction would seem incomprehensible even via headphone let alone a 7mm single driver.  

I'm already floored by portable technology of multi-driver IEM's and what they can do covering the spectrum so thoroughly.   But IE800 is something out of Star Trek or the Jetsons.  I truly don't understand how it is possible.....no joke.

So to summarize my impressiveness of IE800 in order of impressiveness.

1.  The bass quality.
2.  The crazy stereo  left to right panning, up-down/soundstage effect.  My W30 and JH5 almost sound mono in comparison.   lol....
3.  The overall claity.  Truly insane but a lot of other IEM's do that too.  Impressed but common among many others too.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,772 of 7,998
Yes,apart from the amazing clarity and the detailed,natural mids what impressed me most was the quality and  control of bass.I find it much more balanced and satisfying even than the king of bass in iem the se846.With the right tips the bass of se846 is bigger in quantity and may reach a little lower but in comparison with the ie800 it seems boring and not as detailed.The dynamics cannot be beat in the bass department although the armatures have advanced significantly the last years.

As far as amp goes the ie800 can be improved,in the treble area making it less edgy with a more neutral or slightly warm amp but the biggest difference you can see is in the soundstage area.The ie800 feels like an open back headfone and can scale significantly with the right amp(in this case cayin c5,which has the biggest soundstage i've heard in a portable amp).

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #2,773 of 7,998
Just got the amp.  Can't wait to burn this baby in and be in music bliss.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2,775 of 7,998
For a very very very early impression. The C5 improves the bass quality, the bass feels more in control.  Also calms the high's off a bit and gives the mid's more punch.  I haven't heard too much difference in the sound stage though, gonna have to listen more later (and also more when its burnt in)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back