Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #2,417 of 7,998
  Hello. 

Just tried some DaftPunk, unburned everything almost out of box and i must say, i am really, but really impressed! Huge difference! E17 is not even close (to be honest my integrated sound card from my laptop sound better for me than E17 for IE 800, dont get me wrong, E17 can handle some dark sounding cans with great result, however, definitely not suited for for balanced IE 800 ) Using mid gain at the moment, will be back with you after some burn in. 

Also thanks again for great iBasso DX90 recommendation! 

Good to know you are enjoying your ie800 with dx90. In some threads, they do not like the pairing. So I am still confused whether to buy one or not. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2,419 of 7,998
  Good to know you are enjoying your ie800 with dx90. In some threads, they do not like the pairing. So I am still confused whether to buy one or not. 

What threads are those?I don't think you can go wrong with dx90+ie800 if you want to stay around the $1100 mark.Another option if you don't mind spending $900 for the dap alone would be ak100ii.Some say it's better than previous versions but others don't agree.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/718321/brand-spanking-new-a-k-ak120ii-and-ak100ii/540.
I have not heard them so i cannot offer an opinion.

Here is a review from the web for dx90+ie800 http://sorishop.co.kr/board/review/board_view.html?no=1197.
Now granted the dx90 is not the most musical dap out there since it has a neutral character but you can't find that level of clarity,treble,detail,soundstage and instrument separation unless you spent much,much more.

Another option if you don't mind spending a lot of money on a dap is to get dx90 now and wait for 2015 where new daps will be coming out like fiio x7 which will have a desktop ESS9018(rumored) and cost $700.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,423 of 7,998
Its essentially a more refined version of the filter mod where you place some non-woven cloth on the bore to reduce treble splash and thinness, you can read about it a bit more on Rin`s blog, just wondering if they match up with the bore size well since some people seemed to be giving it a go earlier in the thread.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2,427 of 7,998
The hifiman filters are not a perfect fit.  If i recall correctly the hifiman iems have a raised edge on the nozzles, but the 800's nozzles are flat.  It is hard to keep the filters centered for that reason.  They can slide around a bit.  They would come off from time to time when I removed the tips.  They also attach with adhesive and that gunked up my tips.  They started coming off in my ears on occasion.

Soundwise. It did seem to modulate the treble.  I found it made the 800s less fatiguing.  The bass seemed to be slightly improved.  For instance, when listening to acoustic music, the sound of the snare drums sounded more authentic.  That being said, I didn't really find the benefits to be strong enough to justify dealing with the issues above.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,428 of 7,998
The hifiman filters are not a perfect fit.  If i recall correctly the hifiman iems have a raised edge on the nozzles, but the 800's nozzles are flat.  It is hard to keep the filters centered for that reason.  They can slide around a bit.  They would come off from time to time when I removed the tips.  They also attach with adhesive and that gunked up my tips.  They started coming off in my ears on occasion.

Soundwise. It did seem to modulate the treble.  I found it made the 800s less fatiguing.  The bass seemed to be slightly improved.  For instance, when listening to acoustic music, the sound of the snare drums sounded more authentic.  That being said, I didn't really find the benefits to be strong enough to justify dealing with the issues above.

Nice cost-benefit analysis. May give this a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back