Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Oct 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #2,387 of 7,998
I got back my IE800 from warranty. They exchanged it with a new one because of the L and R rubber issues. Do you recommend a burn-in session (how long) for this since it is a dynamic driver? I can't decide whether this sound is different than the old one or not. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #2,388 of 7,998
  I'd love to agree, seems any angle i try and remove the earbuds from the ear results in the tip coming off. its getting pretty hard to keep wearing these like this.....thought that the stock buds should hold within that groove. I've had them 4 months and they're next to useless...

When the eartips start slipping off the housing too easily, I remove them and wash them with dish liquid. Rubbing them in the palms of my hands, then I rinse really well and dry thoroughly. Also I wipe the groove on the tip of the earpiece housing that the eartip snaps onto with a dry cloth or paper towel before reinstalling. The dish liquid seems to cut the skin oils that accumulate and the tips grip much like new. YMMV

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #2,389 of 7,998
Hi guys and gals.

I just received my ie800's today from Amazon.  I'll post a rather lengthy thread about what led up to this in a few days, but for now I have a question.  The serial number on my pair is 16xxx.  Lord knows how long they've been sitting on the Amazon warehouse shelf... I verified the product ID / Serial Number / Packaging on the Sennheiser site, and all is legit.  They appear to be new, unopened, not returned from someone else headphones.

I've been reading this (really long) thread, and others on HF, about the ie800's for some time.  The general concensus seems to be that Sennheiser recognized an engineering flaw in the cable (section between phones and T connector), which was fixed by a change in cable construction or materials sometime around the 20xxx serial number series. 

Mine have (I think) the "flexible" cables between the phones and the T-connector...

My understanding is the "cable issue" was resolved somewhere around serial #'s 20xxx... do you think I have anything to worry about?  Is there any way, other than waiting a few months to a year, to tell if the cables on my set are prone to the stiffening problems that plagued so many people?

Sorry about the offcolor image.. haven't figured out phone camera and color balance yet.

Thoughts appreciated...

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #2,390 of 7,998
My serial #8000's IE800 is still going strong. My cables are soft and flexible and there are no problems.

So I would say don't panic. In the worse case scenerio you claim your warranty and they'll replace it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,391 of 7,998
It seems from some other people`s experiences that the flexible cable is ever so slightly thinner than the hardening one. You can check by looking for the gap between the cable and the strain-relief on the earpiece, mine has a gap and I`ve yet to experience any problems but I`ve heard that others with the hardening issue don`t have any gap between the cable and the relief so this may be an indicator of a new cable material in use.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #2,392 of 7,998
  I got back my IE800 from warranty. They exchanged it with a new one because of the L and R rubber issues. Do you recommend a burn-in session (how long) for this since it is a dynamic driver? I can't decide whether this sound is different than the old one or not. Thanks.

Let's put it this way, the man who designed the Monster Turbine (a dynamic driver iem like the ie800) mentioned to me that he thought a new dynamic driver iem's diaphragm could use a relatively short period of high volume, beyond that he, as an audio engineer, didn't understand why people thought long burn-in times would have an impact.

What I did with my new ie800 set is play is very, very loud (so loud that it was too loud to hold 5 cm away from my ears) music powered by a speaker amp overnight.

I'm finding that my issues with my first set (and most people's issues) of a thin, splashy treble are gone. These are well-balanced, with the kind of sub-bass lift I appreciate and a clear mid and treble. The tonality is very good and the timbre is the excellent quality one expects from a dynamic driver. My first set stood toe-to-toe with the SE5 in audio quality for $900+ dollars less. I'm liking this set more than the first set I had. I wear them over-ear to eliminate microphonics and my Future Sonics MG5pro edges them by a nose in audio quality (but with a slightly different tuning, etc.), but these are really top-notch earphones.

P.S. I've spoken to several CIEM company owners who own the IE800. One told me, "make sure they are well driven" so, as people were saying, they like a good power source.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,393 of 7,998
  Hi guys and gals.

I just received my ie800's today from Amazon.  I'll post a rather lengthy thread about what led up to this in a few days, but for now I have a question.  The serial number on my pair is 16xxx.  Lord knows how long they've been sitting on the Amazon warehouse shelf... I verified the product ID / Serial Number / Packaging on the Sennheiser site, and all is legit.  They appear to be new, unopened, not returned from someone else headphones.

Huh, I just got a set last week which had to be ordered from Sennheiser and it's 22xxx. Anyway, the good news is that Sennheiser seems to be quick about taking care folks when there are issues.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,394 of 7,998
  Huh, I just got a set last week which had to be ordered from Sennheiser and it's 22xxx. Anyway, the good news is that Sennheiser seems to be quick about taking care folks when there are issues.

Lord knows how long they've been sitting on the Amazon warehouse shelf...

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,395 of 7,998
Just got my ie800 with the RCS800 too. Works perfectly. I think im sticking to this till a successor is unveiled. Hopefully the successor is like the 800,in ear not over ear. Hate over ear monitors 
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,396 of 7,998
Hey guys. Just got my own pair of IE800 - sound great out of any source to be honest, however, just wanna find out something "recommended" for this nice IEMs.

However, i am limited to one Eshop so i got to pick some of these:

iBasso DX50
NuForce Icon
NuForce Icon HDP
iBasso DX90
Astell & Kern AK100
FiiO X1
FiiO X3

What do you think guys?

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #2,399 of 7,998
Yeah they sound great with the DX90. Make sure you install the latest Lurker firmware 2.1 (International) and also get yourself some Samsung made in Japan/ or Korea batteries too.

I also like them out of the X5 as well. A little more analog presentation. Still fairly neutral. The DX90 brings that Sabre magic.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2,400 of 7,998
Hej. Thank you very much for your opinion M-13 - also i was able to get some FiiO products in meantime, some of them sound good - but for me (tested fiio e17) sound is too aggressive (with super sensitive IE 800) so i will definitely go for iBasso and let you know as soon as possible. X1 or X5 should be great products but i also really do not like FiiOs look 
Have a nice day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back