Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Sep 6, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,311 of 7,998
This is my second pair and was replaced by Sennheiser due to a defect. The first pair had cable issues, which by the way, is starting again. What I did notice with the first pair was the same dimple in one or both, I don't exactly remember. I still have 22 months on my warranty and sending them back every 30 days is not exactly my idea of fun. I'll travel down the road a little bit more with them and see what else fails or begins to have problems. 

Can sour the excitement but I persevered due to the great sound I was getting from them. I was 3rd time lucky and were perfect from there on in. I no longer have them as I purchased a new iem. Thank god for Sennheiser's two year warranty.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,312 of 7,998
Any of you had a chance pairing IE800 to Sony F88x series or ZX1? Would it be a good match? I have just sold my iBasso DX90 (Really good dap though. Soundstage with IE800 was great) and I want to go on with 320 kbps audio files for now, wifi capability dap for third party apps streaming/playlists (Spotify).

Bonus: I really wonder whether there is a difference between Sony F88x and iPhone 5S while listening to lossy files? Thanks in advance!

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,313 of 7,998
Any of you had a chance pairing IE800 to Sony F88x series or ZX1? Would it be a good match? I have just sold my iBasso DX90 (Really good dap though. Soundstage with IE800 was great) and I want to go on with 320 kbps audio files for now, wifi capability dap for third party apps streaming/playlists (Spotify).

Bonus: I really wonder whether there is a difference between Sony F88x and iPhone 5S while listening to lossy files? Thanks in advance!

IE800s and ZX1 sound terrific together.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,314 of 7,998
Well my replacement IE800 from Sennnheiser, thats a little over a month old, is starting to show signs of rigor mortis again. The odd thing is, that it's only the left cable, just as before. The right cable and extension are the same as the first day I received them, soft and supple. When I first started to notice the gradual hardening, I reversed earpieces (right earpiece into left ear) for awhile. It makes no sense, but I wanted to see if there was something chemically different on my left side as opposed to my right. No change, the left cable continued to harden regardless, while the right remained supple. Looking at the cable, it seems that the right cables cross hatch weave is still very distinct while the left cable almost looks cloudy. I know nothing about the manufacturing of the IE800 but it seems that they use different cable stock for the left side. I could see if they had an inline mic/control on one side but they don't, so the question is, why? I'm pretty disgusted with the whole affair. Sennheiser's customer service is exemplary, but regardless, this is becoming a PITA.   

See if you can pick the left one?

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,315 of 7,998
To chawya22 how you wear the headphones? Over ear or normally how they schould be worn? I use them down way and cable is soft  for now, but I have them only two months and I´m not using them everyday, so I will see how it will end. Now I´m concerned about the curved mesh, I´ve wrote already to the seller, it seems, that these headphones are very problematic, cable issues etc.. But I like how small they are and the look and sound,  they are really good at this points, but they have serious flaws as it appears.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,316 of 7,998
  To chawya22 how you wear the headphones? Over ear or normally how they schould be worn? I use them down way and cable is soft  for now, but I have them only two months and I´m not using them everyday, so I will see how it will end. Now I´m concerned about the curved mesh, I´ve wrote already to the seller, it seems, that these headphones are very problematic, cable issues etc.. But I like how small they are and the look and sound,  they are really good at this points, but they have serious flaws as it appears.

I wear them down. There was another user/member who had a problem with the left cable, that makes at least 3 incidents of the same problem. I wonder how many others, who returned theirs for warranty replacement cable problems, noticed if it was mostly the left. The IE800 is an amazing piece of gear with a major flaw, a fixed cable. Then given one or both sides stiffens like a board will be the death of the model, even if it's only happens to a small percentage of owners. How many times is Sennheiser going to replace defective IE800s before they realize, there is a problem. The sad thing is the solution seems so simple,IMHO, whatever formula, batch, etc. that was used on the right, duplicate it on the left.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #2,317 of 7,998
I wear them down. There was another user/member who had a problem with the left cable, that makes at least 3 incidents of the same problem. I wonder how many others, who returned theirs for warranty replacement cable problems, noticed if it was mostly the left. The IE800 is an amazing piece of gear with a major flaw, a fixed cable. Then given one or both sides stiffens like a board will be the death of the model, even if it's only happens to a small percentage of owners. How many times is Sennheiser going to replace defective IE800s before they realize, there is a problem. The sad thing is the solution seems so simple,IMHO, whatever formula, batch, etc. that was used on the right, duplicate it on the left.

Sorry you guys have problems with your IE800's. My old IE800 (S/N 08340) is still like the day I bought it, no problems whatsoever.

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #2,318 of 7,998
Sorry you guys have problems with your IE800's. My old IE800 (S/N 08340) is still like the day I bought it, no problems whatsoever.

Mine is too.Thank god.I use mine,for 15 months nearly.And I had no problem with them.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2,319 of 7,998
I really do think the people with problem cables, wax guard anomalies, strange noises in the earpieces, etc. are in the minority but at this price point, it's pretty hard to just toss your IE800 aside and move on to something else. It's been confirmed by others, that specifically for the cable problem, the replacements received back from Sernnheiser had a different cable texture than the one that they sent in. I guess Sennheiser is working on it but it's hard being in the minority that's affected. Just when you're comfortable that they've settled in, it's time to ship them back. End of rant.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,320 of 7,998
Well, I finally decided to try out some of the normal tips for the ie800, and it turns out the small oval tips from both fit quite nicely and sound amazing to me, possibly even better than the comply tsx tips I was using before. With not even having to physically roll the tips to get them in my ear, these are really quite amazing little tips. I normally have a problem with stock tips included with IEMs for comfort reasons.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,321 of 7,998

I don't think this is normal, do you? Left pair rubber fell down today. The other one is also not that good. I hope warranty includes this. My IE800 bought from accessoryjack.com

Guys what do you suggest me to do?

I need a fast solution apparently.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,323 of 7,998
  Hmm what did you do with them, that the rubber felt down? My advice is, try to send them back for repair or replacement, if they are in warranty period.

I didn't do anything wrong actually. I am the second owner, when I got this the rubber was already a bit deformed. I think the rubber part of it widened due to humidity in summer. Yes, they are in warranty period, bought in May 2013.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,324 of 7,998

I don't think this is normal, do you? Left pair rubber fell down today. The other one is also not that good. I hope warranty includes this. My IE800 bought from accessoryjack.com

Guys what do you suggest me to do?

I need a fast solution apparently.

I wonder what happened? Those are in pretty good "I mean bad" shape .....my first pair split there but I think it was due to the cables being so stiff and I wore them over ear all the time.....that's what made stiff cables good :wink: you could put a slight bend in the cable and they would just stay ....I sent them back and they sent another pair or rather the supplier did ...just took forever so I ended up buying another pair, they eventually came back though....

And I don't think the humidity did it as with my first pair was brought in Manila "Philippines" and well humidity is an everyday or rather most every day thing there....

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #2,325 of 7,998
Well, I finally decided to try out some of the normal tips for the ie800, and it turns out the small oval tips from both fit quite nicely and sound amazing to me, possibly even better than the comply tsx tips I was using before. With not even having to physically roll the tips to get them in my ear, these are really quite amazing little tips. I normally have a problem with stock tips included with IEMs for comfort reasons.

This sounds strange as most people try the stock tips first ...as these are designed for a better fit ...but some find them not to their liking so then they try the modded tips not usually the other way around .....but glad you found a fit good for you .....enjoy:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back