Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,192 of 7,998
I'm thinking of pairing these with my ak120, does anyone have experience of that combo? Also I was wondering how these are with isolation - I'd be using them on my morning and evening commute of the London underground so I want something effective at blocking out the tube noise!

I have used my IE800's on the Tube with no isolation issues at all.  I just turn them up a little  :wink:

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,193 of 7,998
I have used my IE800's on the Tube with no isolation issues at all.  I just turn them up a little  :wink:
Ditto :)

I would love to get hold of the SE846, the rave reviews they get, but I cannot stomach the 65% cost differential between them and the IE800 in the UK, whereby they are the same price (hence, class) when purchased in the US...

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,194 of 7,998
Ditto
smily_headphones1.gif

I would love to get hold of the SE846, the rave reviews they get, but I cannot stomach the 65% cost differential between them and the IE800 in the UK, whereby they are the same price (hence, class) when purchased in the US...

Not that it's much use but thomann.de have b-stock in for £705 right now free shipping and easy returns.  New stock would be £772.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,195 of 7,998
I received my replacement IE800 today. Serial #207xx, so I'm well past the supposed magic 20000 number. I don't know whether my perception of the new cable's texture is real or imagined. The old cable was very soft and supple initially, but gradually hardened. This cable is not quite as supple and has more of a rubbery feel but still very pliable. It almost has a similar texture to the stock IE80 cable. I've had that much longer with no sign of hardening (or at least not obvious). The outward appearance of the new cable is identical to the old. I hope this is not wishful thinking, but I guess time will tell.    

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,196 of 7,998
  I received my replacement IE800 today. Serial #207xx, so I'm well past the supposed magic 20000 number. I don't know whether my perception of the new cable's texture is real or imagined. The old cable was very soft and supple initially, but gradually hardened. This cable is not quite as supple and has more of a rubbery feel but still very pliable. It almost has a similar texture to the stock IE80 cable. I've had that much longer with no sign of hardening (or at least not obvious). The outward appearance of the new cable is identical to the old. I hope this is not wishful thinking, but I guess time will tell.    

Does the upper cable feel the same or is as supple as the lower cable? I also sent mine in for replacement, just waiting to get them back. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,197 of 7,998

Does the upper cable feel the same or is as supple as the lower cable? I also sent mine in for replacement, just waiting to get them back. 

Upper and lower have the same texture, but they were the same on the returned also.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,198 of 7,998
  Upper and lower have the same texture, but they were the same on the returned also.

Hi Chawya22

Good luck with your new cables/earphones.  For what it's worth, mine feel very slightly more supple at the top.  The bottom cable feels very slightly firmer, but there's not much difference.  They have felt like that since I got them on 1st July.  Serial 210xx

When I ordered them, they were out of stock at the dealers so I had to wait about a week for new stock.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,199 of 7,998

Hi Chawya22

Good luck with your new cables/earphones.  For what it's worth, mine feel very slightly more supple at the top.  The bottom cable feels very slightly firmer, but there's not much difference.  They have felt like that since I got them on 1st July.  Serial 210xx

When I ordered them, they were out of stock at the dealers so I had to wait about a week for new stock.

I'm fairly optimistic that they've sorted the IE800 cable problem out now. I have two other fixed cable Sennheiser IEMs (CX980 and CX985). I've had them for quite a while and have had no cable problems. This was my first experience with their Customer Service Department and they were incredibly expeditious in getting my phones back to me.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #2,200 of 7,998
Anyone have any insight on how these compare to Aurisonics ASG-2's? I'm shopping around right now and am familiar with the IE800 but have never heard the ASG-2. I absolutely love the IE800's sound but the poor isolation got me as I'm always in noisy environments (public transportation). 

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #2,201 of 7,998
When i returned my ie800s for replacement, i actually spent time using my grado iems - gr10 and igi.  I found both quite enjoyable in their own way.  The igis are a great buy for the price.   Very musical particularly if you like a midcentric sound.   The gr10s are also very very good.   I really like their treble presentation - brilliant and very elegant - but i suspect some people will find it too bright.   The biggest problem for me is that they don't handle volume very well.   If you push them hard, they tend to distort.  I have noticed that this is sometimes the case with BA type drivers.   They have a specific volume window where their sound is optimal.   In contrast, the ie800s can be played very loud without any noticeable distortion.  In terms of volume, it has a huge sweet spot.

One thing that should be noted is that, even though the ie800s have a reputation for its bass, the treble presentation is also excellent and often under-appreciated.   There are quite a few headphones out there that have strong bass, but very few can also handle the upper register in such an impressive fashion.

This is where I have to eat some of my praise for the 800s I feel and this was after listening at different levels over and over and over as well as much different material...I was one of the people saying that maybe they bested the Shure SE846 being an forever fan of Sennheiser, but after this long time period with both I must retract what I've said earlier and yes the 800 does volume well I feel on the upper end you do get a very small amount of distortion...is this bad? No because most people will not listen at these levels for any period of time...after comparing though the SE846 does a better job and this is because of the filter change with the white filter which is most purist at ear bleeding level yes you can get a small break up but I don't hear it the same as with the 800s and no they aren't the 800s that I have as I have two pair...it's the same with the bass level as well I was confusing or rather thinking that maybe the SE846 were lacking maybe just a tad behind the 800s but again I was wrong the sub bass is showing up only when it's there as with the 800s you get bass yes this is good as well just if you know a particular piece or particular music you know where the bottom end is and where it falls even lower...Yes the 800s hit low very low but I feel they don't hit that below sub bass where say with a JL in your house or car you will feel it more so than hear it...The 800s are excellent damn excellent "if they weren't I wouldn't still have two pair, the other sent back for cable issues as well" But I must say I'm wrong in my own testing and just listening opinion" and that I think the SE846 edges the 800s out by a hair and I think for an BA this is astounding to say the least, as I've never been a fan until now.....I know this is the 800 post page so I probably will get hounded and I'm sorry but when I feel I'm wrong or find something that makes me say hey wait...I feel I must say ....yes it's a personal opinion and sometimes I know they count for very little ☺️But just thought I would share and also for what I've said earlier.....besides it's the music we love if you love music ...the music will always be first and foremost. It's great to see both companies pushing forward and still making advancements in IEMs.....To the future :stars:

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #2,202 of 7,998
Picked up a pair from the classifieds at half the retail cost, I couldnt resist. Having a listen now from ak120 and have to say I'm impressed soundwise. Tomorrow I'll be taking them on the train to see how they manage in the wild on the tube. I'm not keen on the ludicrously short cable though.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,203 of 7,998
Hi all.... Pulled the trigger on a pair of ie800s from a local dealer here in Dublin.  They're shipping from Germany so I'm hoping they're from a new batch without the cable issue....  These will be to go with an AK120, so I'm very much looking forward to their arrival next week!

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,205 of 7,998
I'm using with my AK120.It is good match.I think you will like it. =)

I'm curious about,how the performance is with AK240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back