Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,577 of 7,998
There have been scary moments involving my IE8s and various amps (Meier Audio Corda XXS, Digizoid Zo2, iBasso etc.) but nothing that caused any real damage (surprisingly).  The IE800s are of course a somewhat different animal, however my suggestion would be to contact Sennheiser directly.  I get the quickest response, generally speaking, via the Senn Aus & NZ Facebook fanpage; they usually pass on nay curve balls to an on-hand technician.  Hope this helps. :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,578 of 7,998
  I accidentally played my DX50 at full volume for about 5 secs, could I have damaged my ie800?

Almost certainly not.

...but don't do it again.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #1,579 of 7,998
Depends what full volume is (power wise) compared to specs of the ie800, I cannot believe that the 800s couldn't handle the power of a DAP, also, to be considered, bass uses far more power than other frequencies, so unless your DAP was running a 20hz test signal at full power (and was clipping whilst doing it) I would say you're fine :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #1,580 of 7,998

Thanks guys I guess I just needed re assurance. I was getting paranoid thinking that the sound somehow changed but I guess its just in my head. 

Quote:
Depends what full volume is (power wise) compared to specs of the ie800, I cannot believe that the 800s couldn't handle the power of a DAP, also, to be considered, bass uses far more power than other frequencies, so unless your DAP was running a 20hz test signal at full power (and was clipping whilst doing it) I would say you're fine
smily_headphones1.gif

what should I look for in the DAP specs to check if my iem could have handled the power being supplied by it?

here are the specs for the dx50:

Headphne out:
Frequency Response: 20Hz~20KHz +/-1dB 
THD+N: 0.004% (32ohm load)
Output Level: 1.2V(Low gain), 1.7V(Mid gain), 3.1V(High Gain)
S/N: -103dB +/-3dB(Low gain), -106dB +/-3dB(Mid gain), -108dB +/-3dB(High Gain) (32ohm Load)
Output Impedance: <0.5ohm

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,582 of 7,998
I bought myself a late christmas present today. The Sennheiser ie800. My ACS T1 customs are broken and need to be repaired, and that will take a few weeks. So I bought ie800 as replacements. And what a great replacement they are. Perhaps a permanent replacement. They sound great! I´v only listened to them for a few hours, but I like them a lot already.

I was a bitt worried about sibliance, but I can hear no such problems. I´m running the ie800s from my AK120 playing 24bit flac. I´v listened mostly to classic and modern jazz (my kind of music), and there´s no sibliance, just a big, wonderful soundstage with a lot of juice in the lower regions. The bass is great, but now overwhelming. My ACS T1 might have a better soundstage and separation in mids and high, but I can´t compare them directly until my T1s are fixed.

I´m very satisfied with my new toys.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,583 of 7,998

I tried the 16pro demo before. I think both are great IEM.

In terms of sound signature, i would say IE800 is a more balaned / natural IEM. It has some kind of enhanced bass but overall still could be regarded as natural to me. For the 16pro, its bass is enhanced too but I think its not as deep as IE800. I regards the IE800 presents intruments and classical music better than the 16pro.

Maybe the demo JH16 is too different than a real custom JH16.

I just received my custom JH16Pro FP. The Senn ie800 is no longer in my possession...

When listening to the JH16pro FP, all weaknesses with the ie800 becomes apparent. Ie800 is completely unnatural sounding to me now.
Bass: Ie800 bass is actually deeper in the sub-bass region vs JH 16. BUT it is much less refined and sound muddy. JH16 bass is deep, accentuated but also very accurate and easy to follow bass lines.
Mid: Well ie800 has a nice midrange BUT it is (quite heavily) V-shaped. JH16 mids: piano and voices are more natural and warm, cello and violin more true to the real sound of the instrument.
Treble: The ie800 treble is just too hot and sibilant. There is no way around it. In comparison, JH16 sounds much less trebly, but also no sibilance at all and smooth and silky up top.

I never really got a secure fit with the ie800, they kept falling out. Contributing to this was the heavy Y-splitter and cord. My JH16 CIEMs fit very securely and comfortable. Out of Iphone 5S, the JH16 requires several notches less output for the same perceived loudness.
I ordered the JH16 directly from JHaudio on Black Friday 20% off sale, and I escaped import duty and tax, so the ended up at the same cost as Sennheiser ie800. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,584 of 7,998
Very close to buying some IE800, but I've just realised that its CES 14 in a few days, has anyone heard anything that Sennheiser might release a new IEM? It might even bring the IE800 price down :D anyone?

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,585 of 7,998
I haven't heard anything...but I would consider buying a second IE800 if they did nothing more than fix the ergonomics.

Why is the cable so short above the y-split? WHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!

(I can't prove it, but I believe that the original design was written out incorrectly on a napkin, like the Stonehenge in Spinal Tap)

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,586 of 7,998
 I want to buy some now but if there is a chance they might do that I will wait, also wish they didn't take away the removable cables, I understand that would require a complete redesign but, if that's what must be done. Its a shame as the 800's sound soo good, but little flaws get you thinking what if. Fingers crossed for CES

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,590 of 7,998
I´v only listened to mine for about 50 hours, but the sound is incredible. I even prefer them over my Fostex TH900 (which are big cans, costing twice as much). I can´t believe how they made these tiny phones sound this good. Maybe it´s the good synergy from AK120, and the TH900 perhaps need a more powerful amp to sound their best....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back