Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 1, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #6,301 of 7,998
  Greetings

I bought a few weeks ago the ie800 from a trusted friend of mine, who bought the ie800 from a store that sells sennheiser products. I used it for weeks and it sounded amazing. But then out of the blue the right side stopped working totally, no sound what so ever. I tried to wiggle the cable thinking maybe its the cable but no sound came from the right side at all. It is strange as this happened out of the blue, hours before everything was working fine.

Now the irony is that its not under warranty anymore

Did anyone experience such a thing, and what could be the cause, as it was working fine and all of sudden this happens. I looked at the cable and its fine, and as I mentioned playing with the cable does not do anything at all

Please advise

Cheers

any advise please

Cheers

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #6,303 of 7,998

right now these are going for $170 on ebay, might be cheaper just to get another pair

In this thread we generally recommend to avoid ebay for ie800 since they can be fakes. 

any advise please

Cheers

You can send a mail to Sennheiser - they are very open and nice, you will get the problem sorted out with them - at a small cost or not. You will still get a brand new pair back and you'll be 100% sure they are not fakes. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #6,304 of 7,998
  right now these are going for $170 on ebay, might be cheaper just to get another pair

With a very high probability of getting a fake IE800 (I personally was victim of such a thing), and the sound quality of fakes varies between outstandingly close to the real IE800 and quite poor.

There is a very qualified (and long) thread about fake IE800: 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/700604

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #6,305 of 7,998
  With a very high probability of getting a fake IE800 (I personally was victim of such a thing), and the sound quality of fakes varies between outstandingly close to the real IE800 and quite poor.

There is a very qualified (and long) thread about fake IE800: 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/700604

that would suck

in my experience though, paying with paypal, you got a good 30 days to sort out fake or not and just return

but yes, a big hassle and not worth the trouble 

did not know this, very interesting read

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,306 of 7,998
any advise please

Cheers

Have you tried disconnecting the bottom portion of the cable, then reinserting it? Maybe a few times.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #6,307 of 7,998

In this thread we generally recommend to avoid ebay for ie800 since they can be fakes. 

You can send a mail to Sennheiser - they are very open and nice, you will get the problem sorted out with them - at a small cost or not. You will still get a brand new pair back and you'll be 100% sure they are not fakes. 

he mentioned its not under warranty anymore, so i doubt senn would do anything

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #6,308 of 7,998
  he mentioned its not under warranty anymore, so i doubt senn would do anything

Oh, Senn would help people even out of warranty 
biggrin.gif

The only (main?) difference would be that out of warranty the repairs are not absolutely free - but Senn are great with this! 

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6,309 of 7,998
I have the same problem, I sent my in by ups on 1/13/17 and they lost my package on 1/19/17, then found it on 1/26/17. It just got to sennhiser on 1/31/17 18 days, well if it's under warranty they will replace them. If out of warranty it's 325.00 usd for replacements. My left earphone stop working after 9 months.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #6,310 of 7,998
I just experienced something strange. I've been listening to my new Sennheiser ie800 for some days now, they have great resolution and just sounds great for iem. And when I put on my HE1000V2 now they sounded so strange and kind of muffled like the singer was sitting inside a box. It kind of got a little better after a couple of minutes. But I don't understand this. Very confused now. Could it be because i got used to the sound of the ie800? And maybe I need some time to adjust to the he1000v2 again?

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #6,311 of 7,998
repairs are not absolutely free - but Senn are great with this! 

If out of warranty it's 325.00 usd for replacements.

Great as it is. They are always charging half of the new earset if out of warranty. Last time we messed with dead drivers it took customer around 200 usd to replace it. Including shipping and new cable.

any advise please

Most likely driver's voice coil is dead. It always happens out of the blue.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #6,313 of 7,998
I just experienced something strange. I've been listening to my new Sennheiser ie800 for some days now, they have great resolution and just sounds great for iem. And when I put on my HE1000V2 now they sounded so strange and kind of muffled like the singer was sitting inside a box. It kind of got a little better after a couple of minutes. But I don't understand this. Very confused now. Could it be because i got used to the sound of the ie800? And maybe I need some time to adjust to the he1000v2 again?

Unless you've spent the last couple years of critical listening to a steady stream of audio components, you basically get used to what you're listening to. With the IE800 while it might not exactly pop in certain areas of the audio spectrum, it defiantly has something in the mids and bass. You get used to it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #6,314 of 7,998

Greetings

I am in an unfortunate situation, as what is going on now is a bit more complicated than what I described. As I mentioned I bought the ie800 from a guy in Sweden who at that time was a friend, but as life is I lost total touch with him for many reasons outside of this hobby and I will not contact that person again. Yes he is a trust worthy person and me not trying to contact that person are due to personal reasons which is not the right place to share here. I am not 100% sure from where he bought it or even how long he had them, honestly I thing all together its less than 2 years, but I am not sure that is why in the beginning I mentioned that it is out of warranty but maybe it is not. My ignorance at that time was due to the fact that I was new to all this audiophile environment and it did not cross my mind to ask thoroughly

I am originally from Sweden, but I moved to Israel and I will stay here for few months and the ie800 was the sole iem that I was listening to in Israel. Now that it is not working, kind of is a downer.  

I tried to contact by email their importer here in Israel and simply they do not reply and not having a receipt is also kind of making it difficult to get to know how to approach this here in Israel.

What shall I do, and who shall I contact, is it Sennheiser in Europe or here?  I really appreciate your help guys

I got a pm from a member here who told me to contact someone on Head-fi as he might be a Sennheiser rep, so i did.

Your help is really appreciated

Cheers.

Update 1: So we called the local partner here, and she told me that its another company that is responsible for importing ie800 and its called Music Basket. So I called up Music Basket in Israel, and they asked for a receipt and I told him I do not have one, but the person from Music Basket was friendly and helpful and told me that I should send it in, and they will try to repair it for a cost. Or maybe they can find another solution

Update 2: well as I was examining the cable of the non working right side I noticed that at its end where it meets the connector plug, that it wiggles up and down, unlike the left side cable. I tried to get the plastic surrounding the plug connector off where the 2 cable meet at the end, but it does not come off. I am thinking maybe that fixing it would be very simple, if I can remove the plastic. I am sure that I would be able to fix it myself, but its very stiff. Anyone have experience how to take it off.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back