Sennheiser IE80 VS Bowers and Wilkins P7 wired
Jan 8, 2017 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FanaticSankey

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,

The left earpiece on my Shure SE215 has started giving distortion issues so I am thinking of buying a new pair of audio gear. It may not necessarily be an IEM but  also a full sized can. I have 3 options in mind:
Sennheiser IE80 (Available for $220)
RHA T20 ($250)
B&W P7 ($320)
For me sound quality is paramount along with bass emphasis. But many posts have pointed out that the Sennheiser IE80 have a poor build quality evident from the breaking of the nozzle. RHA's memory cable is also having issues. Have read glowing reviews of the Bowers and Wilkins P7 and am tempted to purchase one. Unfortunately in Goa, India there is no place where I can take a demo. So any input from you; seasoned head-fiers will really be appreciated.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Aren't the P7s full sized HP, not an IEM?

IEMs and headphones have very different characters and uses. So get whichever you think would suit you. In terms of audio quality, I haven't tried the P7, so I can't comment, but both the IE80 and T20 sounds quite nice.

It would help a bit if you could give us your usage. Do you plan on using it outside, with a smartphone or a DAP, and finally, what kind of sound signature are you looking for? Preference for sound really differs from user to user. For instance, I love my HD800 and strongly dislike the TH900, but some people are opposite.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 13
P7 destroys them, plain and simple.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 13

IEMs and headphones have very different characters and uses. So get whichever you think would suit you. In terms of audio quality, I haven't tried the P7, so I can't comment, but both the IE80 and T20 sounds quite nice.

It would help a bit if you could give us your usage. Do you plan on using it outside, with a smartphone or a DAP, and finally, what kind of sound signature are you looking for? Preference for sound really differs from user to user. For instance, I love my HD800 and strongly dislike the TH900, but some people are opposite.
You mostly listen to vocals right, right.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 13

Hmm. I am planning to use them indoors but occasionally outdoors. i want something that sounds close to the SE215 but with better bass and treble.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 13
P7 destroys them, plain and simple.

Have u listened to the IE80? I just want to know if they have a comparable sound(not the same) as that of the P7. Also I dont want to invest in amps to get the most out of head gear. I am really interested in the P7 but the price is a factor for a student like me. Also; when it comes to headphones i have a pretty bad experience as the only pair i own( Sony MDR-XB950BT) have really let me down when it comes to overall sonic performance. It was kind of a impulsive purchase after UrAvgConsumer recommendation. Also my ears are on a larger side and measure 70mm. It would be helpful to know the earcup dimensions of the P7s.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 13
Have u listened to the IE80? I just want to know if they have a comparable sound(not the same) as that of the P7. Also I dont want to invest in amps to get the most out of head gear. I am really interested in the P7 but the price is a factor for a student like me. Also; when it comes to headphones i have a pretty bad experience as the only pair i own( Sony MDR-XB950BT) have really let me down when it comes to overall sonic performance. It was kind of a impulsive purchase after UrAvgConsumer recommendation. Also my ears are on a larger side and measure 70mm. It would be helpful to know the earcup dimensions of the P7s.
Yes I had it like 3 years ago, it has bass but its mids and treble below average.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #12 of 13
Also do the P7 sound like some hifi speaker because that is what I am looking for.
Exactly like a hifi floor standing speakers. Now Im wearing the P7 snd P9 3 hrs on my commute to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back