Sennheiser IE80 Unboxing Photo and Initial Impression [Will update]
Nov 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

throzen0303

100+ Head-Fier
Hey fellow headfier, this is your long waited Sennheiser IE80 Inital impression and whats inside the box thread.

I will update my full review in this post!! Please do comment and ask questions.

From the moment I cut open the box that Sennheiser sent to me, I can instantly tell something, 
this is going to be....German....
  The attention to detail in the packaging itself is fantastic, the IE80's shiny earpiece are sitting right there waiting
you to explore them.

Once you open the box, you will find the carrying case and a silvery paper box which carries the different eartips,
clip, and earhook also a instruction/quick start menu.
  The carrying case seems to be the same one for the old IE8 with the extra tip(2set) holder on top and the
cleaning/tuning tool on the bottom.

The build quality of the IE80 is really German, precise and well built, the plastic housing now has a bit of metallic powder 
mixed in to give it a extra bit of uniqueness over the IE80.  Also, the cable seems to be the same connector(don't know about 
inside) as for the IE8.

Now...the Sound [I never auditioned the IE8]

The initial impression of them (unboxed it about 30minutes ago...),
I kept the bass setting on the lowest as it came from the factory,

I found if I adjust it higher past second dot, the detail tends to break 
down when it gets more complex.  The IE80 is fairly quick for a dynamic based IEM,
but still not on par with the GR07.

The forward bass made the mids feels slightly recessed, but the mids doesn't
feel veiled, its clear and warm, feels very smooth and clear.

IE80's treble carries a smooth presentation, but right now when it's raw out of the box,
there is a small bit of sibilance which might be solved as hours goes on.

Presentation is always a big selling point of the IE8, which I think did get
carry on with this newer model, the soundstage is stunning,the presentation is wide,
and the headroom you get is simply amazing with very good depth.

Isolation with the IE80 is not bad for a vented dynamic IEM, if you can find the proper tip
that seals perfectly, its not that bad, just a bit less isolation than the GR07.

Photos:

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 17
Good first impressions being a current GR07 owner and past IE8 owner I look forward to your continued impressions and review. From your current description these sound like they are similar enough to the IE8 and far enough from the GR07 in terms of what I like about the GR07 that I won't spending sleepless nights resisting the siren call to try them. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for your impressions and pictures. Looking forward to your full review.

If I may ask, where did you order them from and for how much to ship to Ontario?

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Good first impressions being a current GR07 owner and past IE8 owner I look forward to your continued impressions and review. From your current description these sound like they are similar enough to the IE8 and far enough from the GR07 in terms of what I like about the GR07 that I won't spending sleepless nights resisting the siren call to try them. 

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions and pictures. Looking forward to your full review.

If I may ask, where did you order them from and for how much to ship to Ontario?

These haven't been released yet, was shipped to me via my connection with Sennheiser

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Oh darn that's too bad. You're lucky then 
wink.gif
. Very jealous.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 17
$426 is too much, I paid $380 for my pair from Germany, including VAT. Considering you wouldn't have to pay tax, if you order from outside the EU, this ebay offer is a rip-off. I'll see if I can find a store that ships internationally.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 17
The IE80 improves really well with a proper eartip, which none of those from the box suits me well, then I found out the TF10 tips fits, now the sound is really, really, good XD
would tell more detail after the burn in is done, i think it improved well after 50hours

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
The IE80 improves really well with a proper eartip, which none of those from the box suits me well, then I found out the TF10 tips fits, now the sound is really, really, good XD
would tell more detail after the burn in is done, i think it improved well after 50hours

Have you tried the MEElec M11+ extra long single flanges? It worked the best for me and fits the IE8 nozzle perfectly so it should the IE80 as well.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 17
+ Subscribed 
popcorn.gif

Being a GR07 user, I really want to know how it will stand against GR07 (after burn-in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back