Sennheiser IE80 OR Shure SE535
May 17, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #32 of 44
I just love how people use the phrase 'veiled' without qualifying what they mean. Does that mean a lack of definition? A coarsening or thickening of the tone? If that is the case then you would definitely hear it with a single human voice which of course is produced in the mid range of the audio spectrum. I am listening to a Schubert Lied and don't hear any of this at all. Just a clear and sparkling reproduction of a beautiful soprano voice. I have the bass settings on the ie80s set to minimum. Could a different setting on ProjectDenz's ie80s cause this 'veil'?

People have been making veiled criticisms (pun intended) of Sennheiser phones for years. I wonder how many of them have actually heard them for any extended period of time?

Thanks for this
Question about jazz mainly female vocals, shure or sennheiser as I'm in market for iems as I have hd580 and 650.
Tia

May 12, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #35 of 44
Hi everyone! So I already have a pair of ie80s - and I LOVE them (seriously, if anyone is debating getting a pair they're worth it) - but I'm searching for a pair that is a bit different to boost my audio arsenal and give me some variety.

I was thinking um pro 30 or 535 since much more accurate and less dark, with a smaller soundstage, and accentuate the vocal and midrange-treble a bit more. Any recommendations/advice/comments would be awesome. I've heard the UE900s are fun too. I know I know, it's a bit random, but I figured I'd ask : )

May 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #36 of 44
I had the IE8 but not the SE535,

Their strong side is the bass texture and good overall response not to mention the excelent soundstage, but i suspect thet they are too slow and dark for jazz.

Considering what i´ve seen from other Triple Armature sets i´ve had i would go SE535, Armatures are faster and provide a crisper sound, also the dedicated twitter will give you a much more textured upper end.

The thing is that the shure signature is also known as a bit dark in the triple IEM arena, im not sure if you´re better off going to the UE 900S or the EarSoncs SM3v2...

May 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #39 of 44
SE535's have almost no bass though, or rather, significantly less bass than consumer-grade IEMs. Just a consideration.

May 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #40 of 44
martin79: yeah I've heard the XBA series is really awesome.

Roen: that's what kinda terrifies me about the 535s. I listen to a lot of pop and darker, more atmospheric music and that usually requires a bit of bass response. I just want something that sounds a bit more weightless, vibrant and dynamic. And I'm worried the 535s just won't give the punch I want.

Any more recommendations would be so appreciated :)

May 12, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #41 of 44
If you like pop, stay away from Shure 315-535

Ever consider Chi-Fi?

May 12, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #42 of 44
No Ive actually never heard of them. I'll check them out!

I was also thinking of the GR10s. Anyone had any experience with them?

Also, I'm new to posting to this forum, so if there is a better thread/group I should be in for these questions pls lemme know!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back