Sennheiser IE80 or RHA MA750i?
Jan 31, 2015 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Viizei

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for new IEM's and these two may be the best for me. However I'm thinking that does the IE80 really sound so much better than the 750i?

Price for the 750i here is 100 € and 226 € for the IE80. It is hard for me to justify that price difference so I need your help with it. Is there any sense to pay 126 € more regarding the sound quality?

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 13
If you're after a bass heavy signature (which I'm assuming from your first choices) you may be better off researching Dunu DN-1000 3 - way hybrid. It outclasses both your original choices for $200 USD.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm worried about the weight of the Dunu. Is it too much? Do you own them? It is a lot cheaper than ie80...

However I would like to have that big soundstage of ie80.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 13
The Dunu's don't feel THAT heavy, but the weight makes it easier for tips to fall out, but with foams its alright.

They have a deeper but not as pronounced sub-bass as the DN1K's but lose out on clarity, soundstage and have more recessed mids. The RHA's are a million times more comfortable.

The T10's are like the best of both worlds, deep, rumbling LOUD bass with certain filters but still enough clarity, mids and highs to challenge the DUNUs,aswell as being comfortable. After I got my T10 I sold my DN1k's.

Have never heard the IE80's.

Hope this helps.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 13
  I'm looking for new IEM's and these two may be the best for me. However I'm thinking that does the IE80 really sound so much better than the 750i?

Price for the 750i here is 100 € and 226 € for the IE80. It is hard for me to justify that price difference so I need your help with it. Is there any sense to pay 126 € more regarding the sound quality?

We'd probably recommend the MA750i, it's great, but we might not be the most impartial. Do let us know if you have any specific question about the RHA product, though!

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 13
..and how do you like the IE80? I actually own ALL of the above: RHA 750i, RHA TI1, Senn IE80, not to mention Sony XBA-H1, and their little cousin MDR-EX650. I had my 750's for a year and liked them, but was looking for a further improvement, so decided to try TI1's when they came out. Those did not work for me at all. No matter what I tried, I could not fit them in with enough isolation to get the sound everyone seems to be raving about, so those are going back for sale. 750i's are an absolutely perfect (and easy) fit for me. So then I decided to give a try to Senn IE80's, hoping for even tighter bass, and crispy highs... but I'm disappointed. Tried to listen to various formats and source devices - Ipod classic, FIIo 3 with FLAC files, but I still prefer the sound signature of the RHA. Senns lack that directness and crispness relative to RHA's. Both Sonys sounded too muffled to my taste relative to both 750 and IE80. I'm keeping the IE80 for now, will give them another try when I receive AUVIO tips, but after comparing all of the above, I'm back to RHA 750's.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 13
  ..and how do you like the IE80? I actually own ALL of the above: RHA 750i, RHA TI1, Senn IE80, not to mention Sony XBA-H1, and their little cousin MDR-EX650. I had my 750's for a year and liked them, but was looking for a further improvement, so decided to try TI1's when they came out. Those did not work for me at all. No matter what I tried, I could not fit them in with enough isolation to get the sound everyone seems to be raving about, so those are going back for sale. 750i's are an absolutely perfect (and easy) fit for me. So then I decided to give a try to Senn IE80's, hoping for even tighter bass, and crispy highs... but I'm disappointed. Tried to listen to various formats and source devices - Ipod classic, FIIo 3 with FLAC files, but I still prefer the sound signature of the RHA. Senns lack that directness and crispness relative to RHA's. Both Sonys sounded too muffled to my taste relative to both 750 and IE80. I'm keeping the IE80 for now, will give them another try when I receive AUVIO tips, but after comparing all of the above, I'm back to RHA 750's.

I'm on the fence between the ie80, 750i, and T10i.
What are the sound and soundstage differences between the 750i and T10i? How does either compare to the ie80?

P.S. anyone that has heard any combination of at least two is welcome to chime in as well. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 13

How would you compare the ie80 to the 750i now? Can you compare their Soundstage, and their bass, midrange, and treble? 

Thanks 

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 13
I own a IE80 and have compared it with my friend's MA750. Both are warm IEMs. MA750 is a good all rounder. It's hard to beat IE80 if you want soundstage and Bass.

Soundstage, no argument here.. IE80's soundstage is huge. 

MA750's bass is less in quantity but it is tight and controlled. IE80 in comparison feels like a Bassy IEM. IE80's bass is also more impactful and has texture.

MA750 has better mids. Although the clarity of the mids is pretty much the same on both, IE80's mids are a bit recessed and is veiled a little by its bass.

IE80 has better treble. 

IE80 also has better instrument separation and layering. 

Except for the difference in soundstage, other differences are not huge between the 2 IEMs.

If you are looking for a over all good IEM in a controlled budget, MA750 is a good choice.

Buy IE80 if it is going to be an addition to your existing IEM collection or if all you are looking for in an IEM is a huge soundstage and you don't care much for the mids.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 13
@h1a8:
I started with RHA 750's a few years ago, and liked them a lot (and still do), but was intrigued by the hype I've been reading about Ti1's, Senn i80's, and other higher priced, and supposedly higher end phones, so decided to explore, starting with Ti1's. I hate to say, but the more I looked, the more disappointed and frustrated I was getting. Yes, bass was more in quantity with both TI1's and I80's, but I could not get the right balance neither with TI1 filters, nor with I80 "bass dial". I'm pretty sure it was not an issue of fit. I have a VAST collection of tips, so was able to seal every phone I tried. I found that even though I was craving the bass, whenever I dialed it up, it drowned out the highs, and clarity suffered, so I always reverted it back, but then I was never satisfied with the "remaining" bass and the overall clarity. I would say sound stage is the biggest in I80's, so if I ranked those 3 phones in the categories you are asking about, here's how it would look like:

Bass:  Senn I80 > RHA Ti1 > RHA 750       
Highs: RHA 750 > Senn I80 >  RHA Ti1
Soundstage: Senn I80 > RHA 750 > RHA Ti1 
Overall "balanced" sound: RHA 750 > Senn I80 >  RHA Ti1

Since that post, however, I found my new favorite, and that is AudioTechnica CKR9. It has the most pleasing bass quality. Very dynamic and hard -hitting when needed, but not overpowering. I would say it's better than all of the above, including i80, which is pretty bass heavy, but the dymanic quality just does not compare with CKR9's (or 10's). To me they sound as good as if you were in front of a small hi-fi speaker set with a sub. I actually bought both CKR 9's and then 10's to compare, and although 10's have more pronounced bass, it drowned out the highs, and I just prefered a more "lively" but admittedly smaller sound stage of 9's to the bigger bass and as some describe a more "intimate" sound of 10's. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked cheaper pair much more and happily returned the 10's. At about the same time I bought the JVC 850's, expecting to be blown away by the bass, and although It's very good indeed, the wood speaker just can't match the cymbal quality of a dual driver metal setup  of either of AudioTechnica models. As of today, after trying many more models (AudioTechnica CKR 9 and 10, JVC 850 and RBH EP2 (which I just hated..) my current personal ranking looks like this:

Bass "quantity": JVC 850 > AudioTechnica CKR10 >  Senn I80 
Bass "quality":   AudioTechnica CKR9 > JVC 850 > RHA 750
Highs: AudioTechnica CKR9 > RHA 750 >  AudioTechnica CKR10
Soundstage: AudioTechnica CKR10 > AudioTechnica CKR9 > JVC 850  
Overall "balanced" sound: AudioTechnica CKR9 > RHA 750 > JVC 850

Absolute favorite: AudioTechnica CKR9 
Runner up:  RHA 750
Love/hate relationship: JVC 850

Users who are viewing this thread

Back