Sennheiser ie8 vs EarSonics SM3 vs EarSonics SM2 vs JVC FX700
Nov 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

basketball

500+ Head-Fier
I recently broke my Sennheiser IE8 and am looking to buy a new set. I am undecided and I can not make up my mind. It changes daily. 
I am looking into buying another pair of sennheiser iE8 bu I am still open to te other option ( earsonics sm3 and sm2 and fx700). The only reason I am considering the other 3 is because the ie8's had a rather poor seal. 
Somethings I should mention are that I listen to Trance, Techno, Electronic, House and Dance music. My sources are my iPhone 3GS and my MacBook. I will NOT be using an amp. 

One question, I have are what is the difference between the sm2 and sm3. 

My price range is max $250. This is because I will likely buying used. 

Any help is making my decision would be much appreciated!

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 36
If I were u I'd get SM2 V1 new (under 250) or just chip in a little more and get SM2 V2, compared to the other ones you listed, SM2 seems to have the best value and some ppl prefer SM2 over the SM3. I have SM3 and have heard IE8, personally I think IE8 is a bit too thick and dark sounding for me, even tho SM3 shares a somewhat similar, but not as thick sound too but it hits a sweet spot for me. Or u could also see if you can get the IE80 by sending in ur IE8.

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 36
The SM2 are dual drivers IEMs and SM3 are triple drivers IEMs and both offers geat isolation. The SM3 offers unique 3D layring soundstage and similar to wide open soundstage of IE8 with overall great frequency response. The JVC FX700 has wide open soundstage, deep reverbing bass and great mids, extended highs.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 36
I used to listen to that kind of music and I owned the SM3

Bass is deep and heavy, but it won't have the punch needed for house/trance/hard dance aka hardstyle

I reckon the W3's would be good for that hard hitting bass, and that U shaped frequency would be more exciting for you.

If you liked the IE8's mids prob isn't as important for you, so the W3's would work well

I had the W3's and I enjoyed it for those dance tracks, but felt the vocals in other genre music was veiled

Maybe try to look for a second hand W3.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 36
i owned all three at the same time; i loved my sm3 and ie8, but disliked the fx700... tried hard to like it but couldn't find any redeeming quality about.. definetly overhyped i swear.
happy to be rid of it... especially bad seal that leaks so bad it affects the sound... and the bas is excessive, boomy... i had my brother listen to it... blind test and he preferred tf10, sm3 over it.
i also had a friend test it, and he wasn't impressed (preferred sm3)

fx700 top tier with the likes of sm3?? (utter rubbish imo)

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
I recently broke my Sennheiser IE8 and am looking to buy a new set. I am undecided and I can not make up my mind. It changes daily. 
I am looking into buying another pair of sennheiser iE8 bu I am still open to te other option ( earsonics sm3 and sm2 and fx700). The only reason I am considering the other 3 is because the ie8's had a rather poor seal. 
Somethings I should mention are that I listen to Trance, Techno, Electronic, House and Dance music. My sources are my iPhone 3GS and my MacBook. I will NOT be using an amp. 

One question, I have are what is the difference between the sm2 and sm3. 

My price range is max $250. This is because I will likely buying used. 

Any help is making my decision would be much appreciated!

For your music, get a new Future Sonics Atrios mg7, it's perfect for the music you listen to and cheaper than the options you're looking at. It doesn't need an amp. Buying new means you'll get a warranty. The sm3 will break, particularly if you broke the ie8 and buying used means no warranty. Really any iem can break, keep that in mind.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
I guess, I might stick witht th i8's or consider the sm3.

what is it that you like/don't like about the IE8's, that made you consider something else?

EDIT:
Seems SEAL is the issue?

Maybe looking into something that goes more into your ears, rather than stick over your ears so to speak, might be better?

However, what about sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back