Sennheiser IE8, lower volume & no sound on right side
Jan 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

88King

New Head-Fier
My IE8 have developed a problem where the volume is getting progressively lower in the right earphone over the last couple of months. Now the sound sometime gets cut off on that side unless I twist the cable or unplug and re-plug the cable.

I had this problem with my 1st pair of IE8 one year into ownership, the shop where I brought it simply replaced it with a new one in stock.

But now the 2 years warranty have ran out, I’m not sure if the problem is to do with the wire or the right earphone itself.

Just want to find out if any other IE8 owners encountered the same problem.

Many thanks

P.S. Brought a replacement cable, now both earphones works fine.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Yep, starting to happen to my left one.  I cleaned the connection with a little alcohol and it's better for now.  I have been listening to some of my other headphones lately and I'm starting to find that my IE8s which I have been incredibley happy with for the last couple years just don't sound very good any more.  I've heard rumblings of IE8 burnout, that the sound quality starts to deteriorate after hundreds of hours and I'm almost starting to believe it.  Mine probably have 500-750 and they just don't sound great anymore.  I'm tempted to get a fresh pair or try IE80s.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
My IE8 have developed a problem where the volume is getting progressively lower in the right earphone over the last couple of months. Now the sound sometime gets cut off on that side unless I twist the cable or unplug and re-plug the cable.

I had this problem with my 1st pair of IE8 one year into ownership, the shop where I brought it simply replaced it with a new one in stock.

But now the 2 years warranty have ran out, I’m not sure if the problem is to do with the wire or the right earphone itself.

Just want to find out if any other IE8 owners encountered the same problem.

Many thanks

I would call the reseller or even the Sennheiser and see what they can do. This sounds like product quality issue and it is not unreasonable to ask Sennheiser to fix it or give you a replacement, considering this even happened again after you had defective one before.

It could be a problem with the cable, then you may have to buy a cable replacement.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 5
I had this same problem 8 months ago. By that time I ordered a new iE8 cable in the hope that it was going to work with a new one. It did actually, and I got stoked. After a few months after I replaced the cable, however, I was starting to have the same issue again, but it was easily solved by replugging the earbud or cleaning it. To day, none of those measures are working out, and I'm already considering buying another cable. I hope it works again.

May 6, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Hello guys,
This is my first post here and I start with grave digging, but with a reason - few posts from head-fi are top results in google when it comes to one IE8 channel (right / left - doesn't matter) being quieter and - after trying different things for more than a year - I think I finally found a solution.
Note that this solution will probably not help if you've totally lost sound in one / both channels.

The issue is with the connector - not the cable pins, but the sockets in the earpieces themselves. You need a very thin needle that can easily fit in these sockets and a bit of an alcohol. I strongly suggest IPA.
Just spray a bit of the alcohol on the needle, remove the excessive amount (should be just a tiny drop on the tip), then insert it into the socket and rub it back and forth against the socket walls few times. Repeat several times going around and pushing against different spots of the socket walls (yes, this is still about restoring the sound in IE8...). The needle insertion should be quite easy and for at least ~2 mm deep - if it's not, you need a thinner needle. Repeat for the other socket (and proactively for the other earpiece) and voilla - no more sound level difference.

I've tested this solution for half a year before posting, just to make sure it works, as previously tried solutions provided no fix or (accidentally, it seems) up to two weeks of solving the issue - then it returned. Posting it in these few top posts suggested by google - hopefully I won't get banned as a spammer, really doing this in a good faith.

Cheers!
KoRni

Users who are viewing this thread

Back