Sennheiser ie8 help
Jun 11, 2009 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided to get a pair of these. I have a few questions though.

1. What does the Comply T-400 Foam Tips do the sound? Should I get them too? I listen to Hip Hop, R&B, some rock, and some smooth vocals (male).

2. Where can I get them the cheapest shipped? I searched around but I just want to make sure I'm getting them for the lowest price. I'm in the U.S.

3. I was thinking about getting the ie7 instead since they are cheaper. I'm coming from the se530 but wanted more bass. I also prefer a balanced midrange better (not too forward or recessed). Would the ie7 suit me better than the ie8 coming from the shure? Between the ie7 and ie8 which one of the two have the better midrange?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 14
1. Comply by themselves will muddy the sound somewhat, particularly the treble, and to some degrees the bass.
2. Depends, of all the authorized dealers, Headroom was selling for $319 and they have a good return policy. Other places
would still sell at $449.
3. Newegg had IE7 on sale a few weeks/month ago, you could wait for that. Or,
scourge the F/S forum for good deals, that could save you some money.
As for midrange, I doubt you'll find IE8's midrange "lacking", it's just not forward and in-
your-face. On bass, I think you know the answer already, IE7 will not and can not beat
IE8 in that regard.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 14
PM Micheal from Sound Earphones, he has them on sale right now with a good price.

I would also make sure you buy them from somewhere that has a return policy. Mine just arrived yesterday and they might have to go. They just do not fit my ears very well. The only tips that work for me are the Complys but I'm not sure I am willing to live with the trade off of sound quality by using them.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM Micheal from Sound Earphones, he has them on sale right now with a good price.

I would also make sure you buy them from somewhere that has a return policy. Mine just arrived yesterday and they might have to go. They just do not fit my ears very well. The only tips that work for me are the Complys but I'm not sure I am willing to live with the trade off of sound quality by using them.

Try the Ebay dual flange tips: Double Flange Earbuds for Sony In-Ear Headphones -NEW- - eBay (item 370207806309 end time Jun-26-09 15:28:01 PDT)

Some people can only get a proper fit with them. I have them and they work well. I prefer to use the Shure E2C black soft flex sleeves. I get a great seal with them.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 14
I cant imagine needing more bass then what the IE7 delivers, to each is own. The IE7 is a great IEM very rich sound they are what the 530's should have been. I like the way sit flush in the ear they dont stick out. I did find the the PFE ear guides work better the stock ones. Amazon has them for 209$ i would not buy them off of ebay unless you have a trusted seller.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by illini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant imagine needing more bass then what the IE7 delivers, to each is own. The IE7 is a great IEM very rich sound they are what the 530's should have been. I like the way sit flush in the ear they dont stick out. I did find the the PFE ear guides work better the stock ones. Amazon has them for 209$ i would not buy them off of ebay unless you have a trusted seller.

Dun know the price are down to 209 nowadays.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Before you order any new tips, you should try the ones that are supplied with the IE8s. If you aren't happy with any of the selections, then you may want to venture elsewhere.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalmathmtcs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you order any new tips, you should try the ones that are supplied with the IE8s. If you aren't happy with any of the selections, then you may want to venture elsewhere.

Agree. Another good choice is sony hybird tips which is well documented in its appreciation thread. It costs 10 bucks, but definitely worth as it provides more ISO and sustain SQ at the same level

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 14
I understand the ie8 have more bass, soundstage, and more sparklelier highs than the ie7.

But tell me the details of each's midrange. Remember, I coming from the 530. Which midrange of the two is better and why? Which midrange is closer to the 530?

Lastly, as a reference, if the 530's bass is a 5 (on a scale from 1-10) then what would be the bass of the ie7?

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by h1a8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the ie8 have more bass, soundstage, and more sparklelier highs than the ie7.

But tell me the details of each's midrange. Remember, I coming from the 530. Which midrange of the two is better and why? Which midrange is closer to the 530?

Lastly, as a reference, if the 530's bass is a 5 (on a scale from 1-10) then what would be the bass of the ie7?

I used to own the SE530's and still have the IE7's and IE8's.The IE7 has the closest resemblance to the SE530's in terms of midrange. It's more upfront and relaxed then the IE8's. However the IE8 has wider soundstage and has a highly energized and textured midrange presentation. The bass of the IE7 would be a 7 and the IE8 would be a 10. Remember, the sound signature will significantly change after 200+ hours of burn in.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the SE530's and still have the IE7's and IE8's.The IE7 has the closest resemblance to the SE530's in terms of midrange. It's more upfront and relaxed then the IE8's. However the IE8 has wider soundstage and has a highly energized and textured midrange presentation. The bass of the IE7 would be a 7 and the IE8 would be a 10. Remember, the sound signature will significantly change after 200+ hours of burn in.

Thank you so much! I don't understand what textured midrange is though.

1. Do you think I would be happy with the ie8s midrange by me coming from the se530? Does it make vocals sound good (especially male)?

2. Also, is the soundstage of the ie7 still wide (much wider than the se530)?

I will probably get the ie8 unless it would have a midrange I wouldn't like. I don't like recessed midranges. Neutral or slightly forward (best) is what I would like.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by h1a8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you so much! I don't understand what textured midrange is though.

1. Do you think I would be happy with the ie8s midrange by me coming from the se530? Does it make vocals sound good (especially male)?

2. Also, is the soundstage of the ie7 still wide (much wider than the se530)?

I will probably get the ie8 unless it would have a midrange I wouldn't like. I don't like recessed midranges. Neutral or slightly forward (best) is what I would like.

Textured as in it having more body and a fuller sound. Coming from the SE530's, you will most likely prefer the IE7's. The IE7's have a wide soundstage but not as wide as the IE8's. The IE8's, IE7's, and the Triple.Fi's have the widest soundstage out of all the iems I have tried. Midrange on the IE8's is not recessed but not as forward as the IE7's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back