Sennheiser IE7 vs Phonak PFE
Feb 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 30
Since you don't own them, yes, you would be totally wrong. If you read the PFE threads, almost no one says they are bass-lite. In fact, with the black filters, they are bass excellent (and warmer than with the gray filters). With a cheap FiiO amp, they are bass excellent as well. Also, they are not a dry, analytic sound sig such as the Etys. It's all in the Phonak threads.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #17 of 30
The question now would be, does the Phonaks have better bass quality and higher quantity of bass than the IE7? It would be very interesting if the Phonaks possesses it.

BTW, is there anything special of the Phonaks that makes it stand out when compared to the IE7? My research so far (correct me if I am wrong) has indicated both are quite balanced except for the IE with extra lows.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jynjyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question now would be, does the Phonaks have better bass quality and higher quantity of bass than the IE7? It would be very interesting if the Phonaks possesses it.

BTW, is there anything special of the Phonaks that makes it stand out when compared to the IE7? My research so far (correct me if I am wrong) has indicated both are quite balanced except for the IE with extra lows.

That, I can't answer since I don't own the IE7. And I haven't yet seen anyone with both in their sigs/collections. Unfortunately.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #19 of 30
I own both, and the IE7 has superior bass (only after 200+ hours of burn in). Better quality and quantity without the need for an amp. The PFE's has a slightly better midrange presentation (grey filters) but, the IE7's has a far greater soundstage. As for overall presentation, hands down it's a well burned in IE7.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both, and the IE7 has superior bass (only after 200+ hours of burn in). Better quality and quantity without the need for an amp. The PFE's has a slightly better midrange presentation (grey filters) but, the IE7's has a far greater soundstage. As for overall presentation, hands down it's a well burned in IE7.

Thanks, very nice clarification.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jynjyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question now would be, does the Phonaks have better bass quality and higher quantity of bass than the IE7?

Speaking purely from an unamped point of view - the IE7's have more bass and a much bigger soundstage. Without getting into arguments about which bass is 'better'... in my opinion, the IE7 bass quantity and quality trounces an unamped Phonak. The IE7 is much warmer sounding than the Phonak, so if crystal clear vocals is your thing, the Phonak might be a better choice. But for bass and soundstage, the IE7's win.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking purely from an unamped point of view - the IE7's have more bass and a much bigger soundstage. Without getting into arguments about which bass is 'better'... in my opinion, the IE7 bass quantity and quality trounces an unamped Phonak. The IE7 is much warmer sounding than the Phonak, so if crystal clear vocals is your thing, the Phonak might be a better choice. But for bass and soundstage, the IE7's win.

i agree with soozieq. BTW I finally bought the IE 7 and have never looked back since (£120). The highs and lows are reproduced superbly and smoothly compared to my Shure SCL-2. Oddly enough, somebody told me SCL-4 sounds better than these but maybe its just the mids.

Potential buyers read this point; expect background instruments to be heard in full glory.

Also about durability. The IE 7 wins on this since its wires are kevlar coated. There has been a couple of issues with the PFE wires and I can conclude that no matter how thick the wires are, they still crack if they aren't flexible as the IE 7.

Soundstage is awesome as well. The opening of Michael Jackson's Thriller (footsteps) shows how good these headphones are.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #23 of 30
Any comparison between the turbines and IE7? Bass and details better on the IE7?

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #24 of 30
Well I just returned my turbines and got my IE 7s. I already prefer the IE 7 sound even though it has not gone through burn in. Less bass for sure, but still enough for me without causing fatigue. The highs and mids are no longer veiled or muddy like I felt with the turbines.

Not saying the IE 7s are the best or the turbines suck, but they work better for me.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #26 of 30
Might need to grab the IE7 soon.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #27 of 30
With regards to this specific comparison:

Are the IE7's really that bad on isolation? I saw someone describe them as "open", does that mean they wont work well on an airplane and does that mean people will hear your music in a library?

These are the two big contenders for me right now and isolation is one thing that I'm looking for (comfort, soundstage and warmth being the others).

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Once again, you're right on the money. Same here - owned both, and your impressions are the same as mine.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by morning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With regards to this specific comparison:

Are the IE7's really that bad on isolation? I saw someone describe them as "open", does that mean they wont work well on an airplane and does that mean people will hear your music in a library?

These are the two big contenders for me right now and isolation is one thing that I'm looking for (comfort, soundstage and warmth being the others).

You can't really hear the music coming out of the IE7's during regular use (I had a friend listen for it while I used them next to him). Isolation however is rather poor. I've used them on a bus and subway before and had to raise the volume significantly to try to drown out the external noise. Comfort wise I think they're great. I'm wearing them now as we speak and I've had them in for close to 4 hours. If isolation is what you seek then i'd consider looking elsewhere. For everything else I'd highly recommend them.

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #30 of 30
What about if I use the included foams? Usually foams tend to be a notch better than silicon/rubber tips? Are the PFE's with the comply's significantly better with isolation if i'm using the foams for both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back