Sennheiser IE7 vs Phonak PFE
Jan 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jynjyn

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. After having owned a Shure SCL2 and Klipsch Custom-1, I've decided to have an upgrade.

I have drawn out a short list and it would be helpful if anyone can give me some advice.

Shure SE310
Shure SE420
Klipsch X5
Sennheiser CX 6
Sennheiser IE6
Sennheiser IE7
Q-Jays
Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 5 Pro

Cheers

Edit (27/2/09)

Its now between Sennheiser IE7 (£117) and Phonak PFE (£120)

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 30
Lets give it £150 (I found some websites which give me good deals)

More of a bass person but at the same time wants clear and warm music. And I truly enjoy my music when I'm able to hear the music's background music.

I once had Bose In ear headphones but found them too bassy and distorted.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 30
The X5 is apparently very good all rounder without the imposing bass its X10 sibling has. The Se420 is also a well balanced phone.

To be honest all the phones you listed are well regarded here so it depends on your preference. The Sennheisers are most likely be the most bass heavy here, though I read that the IE 7 shines well and is less bass heavy than the IE 8.

Another headphone to look out for is the Phonak Audeo. Everyone seems to be raving about them for being an exceptional IEM that provides value for money, and they are well within your budget. I myself is considering of getting them sometime next month.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...thread-405953/

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 30
I would also suggest the Phonak's, excellent headphones. I could tell you how they sound but it would be better for you to get the fuller picture here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/phonak-audeo-378031/. This one of the first Phonak threads started aside from the one Dfkt started. Anyhow, there you will find opinions from me, Tstarn, Average_Joe and more about these oh so perfect headphones. Read the thread to see if these are to your liking. PM me if you need more information. Also I suggest going to anythingbutipod.com and read Dfkt/Martin's review on them. They won Editors award, on his spreadsheet they come in right under the 1150$ UE11's. I own them one word to describe them would be....um...perfect.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 30
Thanks guys for suggesting the Phonak PFE but I doubt about the comfort. The review on anythingbutipod.com mentioned sharp edges and was wondering if anyone had some discomfort with it. If none how does its comfort compare with the Klipsch X5.

Sound-wise, can someone rank the Phonaks with the headphones I mentioned above. It will be very interesting to see where it lies. I'm interested in the bass and treble.

Also, on the review mentions about filters. Does the replacements come cheap? Anyone knows where to get em in the uk?

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jynjyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets give it £150 (I found some websites which give me good deals)

More of a bass person but at the same time wants clear and warm music. And I truly enjoy my music when I'm able to hear the music's background music.

I once had Bose In ear headphones but found them too bassy and distorted.

SwissHearingAids.com> Main Section > Phonak Audéo PFE Earphones due in 10th February - order now for early delivery > Phonak Audéo PFE Earphones

only place ive seen them in the uk

btw of the ones you mention id say the SE420, then the IE7 close behind and the SE310 and x5 holding joint third.

sound wise id expect the 420 and ie7 to be similar but 420 will be more be more likely to fit your ears with out any issue

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jynjyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for suggesting the Phonak PFE but I doubt about the comfort. The review on anythingbutipod.com mentioned sharp edges and was wondering if anyone had some discomfort with it. If none how does its comfort compare with the Klipsch X5.

Sound-wise, can someone rank the Phonaks with the headphones I mentioned above. It will be very interesting to see where it lies. I'm interested in the bass and treble.

Also, on the review mentions about filters. Does the replacements come cheap? Anyone knows where to get em in the uk?

First, dfkt noted in his review that he was probably alone in that thing with the arm bumping his ear. I own the Klipsch X10s, the IEM comfort kings, and the pfe's are right up there comfort-wise.

Unless someone has owned all those phones you list, it's impossible to rank them. I venture to say the pfe's will be appreciably better than those phones. Just use the black filters for bass and treble. Speaking of filters, seems to me they would never need replacing, and you do get two pair of each color filter with them.

You'll have to read the threads on the pfes to learn more about where to get them in the UK. I saw one post that said they would be available in the UK within the next two weeks, but you can also order them from other EU sites, I believe.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 30
Sorry for the long reply but I have narrowed it down to Sennheiser IE7 (£117) and Phonak PFE (£120). Comments please.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 30
Both have excellent reviews here, more a matter of fit and sound preference. Any way to try either before committing?

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #13 of 30
Very unlikely as there is a lot of hassle involved in returning back the products. (Both are online deals, hence explaining the cheap price of the IE7).

I just wish to have a phone that sounds comparable to the high end model and yet last me for a long time. I made some mistakes buying my phones in the past (Shure SCL2
tongue.gif
oor comfort, bad soundstage and the Klipsch Custom 1: poor sound).

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

More of a bass person but at the same time wants clear and warm music. And I truly enjoy my music when I'm able to hear the music's background music

Now I haven't heard the pfes but from what I read I don't really think they would fit his needs, especially when it comes to warmth and bass.
When it comes to clarity and details sure, but warmth and bass I don't know.
Of course I don't have them so I could be totally wrong
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back