Sennheiser IE6 -- the forgotten IEM
Apr 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #46 of 55
OK - added comply tips. What a difference! I'm clearly getting a better seal now, plus they've burned in a little more. Now they seem a clear improvement over my s-Jays. Could be keepers...

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ burtybum Sounds like there is good deals down in the southampton hmv, do they have eny other mid range or top range iems on sale?
thanks

I bought my Klipsch X10's from there - they also had the X5's on sale there for about £90 at the time. They also sell the S4's (bargain for £50 last time i checked) and the S2's. They used to sell the Senn IE6, IE7 and IE8's at full price, but i got my IE6's in the Winchester branch on sale for £40. It must have been a one-off because that was 60% off and they only had the one in stock.

As well as these brands, they sell a lot of the Monster earphones; Lady Gaga 'Heartbeats', the Dr.Dre line as well as the Turbines. None of these have been on sale to my knowledge though...

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #48 of 55
Also - the IE6's need a lot of burn in. More so than any other pair i've owned. I can feel the bass tightening a little, but the mids are still this pair's weakest part.

Overall, i'd have to say it's a 'fun' listen, if a little unfulfilling.

----------------

However, i only paid £40 for these - at that price, they are more than 'fun' if i'm honest. Value for money indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK - added comply tips. What a difference! I'm clearly getting a better seal now, plus they've burned in a little more. Now they seem a clear improvement over my s-Jays. Could be keepers...

get some monster triple flange tips for your ie6, complys muddy the bass and dampen the treble imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burtybum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my Klipsch X10's from there - they also had the X5's on sale there for about £90 at the time. They also sell the S4's (bargain for £50 last time i checked) and the S2's. They used to sell the Senn IE6, IE7 and IE8's at full price, but i got my IE6's in the Winchester branch on sale for £40. It must have been a one-off because that was 60% off and they only had the one in stock.

As well as these brands, they sell a lot of the Monster earphones; Lady Gaga 'Heartbeats', the Dr.Dre line as well as the Turbines. None of these have been on sale to my knowledge though...

lady gaga heartbeats
eek.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

get some monster triple flange tips for your ie6, complys muddy the bass and dampen the treble imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't mind trying those Monster tips. Could you suggest a UK retailer?

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

^^^^ i got mine with my mptg and mptc , try ebay maybe you can find just the tips

Cheers mate.
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #55 of 55

Quote:
Well, I auditioned Senn IE6 briefly at a local audio store a few days ago and compared them with my IE8. My source was unamped Sony NWZ-A816. My first impression was the size and weight of the IE6 - compared to IE8, it's much smaller and lighter. Then, once I started putting it into my ear, another thing that I noticed immediately was the fit - it was much better than that of IE8 for my ears! I used the medium, soft black single-flange silicone tips and with the IE6s the fit was very nice and secure, providing good isolation. By contrast, I am having a much harder time shoving the large, heavy IE8 drivers into my ears using the same tips - with the IE8, I have to use foamies to get the same secure fit as with IE6 and even then, they are not as comfy as IE6 and the sound quality suffers.
frown.gif

As for the sound, compared to IE8, the IE6s sound quite a bit thinner, less detailed and less accurate. However, compared to Senn CX300 and other cheap canalphones like that, IE6 are, of course, a big step up. They offer a nice tight bass response that's way more accurate than that of CX300 and the quantity of bass is not overpowering like on CX300. The mids and highs are also very good - they are much clearer and cleaner than CX300 mids and highs and offer more detail as well.

Overall, I think that IE6 is a very good IEM, if you can get it for around $150. It provides a more spacious and more forgiving sound than balanced armature IEMs, while sacrificing some accuracy and detail. However, at it's MSRP, it's not quite as great, since for the same price you can get a more accurate and detailed Sleek SA6 or Head-Direct RE0. Nevertheless, if you are looking for easy insertion, best comfort and dynamic sound, the IE6 is still worth considering even if it cost $200 or slightly more.

Coming from CX300, I think i made the right decision to get this IE6, thanks for sharing sir Pianist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back