Sennheiser IE6 -- the forgotten IEM
Jan 20, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would think it should be near, especially if u use comply tips on the cx6

I was probably going to do that. But I hate the thought of spending 20-30$ on 5 pairs of comply's that may only last me 6 months.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #17 of 55
well, there is only really one way to find out.

buy them and then do a comprehensive review of them on head-fi so that others may benefit, its how we learn without having to buy everything ourselves

so go on, buy them, you know you want to and you can justify it by saying its for the common good too
atsmile.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #18 of 55
In term of IEM, I am trying to move up from the CX300 which I do enjoy.

Has anyone been able to compare the IE6 and CX6 in term of sound quality ? I originally thought I would go for the IE6 but, please correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that the open design would make them leak more than the like of cx300 and cx6.
I would like something that would almost not leak at all, for listening in the bedroom.

Would the CX6 be a significant step up from the cx300 ?

Thank you very much !
Lionel

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 55
Hi Lionel. I can't comment on either the CX300 or the CX6 but I have IE6's and am able to sleep next to my wife with no complaints from her at all. This has never previously been the case, lol.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 55
Thanks for the input !
Any other people who could give in put one way or another in term of sound leakage on the IE6 (versus the CX6 or not) ?
Thank you very much !
Lionel

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #21 of 55
if i were you, i would buy the ie7 because it sound more natural and the bass is pretty deep without disturbing the mid and the high. it might lack some bass if you hear a lot of rap, but i don't really listen to them so they are fine. IE7 are very musical with a bit touch on detail. super detail earphones such the shure e4c or the image x10 will sound thin compare to the ie7. beside we listen music because of enjoyment, not to pick out every instrument.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 55
I went for the IE6 and do not regret it at all.

My concerns with the IE7 were mainly the fit and the sound leakage (not isolation), I am happy with the IE6, medium plugs did fit right away the same way as my cx300 do.

They leak 'just a little bit' more than the CX300, but not much. Isolation is not as good as the cx300 but enough to have a good listening in the street and be aware of the environment (cars for example).
My perception is that if you are in a noisy environment anyway, you should not really seek perfect sound but just 'good enough' sound to enjoy you rmusic.

To my ears, they sounded already great out of the box for pop and classical instrumental, a bit less convinced for orchestra (for now only hopefully). But they are not , like I have read 'crap out of the box'.

They do sound very natural, fatigless. I am not sure if thery are qualilfied as 'open IEM' but I would say that it is the perception.

For me, they are complementary to the CX300 that I would likely continue use in very noisy environment. Compared to the CX300 (well they are x4 the price) they are more natural, bass more firm and defined, less muddy. Definition is better (like 'oh I never noticed that although it was already there'), and as mentioned by everybody, 'soundstage' is very good, better location of the instruments (when recording allows it) in a natural way.

I hope this helps people tempted by the IE6.
I got them from Amazon UK at 89£, direct from amazon.

Happy Camper here
Lionel

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 55
I also went for IE6 over 7's, because of sound and fit, i was told it was a better fit then the 8's. I had previously tried the 8 and they were great.

from what i gather the isolation on the cx is definitely better, not sure about leakage.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 55
I've had my IE6's for a good while now and I can't really fault them. I can only compare them with my HD595's and I much prefer the IE6's. I'm only using both with a D2 though and it may be that the player can't really drive the large cans well but with the buds it sounds fabulous.

zorro

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorrofox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my IE6's for a good while now and I can't really fault them. I can only compare them with my HD595's and I much prefer the IE6's. I'm only using both with a D2 though and it may be that the player can't really drive the large cans well but with the buds it sounds fabulous.

zorro

I know you don't have much to compare them to, but would you say they are worth their price?

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 55
Yes, definitely. Having said that though I'm now looking into buying an amp as well, lol. I don't think they need one but it may improve them even further.

zorro.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #28 of 55
Sorry to be negative on my first post (I lurked for a whilst choosing my headphones), but having just bought the IE6 I have to say I'm gutted. I was given a 30gb Zune and some UE phones about 5 years ago (no idea which model). Unfortunately the UE's recently fell to bits, hence my need to replace.

Its probably the shape of my ears, but I find the IE6 to have very weak bass. I really have to insert them further than I feel is safe to get even reasonable bass. Now I confess I'm not into accurate sound reproduction, my listening periods are restricted really to flying long haul, so I prefer a sound thats quite punchy as I'm not in an ideal environment. At home I have PMC FB1's as I love their astonishing bass and 'tolerate' the bright highs, but I cant tolerate the top end of the IE6's. Its really crude, but I'm told thats a sennheiser trait?

I will say they are VERY comfortable.

I'm going back to my 15 year old Sony MDR V6's until I get a chance to learn more

IE6's going on Ebay.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #29 of 55
Must be a bad seal, little bass is definitely not an normal attribute... I might try some different tips, the stock ones didn't fit me well either... I used Shure e2c tips, but Sony Hybrids or UE silicons would work too...

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #30 of 55
The Senn IE* series is not meant to be inserted deep into the ear canal. I have the IE8's and when I go into Shure SE530 mode and stuff them in deep the bass disappears. To insert them I just push them each into my ear a bit and that's how they sound best. No opening of the mouth or pulling of the ear to insert them any deeper. That driver needs quite a bit of air to push to make them sound their best. Play with the depth as they aren't your typical IEM for fit. If all else fails, as archercat said, try some different tips.

Or, and I hate to mention this, but maybe you bought some fakes? They are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back