Sennheiser IE6 Snow Weather Damage at -33 C
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

furquanatique

New Head-Fier
Hi, I know this question has been asked before on the forums, but I had a question specific to the Sennheiser IE6 IEM's, and anyone else's experience. Will heavy snowfall and (-33C) temperatures damage the phones? I understand that there are holes in my IEM because of dynamic drivers or something, and here in Chicago, snow/flurries can get really fine and get through small crevices.

A very poorly stated question, but I would appreciate any response.

Thanks! 

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't have a definitive answer but I purchased M9s and JVC 67s for the cold weather (-5C and colder) as I am not taking any chances with my good IEMs in those temperatures with or without snow. Better safe than sorry I think. If snow does get into them it will melt and water inside your IE6s is not good at anytime.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 9
I had a bad habit of using my IE 8 when its raining and it works fine. Even when i put it through the washing machine by accident it even survived that. Guess I could say German equipment are indestructible. Hope it help.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 9
I suppose the big threat to IEM's are the minerals in the water bridging circuitry in the crossovers. Since most caps are sealed, and the circuits tend to be far apart, theres nothing complex to bridge and short out. Thats my theory atleast..

Now oxidation could be a completely different story..

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 9
I wear ie6 everyday no matter what weather to expect, they never let me down so far. We don't have that low temps here but a good amount of snow and sometimes piercing wind shooting fine ice particles. But hey - could you really commute under such weather conditions wearing only a pair of iems to cover your ears? Got you! :D
Add a cap or a hood, scarf, collar - whatever you use to withstand heavy weather and your ie6 will be very fine.
Greets!

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Dynamic drivers are less susceptible to damage to dampness and to dust/ear wax than balanced armatures, according to an audio engineer I spoke to about the subject.

It's better to take better care of your earphones rather than treating them poorly, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back