Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
Jan 8, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #661 of 738
IE200 graphs well, it seems. Looks like a less V-shaped take on the IE600, which was too boosted in the treble for me anyways. And if it doesn't take too much of a hit on technicalities compared to the IE300, then it'll be a great choice in the sub $200 range.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #662 of 738
I recently purchased the IE300 as a "test" for a possible future upgrade for the 600 or even the 900, despite having the idea that the 600 could be the "smarter" choice if considering bang for the buck.

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the SQ considering the price. IMO, it performs better that the price suggests.

I was ready to upgrade the tips, but the stock middle one that came already mounted were just perfect! I had the Campfire Holocene before and with that type of IEM it was always a struggle regarding which tip to choose as to fit and stay put in my ears.

The Sennheiser are my first deeper in ear format and in all honesty, I'm much more into IEMs now! (Still prefer Headphones nevertheless :dt880smile: ).

What was a dreadful no-go, is the cable. Are you kidding Sennheiser?!!! And thinking that it also comes with the much expensier siblings is absolutely unacceptable in every sense. My left IEM piece wouldn't even make a good contact with the wire, had to fiddle with it constantly, the microphonic and memory cable is just a plain nightmare to "work" with. I was almost returning it, which desolated me because I was loving the Sennheiser for everything else.

So I ordered an inexpensive Tripowin cable (I read in the IE600 thread that these were direct fits without having to fiddle with the connections) and it worked without having to change anything. In my case I ordered the Linsoul Tripowin Zonie 16 Core one but there are tons out there in Amazon.

That changed the all experience to the next level! So happy now! For the current price (usually heavy discounts are in place) I believe this little IEM is a no brainer! But consider upgrading the cable as soon as possible and wait for it to arrive to order tips (in case you don't already have third party ones) because the stock ones may just fit you. I was even surprised because not even the large ones would seal my ears with other IEM´s but with the Sennheiser the medium one is just a lovely fit. I guess it is related to how this type of construction goes deeper into the ear canal and therefore interacts with the tip.

Cheers!
IMG_1490.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #663 of 738
For those that have done cable swaps are there any recommendations for silver, copper or hybrid?
Thanks @glpsace for your post, I wanted to try balanced and was unsure of cables that were compatible.

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #664 of 738
I recently purchased the IE300 as a "test" for a possible future upgrade for the 600 or even the 900, despite having the idea that the 600 could be the "smarter" choice if considering bang for the buck.

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the SQ considering the price. IMO, it performs better that the price suggests.

I was ready to upgrade the tips, but the stock middle one that came already mounted were just perfect! I had the Campfire Holocene before and with that type of IEM it was always a struggle regarding which tip to choose as to fit and stay put in my ears.

The Sennheiser are my first deeper in ear format and in all honesty, I'm much more into IEMs now! (Still prefer Headphones nevertheless :dt880smile: ).

What was a dreadful no-go, is the cable. Are you kidding Sennheiser?!!! And thinking that it also comes with the much expensier siblings is absolutely unacceptable in every sense. My left IEM piece wouldn't even make a good contact with the wire, had to fiddle with it constantly, the microphonic and memory cable is just a plain nightmare to "work" with. I was almost returning it, which desolated me because I was loving the Sennheiser for everything else.

So I ordered an inexpensive Tripowin cable (I read in the IE600 thread that these were direct fits without having to fiddle with the connections) and it worked without having to change anything. In my case I ordered the Linsoul Tripowin Zonie 16 Core one but there are tons out there in Amazon.

That changed the all experience to the next level! So happy now! For the current price (usually heavy discounts are in place) I believe this little IEM is a no brainer! But consider upgrading the cable as soon as possible and wait for it to arrive to order tips (in case you don't already have third party ones) because the stock ones may just fit you. I was even surprised because not even the large ones would seal my ears with other IEM´s but with the Sennheiser the medium one is just a lovely fit. I guess it is related to how this type of construction goes deeper into the ear canal and therefore interacts with the tip.

Cheers!IMG_1490.jpeg
i used to own couple of this cable tripowin zonie 16. but now its only 1 left.
is it really fit the ie300 for replacement without changing anything the connections ?
thank you

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #665 of 738
I get along fine with the ie300 cable, I don't doubt that some people have trouble with it but I find it difficult to relate to the complaints about it. I noticed in some reviews they complain about the memory wire ear hooks, for some reason they try to get them to exactly match the shape of their ears, I don't know why, they don't support any weight, they are there to route the cables over the ears. They take me no longer to put on than any other IEM. Out of interest I tried to adapt a generic balanced mmcx cable to fit the ie300, I made the housings of the connectors more narrow so they could fit a little deeper into the IEM, it clicked into place and worked fine, no modification to the IEM itself.

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #666 of 738
i used to own couple of this cable tripowin zonie 16. but now its only 1 left.
is it really fit the ie300 for replacement without changing anything the connections ?
thank you
Yes, you can see from the picture. I believe usually people have to trim the plastic colored part (in the picture in red and yellow on the other) and on my case it is absolutely intact. Fitted like a glove. I knew these would fit perfectly the IE 600 but was not sure if the 300 had the same shape at the connection since nobody in here talked about this. I ordered it anyway and it was perfect. I can't stress enough that it has to be Tripowin and not sure if every single model will work but this one did for sure.

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #667 of 738
I get along fine with the ie300 cable, I don't doubt that some people have trouble with it but I find it difficult to relate to the complaints about it. I noticed in some reviews they complain about the memory wire ear hooks, for some reason they try to get them to exactly match the shape of their ears, I don't know why, they don't support any weight, they are there to route the cables over the ears. They take me no longer to put on than any other IEM. Out of interest I tried to adapt a generic balanced mmcx cable to fit the ie300, I made the housings of the connectors more narrow so they could fit a little deeper into the IEM, it clicked into place and worked fine, no modification to the IEM itself.
With the Tripowin cables you don't even have to do that. Plus, from my early experience, they are superior to the original one in many aspects. Try to put the IEM in place in your ears and then walk before listening to anything. That microphonic sound from the cable that echoes in your ears is annoying as hell. Second, when you try to insert the pieces in your ear, because of the "stiffness" of that harder part that sticks behind the ear, it mostly is in the way when you are inserting the IEM in the ears. At least to me, compared with the tripowin style, the original cable won't stay nicely straight once in ears and to the source, the other one, because of composition, is always nicely stretched without kinks and so on. Finally, when storing the IEM´s on the pouch and retrieving them for use, sometimes it is a pain with the original cable to have it ready, I find it much easier with these 3rd party cables.
Anyway, that was my experience with the short time I used the original cable. But if one is happy with it, lovely, less money to spend! :thumbsup: I also read that 95% of people here couldn't stand the original tips for one reason or another and they just work perfectly for me. Sure, they have thin paper composition and you could destroy them, if not careful, when taking them out, but I love them.:dt880smile:

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #668 of 738
With the Tripowin cables you don't even have to do that. Plus, from my early experience, they are superior to the original one in many aspects. Try to put the IEM in place in your ears and then walk before listening to anything. That microphonic sound from the cable that echoes in your ears is annoying as hell. Second, when you try to insert the pieces in your ear, because of the "stiffness" of that harder part that sticks behind the ear, it mostly is in the way when you are inserting the IEM in the ears. At least to me, compared with the tripowin style, the original cable won't stay nicely straight once in ears and to the source, the other one, because of composition, is always nicely stretched without kinks and so on. Finally, when storing the IEM´s on the pouch and retrieving them for use, sometimes it is a pain with the original cable to have it ready, I find it much easier with these 3rd party cables.
Anyway, that was my experience with the short time I used the original cable. But if one is happy with it, lovely, less money to spend! :thumbsup: I also read that 95% of people here couldn't stand the original tips for one reason or another and they just work perfectly for me. Sure, they have thin paper composition and you could destroy them, if not careful, when taking them out, but I love them.:dt880smile:
This is the place to experiment so if someone finds a better tip or cable for them, have at it. There are a ton of great suggestions here, too, so the process of getting to nirvana is a lot easier than it used to be.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 14, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #669 of 738
Yes. You're absolutely right.
Been tried this evening using the zonie & it fits perfectly.
Nothing to change at all.
Thank you for this. 🙏🙂

And now i wonder if other tripowin are similliar.
how about tripowin noire ..
anyone knows ?

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #670 of 738
Hi there, I just wanted to share some further thoughts.

It is interesting that people are saying they are having success with the Tripowen cables. I ordered the Tripowen C8 and whilst I was able to get it fit with a very firm push, I was still experiencing some connection issues. Perhaps it is just a variance in manufacturing tolerances with each cable? I might try another one.

I did experience some connection issues also with the stock cable, but was able to get a replacement set and they have been perfect.

I don't hate the stock cable, it seems very well made and like it will be very durable over time. I just just wish it wasn't so microphonic and also I do dislike how it holds its shape when coiled up. I would prefer a softer design or perhaps braided.

This leads me on to mentioning, I was looking at the specs for the recently announced IE200. This looks to have a new braided cable design, which should address many of the complaints of the IE300, IE600 & IE900 cables. I'm hoping they sell it as a stand alone accessory and also that they consider 4.4mm balanced variants!

MrXVgHNYSuSSpudHWsyI

In terms of the IE300 sound, I have been so impressed, it feels really smooth and organic with really deep bass performance. It sounds wonderful connected to my Ifi Gryhon, but is so easy to drive that even from my iPhone with the 3.5mm dongle, it sounds pretty good. The deep fit and lightweight design work well for me and the isolation is good so I'm using these a lot for travel.

I'm now very interested in the IE600 as a next step, but I think I'm happy to enjoy these for a good while yet!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #671 of 738
This leads me on to mentioning, I was looking at the specs for the recently announced IE200. This looks to have a new braided cable design, which should address many of the complaints of the IE300, IE600 & IE900 cables. I'm hoping they sell it as a stand alone accessory and also that they consider 4.4mm balanced variants!
If you look at the gear page for IE200 they have listed the cables and part numbers https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-ie-200.26289/

700260Braided cable, 4.4mm, without mic (balanced) *coming late spring 2023

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #672 of 738
If you look at the gear page for IE200 they have listed the cables and part numbers https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-ie-200.26289/
Ah yes so they have and with all flavours of balanced cables also! Excellent! They have the current IE300/600/900 cables listed in there as 'high end' cables. Aside from the braiding wonder what the differences between the new design and older high end cables are?

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #673 of 738
Also intersted in IE200 cable, but given the absurd price of 100 euros for IE300/600/900 3,5mm cable I bet IE200 cable will be similarly priced.... and yes it is absurd becasuse IE300 with included cable are often times reduced to 150 euros. Cable alone should not cost more than 20-30 euros.

As for the cable quality I am mostly satisfied it is nicely made not gonna complain about microphonics since I rarely use it outdoors, most times it sits on my desk plugged to G6 dac/amp. My only gripe how short it is from splitter to the hook making the splitter situated too close to neck.

Connection issue update: so far so good, haven't experienced more than few times in left earphone, but I use it mostly indoors and very careful not to break anything. The connection is very delicate it is obvious when inspecting gaps between earphones and cable and the fact earphones swivel is too loose.

Sound Quality is the most important aspect why I kept them and would buy them again despite some issues. The immersion in music is unpresented at this price point (not to mention 150 euros when discounted). Intimate organic sound that makes you keep listening and enjoy music all over again. Was blown away when had my first listen to guitars.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #674 of 738
Also intersted in IE200 cable, but given the absurd price of 100 euros for IE300/600/900 3,5mm cable I bet IE200 cable will be similarly priced.... and yes it is absurd becasuse IE300 with included cable are often times reduced to 150 euros. Cable alone should not cost more than 20-30 euros.

I agree that the price will likely be disproportionate, but since this is a cable for a €150 product I’m hoping it will be a little cheaper than the previous ‘pro’ cables. I’m hoping no more than €60!

Connection issue update: so far so good, haven't experienced more than few times in left earphone, but I use it mostly indoors and very careful not to break anything. The connection is very delicate it is obvious when inspecting gaps between earphones and cable and the fact earphones swivel is too loose.

If you have had any connection issues at all I would consider requesting a replacement from the retailer or contacting Sennheiser support. My first pair had the intermittent connection issues but since I had them replaced it hasn’t happened once. I was ready to give up on them initially and just get a refund but like you , I loved the sound, so wanted to give them a chance!

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #675 of 738
It's not a persistent issue in a sense I only lost sound few times maybe for split second and only fiddling with the unit when I it was in my ear playing music. Consider it more like a general MMCX issue rather than my particular unit, but yes I am very well aware of such problems within all IE series. This connection type has a long story being problematic. Maybe if I wear it more outdoors, for sports and such the problem would become more obvious.

Apparently IE300 is being discountinued... at least according to polish official sennheiser distributor which is stated in unboxing of the new IE200 that suppose to replace IE300 in senn's portfolio.

According to Headfonia IE200 is a downgrade in almost all departments. For anyone who's still considering maybe it's the last chance to get IE300 at a good price before they'll be gone from stores and aftermarket prices skyrocket.

yKDGksR.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back