Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
Oct 1, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #616 of 738
Any IE 300 owners who've used ER2SE/XR, how do they compare, aside from frequency response?

The IE 300 has a much larger out of the head soundstage and, having a somewhat U-shaped frequency response, much more sub bass and thumpy mid bass that is balanced by an elevated treble. Both the ER2 versions come across as more neutral sounding, with an intimate soundstage positioned in front of the head as focused as your peripheral vision can get.

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #617 of 738
The IE 300 has a much larger out of the head soundstage and, having a somewhat U-shaped frequency response, much more sub bass and thumpy mid bass that is balanced by an elevated treble. Both the ER2 versions come across as more neutral sounding, with an intimate soundstage positioned in front of the head as focused as your peripheral vision can get.
Any comment on technical ability?

Im interested in SE specifically for neutral response, almost inverse of IE 300, and high sound isolation but hope it is not too much of a technical downgrade from IE 300.

I did find 1 or 2 comparisons, they didn't report a huge difference. also considering that raised treble, as with ie 300, can often give exaggerated sense of detail or speed,

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #618 of 738
Any comment on technical ability?

Im interested in SE specifically for neutral response, almost inverse of IE 300, and high sound isolation but hope it is not too much of a technical downgrade from IE 300.

I did find 1 or 2 comparisons, they didn't report a huge difference. also considering that raised treble, as with ie 300, can often give exaggerated sense of detail or speed,

I don't find a noticeable loss in detail with the SE versus the IE 300. Both are really enjoyable and both only suffer a bit in comparison to the more clinically accurate detailing of the ER4SR, but even then not that much. It really sounds like the ER2SE is for you. It is easily one of my "indispensable" IEMs, and at any price. That being said, the IE 300 is a blast to listen to, and my most comfortable IEM.

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #620 of 738
Has anybody tried the Lunashops braided cable for the IE300?

https://www.lunashops.com/search.ph...zZWFyY2hfZW5jb2RlX3RpbWUiO2k6MTY2NDY1Mjg0Njt9

Curious to see if it solves the microphonics problem of Senn's OEM cable. (BTW, I've seen Lunashops cables recommended for Etys, too.)

I would not hesitate to recommend them, although I don't have one for my IE 300 yet. I have cables made for one of my Etys and a few of my over ears phones. Very robustly built and made to last.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #621 of 738
Any IE 300 owners who've used ER2SE/XR, how do they compare, aside from frequency response?
I have both, I think the er2xr sounds sounds good but I don't enjoy it, songs that never fail to move me with other earphones leave me cold with the er2xr, I used it for a couple of weeks when I first got it then not for a very long time. I haven't had any problems with it, the connectors seem more like a friction fit, they don't click together. I found it can be used effectively without doing the deep fit thing that causes so much hilarity and puts people off buying them. Sensitivity is on the low side for an IEM so if using an ipod or phone headphone socket the loudness may not be enough for some people. I always use a portable DAC/amp so its no problem. Microphonics are no issue as I clip the cable to my shirt near the splitter.

I like the IE300 a lot more, it's warmish sound is more suitable for the type of music I mostly listen to, bass has more of a thump. I don't find it a very bassy IEM, many people do but many also recommend the er2xr and B2 Dusk to those looking for "bass heavy" IEMs which seems absurd. I find the sound very versatile though perhaps a little too safe for me, not the most engaging sound though if I had to take one IEM on a trip it might be it.

Construction quality and comfort is great, I trod on one of the earpieces while wearing heavy boots and it survived with a light scuff. I am not the most careful when handling IEMs but, I assume that they are fragile and try not to do anything likely to cause damage like throw them around or stuff them loose into pockets. Connectors click together solidly and securely. I have no trouble with the cable and memory wire, I don't know why people try to get it to exactly match the shape of their ears, it only guides the cables over the them, it doesn't support any weight, you just bend it over your ears and you're done, it takes me no longer to put on than preshaped earhooks, with glasses it could possibly be irritating. I can wear it indefinitely, very comfortable, low profile and discreet.

The included tips were fine, the silicone tip needed a little finesse to fit but once you get it right its easy to repeat if you have functioning digits. I always try many different tips over time with all IEMs, the nozzle on the ie300 is a standard size so all the most popular and easy to obtain tips fit it, I settled on Comply 400. Some people describe them as using proprietary tips, this implies that only the included tips will work and is misleading.

It gets loud from my phone headphone socket, again I use a DAC/amp so power is no problem. Also no issue with microphonics if you use a clip, this shouldn't really be an issue for anyone.

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #622 of 738
SQ is amazing especially for the price, however like many others I have started to experience lost connection problem after 3 months since purchase. To be clear for now it's not much of problem really as long as it won't get any worse, but now I get what others have said. With my pair when I slightly push down the left hook during wearing them and listening to music, the sound is cut out, and when I release the pressure the sound comes back. Sometimes sound cuts out for split second just by slightly touching it or readjusting the hook. It looks like connection issue, on top of that left earphone swivels more freely than the right one that is also something other have reported.

Sennheiser representetive or sound engineer I can't remember, but someone have stated the issue is marginal. Well I don't think so... there are many ppl reporting the issue here on head fi, it never stopped new customers are reporting it regularly regarding all IE range that is 300/600/900.... When you look at amazon each month there's a flood of reviews reporting lost connection in one of the channels or both. It's a persistent issue that still hasn't been fixed.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #624 of 738
Thev ie300 are currently on amazon for £125 brand new..
Wow. That is a bargain. Tempted to pick up a second set and keep them wrapped up just in case my pair fail at that price. I’m still absolutely loving the IE300. Kept these over everything else in my collection, including the IE900 and IE600. The 300 is the best of the IE line up for my ears and taste. I honestly don’t feel they’re lacking in technicalities Vs them, it comes sound to FR differences and preference imo.
I daily AirPods Pro 2 now and use the IE300 as my at home reference, they’re so good.

Ps: I actually think the main factor in a preference in sound across the IE range comes down to tips choice, my favourite tip for comfort and overall sound has always been the stock silicone, the problem with the stock silicone is that it makes the sound a bit brighter which made the IE900/ 600 a touch bright for me but it ‘corrects’ the 300 and makes it very balanced.
The foam made the 900 sound better but soundstage and detail suffered a little but the foam on the 300 made them to bassy and dark.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #625 of 738
Yes, there are absolutely fake IE300, IE600 and IE900s being sold on Aliexpress (and other places such as Ebay).
Yeah, Sennheiser is one of those mainstream well known company that there's a dedicated DIY community centered on using their IEM's housing.

Nov 18, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #626 of 738
Has anyone tried EQing their Senn IE300s? I was not happy with the sound when I got it, but was generally ok with the price paid and the Sennheiser build quality. So once I got a new DAC, I took a chopping block to the sound.

This is what it looks like now lol.

Anyone else try something this drastic?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-18-13-52-36-131_com.qudelix.qudelix.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-18-13-52-36-131_com.qudelix.qudelix.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 0
  • graph (2).png
    graph (2).png
    242.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #627 of 738
Has anyone tried EQing their Senn IE300s? I was not happy with the sound when I got it, but was generally ok with the price paid and the Sennheiser build quality. So once I got a new DAC, I took a chopping block to the sound.

This is what it looks like now lol.

Anyone else try something this drastic?

Oh, yes. I use this (the AutoEq project): https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/harman_in-ear_2019v2/Sennheiser IE 300

I raise the lower frequencies a bit (like 3dB in the 31-250Hz range), because I like them a bit warmer than that, not so neutral. They improve quite a lot. The default signature has a too pronounced "V" shape for my taste, obscuring the mids, and equalizing it makes them a better headphone. Try it.

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #628 of 738
Just received my IE300s from Amazon, a Black Friday deal I couldn't resist. Sound so far is very very good on my Hiby R6 DAP, however the cable is not so good as per many reviews I had previously read. Can anyone recommend a good replacement cable ? Looking on Amazon there isn't much choice, due to the recessed MMCX plug.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #629 of 738
Just received my IE300s from Amazon, a Black Friday deal I couldn't resist. Sound so far is very very good on my Hiby R6 DAP, however the cable is not so good as per many reviews I had previously read. Can anyone recommend a good replacement cable ? Looking on Amazon there isn't much choice, due to the recessed MMCX plug.
What is it you don't like about the cable?
I just ordered them myself, $120AUD off.

Nov 22, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #630 of 738
Received mine as well, while I don't have an issue wtih the cable as yet, am also wondering on replacement options down the track if things go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back