Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #226 of 738
I don't use the term shouty, but IE 300 pushes vocals pretty far backward, don't think that'll be an issue with this set.
I think I might have to try them. 🙂 They sound pretty interesting from what I have read. The comfort of my ears is the most important factor though to ditch the FH3...

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #227 of 738
I think I might have to try them. 🙂 They sound pretty interesting from what I have read. The comfort of my ears is the most important factor though to ditch the FH3...
The fit is the best part of the IE300...it is quite small but sounds big...i thought my FH1 and A4000 were small but IE300 is smaller. you forget it's in your ears with stock tips. To tame the bass alittle, use AZLA Xlastic tips

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #231 of 738
Thanks for the tip. Why did you sell it if you don't mind?
To fund my other purchases. It does sound good though the IE300 and the cables are really comfortable as well. Very thin and flexible. I preferred their cable compared to my Effect Audio cables. Too bad my local dealer only carry a handful of SKUs which does not include the 2 pin to 4.4 CPS series. Until then, I would stick with my Effect Audio.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #232 of 738
Anyone compared these to the shure aonic 4? I need good isolation.Have had shure iems before,but the sennheisers might suite me better (v shaped sound?). I listen to all kind of music.Rap,metal,classical,pop,rock,you name it.But mostly im listening to electronica.House,trance,old dance music....

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #233 of 738
I had the shure se846 long ago.They where really good at blocking noise out.I have the sony xm4.But i dont think noise cancelling headphones are that great at isolating.Passive isolating iems are better i think.Ive had some expensive iems,like xelento,se846 and fiio fh7.All of them where really good,and had their strenghts.But for their price,they got used to little.So i sold them.The shure aonic 4 and sennheiser ie300,are more within my price range regards to listening time.At home i use amiron home and modhouse argon t50rp mk3 with desktop amp and dac.I also use the sony xm4 once in a while when doing housework or i need bluetooth.I also have the jabra t75 active.But i use them outside in poor weather.The aonic 4 or ie300 will be used on traveling in noisy enviroments.I have great experience with noise isolation on iems.And i also think wired sounds better than bluetooth.I will be getting an dragonfly black for these.Since i will not use them daily,i dont want to pay the price for an dragonfly red or cobalt.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #234 of 738
Let me start by being up front. I'm a Sennheiser fan boy. Always have been. I've owned every Sennheiser IEM from the CX150 through the CX215 and CX300 II all the way up to the 880, IE80, and finally the IE40 Pro and IE800. I also own the HD599 and owned the HD600, 58x, and HD280 PRO, so I know my Sennheiser sound. With a few hours into these newest IEM's, the IE300, I can emphatically say they are the best Sennheiser IEM's they've ever produced. Yes, even better than the IE800, which remains their flagship earphone. Apparently, Senn took the 7mm XWB found in the IE800 and IE40, and refined it? From the sound of it, YES THEY DID. These are a very refined listen. They remind me of the sound coming from my HD599 cans more than they remind me of any previous Senn earphone. They have much more controlled highs than the IE40, and are as refined as the IE800 highs. Where they separate from the IE800, aside from crushing it in in fit and comfort, is the pinpoint imaging. The soundstage is as wide, but the imaging is world class. Better than just about any IEM i've ever heard, and i've heard over 100 from $5.00 to $1,000. With great air and instrument separation, the placement of instruments in their place is just a revelation. What a treat! Mids are balanced, but not forward. These are mildly V shaped, with present bass that's never bleeding into the mids, but that have weight, impact, presence, and moderate speed. As I mentioned, there's have a very 3D presentation, with plenty of depth and height. These are very refined and mature sounding. The Sennheiser veil isn't very present here at all, certainly not like the IE800. The mids are more forward than the IE800, and the bass a touch less. Above average air and instrument separation. Timbre is also above average, but not what i'd call world class, but that's because the treble, though very refined and present, isn't overly extended, and there's no peaks, that would give the illusion of overly transparent highs or weighty timbre. It's just right. Extension is excellent and so is timbre, and realistic (don't listen to those who said the timbre isn't realistic..they are WRONG). It's just not overdone and very tasteful. The cable is so much better than anything else offered by Sennheiser. Why oh why did Sennheiser not use this cable on the IE800?! or even the IE40 pro or it's siblings? If they had, they might have had an earphone as popular as the CX300, which put Sennheiser on the IEM map in the early 2000's. Comfort is supreme. The components are attractive, well built, and smallish. I'm really impressed with the build quality here. The sound is fun, coherent, clear, refined (have I mentioned that yet? lol), with strong bass response. Ok, time to go listen to more 80's music with these! Later!

IMG_6047.jpgIMG_6046 (1).jpgIMG_6045.jpgIMG_6046.jpgIMG_6056.jpgIMG_6055.jpgIMG_6054.jpgIMG_6053.jpgIMG_6051.jpgIMG_6052.jpgIMG_6050.jpgIMG_6049.jpgIMG_6048.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6057.jpg
    IMG_6057.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #236 of 738
Let me start by being up front. I'm a Sennheiser fan boy. Always have been. I've owned every Sennheiser IEM from the CX150 through the CX215 and CX300 II all the way up to the 880, IE80, and finally the IE40 Pro and IE800. I also own the HD599 and owned the HD600, 58x, and HD280 PRO, so I know my Sennheiser sound. With a few hours into these newest IEM's, the IE300, I can emphatically say they are the best Sennheiser IEM's they've ever produced. Yes, even better than the IE800, which remains their flagship earphone. Apparently, Senn took the 7mm XWB found in the IE800 and IE40, and refined it? From the sound of it, YES THEY DID. These are a very refined listen. They remind me of the sound coming from my HD599 cans more than they remind me of any previous Senn earphone. They have much more controlled highs than the IE40, and are as refined as the IE800 highs. Where they separate from the IE800, aside from crushing it in in fit and comfort, is the pinpoint imaging. The soundstage is as wide, but the imaging is world class. Better than just about any IEM i've ever heard, and i've heard over 100 from $5.00 to $1,000. With great air and instrument separation, the placement of instruments in their place is just a revelation. What a treat! Mids are balanced, but not forward. These are mildly V shaped, with present bass that's never bleeding into the mids, but that have weight, impact, presence, and moderate speed. As I mentioned, there's have a very 3D presentation, with plenty of depth and height. These are very refined and mature sounding. The Sennheiser veil isn't very present here at all, certainly not like the IE800. The mids are more forward than the IE800, and the bass a touch less. Above average air and instrument separation. Timbre is also above average, but not what i'd call world class, but that's because the treble, though very refined and present, isn't overly extended, and there's no peaks, that would give the illusion of overly transparent highs or weighty timbre. It's just right. Extension is excellent and so is timbre, and realistic (don't listen to those who said the timbre isn't realistic..they are WRONG). It's just not overdone and very tasteful. The cable is so much better than anything else offered by Sennheiser. Why oh why did Sennheiser not use this cable on the IE800?! or even the IE40 pro or it's siblings? If they had, they might have had an earphone as popular as the CX300, which put Sennheiser on the IEM map in the early 2000's. Comfort is supreme. The components are attractive, well built, and smallish. I'm really impressed with the build quality here. The sound is fun, coherent, clear, refined (have I mentioned that yet? lol), with strong bass response. Ok, time to go listen to more 80's music with these! Later!

Gotta disagree on some of this. My first serious hi-fi was the Sennheiser HD414 and so much of the music we're listening to came through Sennheiser mics. I definitely like the fit of the IE300, and how small and light they are. I use them a lot and they're a keeper.

BUT.

They are bassy. Just admit it. I'm using firm silicone tips (BQEYZ) instead of the soft, droopy stock tips, much less my usual foams, and they are still elevated in the bass. It's fun, it's not mushy, it feels good, the timbres of different bass instruments are clear. But it is bassy. Depending on production and register, vocals can be recessed.

In my most recent online tests, my hearing declines above 12K-13K, so I like the brightness up above. Others might find it excessive, though I don't think these are shouty.

And I'm sorry to contradict, but the cable is a disgrace. Super noisy microphonics, not even a clip in the package to compensate. Listening deskside, you can still hear it if you move. I can't imagine walking or exercising or other pre-Covid activities with them. Tighten the slider under my chin like I'm wearing a sombrero? I don't think so.

The cable is like something they only tested in a lab with couplers and no one walked around the factory with them. The minute some Chi-fi knockoff factory figures out the one-tiered MMCX connector and offers a cheap, non-microphonic cable, I'm there.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #237 of 738
Gotta disagree on some of this. My first serious hi-fi was the Sennheiser HD414 and so much of the music we're listening to came through Sennheiser mics. I definitely like the fit of the IE300, and how small and light they are. I use them a lot and they're a keeper.

BUT.

They are bassy. Just admit it. I'm using firm silicone tips (BQYEZ) instead of the soft, droopy stock tips, much less my usual foams, and they are still elevated in the bass. It's fun, it's not mushy, it feels good, the timbres of different bass instruments are clear. But it is bassy. Depending on production and register, vocals can be recessed.

In my most recent online tests, my hearing declines above 12K-13K, so I like the brightness up above. Others might find it excessive, though I don't think these are shouty.

And I'm sorry to contradict, but the cable is a disgrace. Super noisy microphonics, not even a clip in the package to compensate. Listening deskside, you can still hear it if you move. I can't imagine walking or exercising or other pre-Covid activities with them. Tighten the slider under my chin like I'm wearing a sombrero? I don't think so.

The cable is like something they only tested in a lab with couplers and no one walked around the factory with them. The minute some Chi-fi knockoff factory figures out the one-tiered MMCX connector and offers a cheap, non-microphonic cable, I'm there.
I think one's bassy sound can be another's normal sound? I don't have many iems but I have an MH1 and an FH3 and I have read they are considered quite bassy by most people. My modded MH1 came with instructions on how to meticulously EQ them to cut some bass and raise mids and treble but after burning them and my brain in I think they just sound as they should. Less bass just means it is thin to my ears...
As for the cable people said the FH3 has a horrible cable with strong microphonics and is too stiff and heavy but I just find it great for everyday use and the microphonics are just minimal.
So, opinions are bound to differ greatly as always.

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #238 of 738

BUT.

They are bassy. Just admit it. I'm using firm silicone tips (BQYEZ) instead of the soft, droopy stock tips, much less my usual foams, and they are still elevated in the bass. It's fun, it's not mushy, it feels good, the timbres of different bass instruments are clear. But it is bassy. Depending on production and register, vocals can be recessed.

oh they are microphonic!! I even put that in my review ratings as a con. They are very microphonic..BUT...use the cinch, and that is reduced considerably. As for being bassy....yes they are. Again, i put that in the cons section...BUT...i got a Hiby R5, and I can use MSEB and EQ the bass down to a manageable thump, plus they never really bleed. They just are present. They have presence.

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #240 of 738
Is the isolation good?
If you get a good seal, yes, the isolation is good. You may have to get different tips, depending on your ears. The silicones that come with the IE300 were pretty good, very soft comfortable silicone, but a little small for me. They're probably fine for most people.

I need large tips and I generally use foamies, but I wanted to tame the bass a bit.

So I got these firmer silicone BQEYZ tips. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998871168.html .

You can message them to get one size instead of the multipack (there's also a 12-pack available for $2.89).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back