Sennheiser Headphone Connector
Jan 10, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #31 of 65
Sounds good. Just ordered 3 HD650 cables from Sennheiser Canada at $15 each, they said shipping is $11 and takes about 2 weeks.

Hoping to end up with 1 Cardas cable and 1 pure silver in cotton
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #33 of 65
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=243

These are similar to HD650 connectors. That was the first pair I did, I have since done a much better job on others now I have experience! Still, the pair in the post above have been on a set of phones for nearly 2 years and I have removed, reinserted and sometimes ripped the plugs out of the 'phones maybe 50 times, no issues at _all_ :]

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=243

These are similar to HD650 connectors. That was the first pair I did, I have since done a much better job on others now I have experience! Still, the pair in the post above have been on a set of phones for nearly 2 years and I have removed, reinserted and sometimes ripped the plugs out of the 'phones maybe 50 times, no issues at _all_ :]

think i've seen this some long time ago andl.. doesnt look as easy..
redface.gif

i just made one for myself and will try to do some more with different cables. ill take a picture of it when i get a chance.. dont expect much tho.. this is indeed my first time recabling senn cables.. not that im particularly better with other cables but...

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to play around with this DIY adapter over then next few days. For anyone interested, I measured the stock Senn connector with calipers and here are the specs:

sennconnectorwithinfojpib3.jpg

For the positive pin 16ga is the closest match and for the ground pin 14ga is the closest.

Feedback/suggestions on this are welcome of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

keep us posted on how this works out...

Jan 12, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #37 of 65
I cut into the connectors and removed the old wire, put a new one in. painless experience. far superior quality. you just have to be patient, it's not that big of a deal to do.

good luck.

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #38 of 65
What did you use to cut? I'm always keen to learn new ways
biggrin.gif

I tried mine with a craft knife but they were too tuff, in the end I used a Dremmel with a worn (small) cutting disc - made a right mess!

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #42 of 65
I made a set of DIY senn. high-end cables for my 580's, from the original connectors . . . without cutting them open and without adding an extra splice joint on to the cable. The came out real nice, however this takes real patience and care to get right. This is what I did:

01. using a small vice i gripped one of the connectors upright with the cable hanging towards the floor

02. i used small, long nose pliers to grip one of the pins

03. i slowly heated the pin i was holding, pulling driectly up on the pin with the pliers

04. the connector plastic softened just enough to pull the pin out, with the wire still attached

05. the original senn. wire was desoldered from the pin

06. steps 2-5 repeat for the second pin of the connector

07. the original senn. cable was removed from the connector

08. close fit adhesive lined inside, heat shrink was thread onto the new cabling

09. each of the two wires was thread into it's respective hole in the senn. connector

10. the pins were soldered onto their respective wires of the new cable

11. a small amount of super glue was placed on the lower half of the pin

12. using larger long nose pliers the the pins were fitted back into the connectors

13. the adhesive heat shrink was slid over the strain relief and the upper part of the new cable, and a micro blowtorch was used to seal everything up

The end result is a very professional looking job . . . you can't tell the difference. A limitation is the strain relief in terms of the cable diameter you can use. It fits relatively small cables . . . i had to cut away the senn. strain relief to use my favourite belden cable (my favourite signal cable period) in place of the original senn. cable. I am presently working on a fix for this. Hope this helps anyone else trying this mod.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by meta03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made a set of DIY senn. high-end cables for my 580's, from the original connectors . . . without cutting them open and without adding an extra splice joint on to the cable. The came out real nice, however this takes real patience and care to get right. This is what I did:

01. using a small vice i gripped one of the connectors upright with the cable hanging towards the floor

03. i slowly heated the pin i was holding, pulling driectly up on the pin with the connectors

04. the connector plastic softened just enough to pull the pin out, with the wire still attached

07. the original senn. cable is removes from the connector

08. close fit adhesive lined inside heat shrink was thread onto the new cabling

09. each of the two wires was thread into it's respective hole in the senn. connector

12. using larger long nose pliers the the pins were fitted back into the connectors

13. the adhesive heat shrink was slid over the strain relief and the upper part of the new cable, and a micro blowtorch was used to seal everything up

The end result is a very professional looking job . . . you can't tell the difference. A limitation is the strain relief in terms of the cable diameter you can use. It fits relatively small cables . . . i had to cut away the senn. strain relief to use my favourite belden cable (my favourite signal cable period) in place of the original senn. cable. I am presently working on a fix for this. Hope this helps anyone else trying this mod.

you didn't by any chance take any pictures while you were doing this did you?

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #44 of 65
No, however, I am planning on doing it again once i can get hold of a pair of the newer hd650 cable connectors. I didn't know how well it would work the first time so i didn't bother. when i get a chance to replace the connectors i will take photos of the procedure then. (sorry)

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by meta03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

03. i slowly heated the pin i was holding, pulling driectly up on the pin with the pliers

07. the original senn. cable was removed from the connector

08. close fit adhesive lined inside, heat shrink was thread onto the new cabling

Can you please post a picture of the finished product?

Thanks,
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back