Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jul 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,216 of 3,016
Are you listening to the same music as you did in the store? You did mentioned noise when you turn up the volume on some tracks. That shouldn't be there, unless it's part of the original recording. Many hifi stores (at least here in Sweden) have a loaner system, so you can borrow demo cables and equipment and try them out first. If you're set on getting an expensive USB cable I'd try before I bought one, because it's possible it might not make any difference at all for you.

It might be that the store was using a cd player with a much better dac than the one in the HDVD 800. The HDVD 800 dac is great, but not as good as higher end separates. But if you're getting weird noise there might be something else going on.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,217 of 3,016
Thanks alot TheManko,

I'm not listening to the same music. In the store they had a good Jazz CD. At home I'm listeing to all my own music (already listened to hundreds of songs). mostly flac (foobar), 1/3 of all music I'm listening is 24/96.

Yeah, I want to try the cable, but I can't :). I have one week to send it back though (kind of trying). But still alot of money.
That person tells me it should increase soundstage alot (and other things aswell). Problem is there are many people saying that a different (better) digital cable shouldn't make any difference. 

In the store I heard alot better soundstage. The soundstage now is almost identical to my HD 598 + E17 (300 euro's), that can't be possible, even the dac in the HDVD should be able to get alot more out of the HD 800 (than the fiio, the price difference is to big).
In soundstage alone I think there is an improvement of less than 10% to my HD598+E17. What I heard in the store, I didn't even know that was possible (improvement of 100% to my experience :) ).

What usb cable do you use? Have you tried different kinds of usb cables?

BTW I always thought that CD player goes around the DAC (because it isn't a digital signal, wright?), but I don't know to much about these kind of things :).

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,218 of 3,016
Yesterday I received Senn HDVD 800 and HD 800 (not balanced 'yet' :)). Not at all what I heard in the store (now its digital, in the store it was CD player).
Less of everything (soundstage, headstage, detail, openness/airyness, clearness).
It sounds almost identical to my HD598 with Fiio E17, wich shouln't be the case :). I think only a 10% improvement, so somewhere there's a big bottleneck.

I'm listening with a external HDD usb cable (direct from usb out of mobo, music from different hdd's (no difference)), what are peoples experiences with better usb cables? I know that experiece/thoughts are very varied.
What are benefits that you can clearly hear with better usb cable? Wich cable do people recommend? Or wich cables are used? I know about audioquest and some others, but never heard any.

Are there other improvements I can make? I already tried some stuff with foobar (like PPHS (tried 196000, now 96000) and kernel component (now 24 bit)), I thought it was a slight improvement.
But I really think there is a big bottleneck somewhere (because I already heard this set and it sounded unbelievable (soundstage etc) compared to what I'm hearing now).

A store is offering me a cable 'Heavens Gate USB cable, Ultra Supreme, 1 metre. Pure Silver
' from 999 for 325, anyone any experience with this cable?

Thanks alot for all thoughts/help/sharing experiences etc.

Btw I hear alot of noise with some songs, almost always when it's a song where I have to turn the volume up quite a bit (from 1/4 to 1/2 of total volume). And I don't have 24/196, so it's 24/96 or lower "quality". Perhaps usb or some upsampling setting to 24/196 perhaps? I'm sorry for my English and the fact that I don't know anything about audio. But I try :)

If you flip the pages about 10,20 before, you will see the high noise issue with the dac.sennheiser is working on a fix now, you should keep eye on this form I guess.
Personally, digital cable only have spec limit, the quality of the cable have almost nothing to do with the sound.even upgrade the power cable makes more sense compare to digital cables. There just high and low s, only thing differentiating them is its maximum bandwidth . With USB 2.0,I see no need to use special cable

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,219 of 3,016
I think you are simply experiencing the law of diminishing returns. It's very typical.

The HD598 is a fine sounding headphone with a very similar subjective frequency response to the HD800. You read all the glowing comments about the HD800/HDVD800 combo and expected to hear a dramatic night and day improvement. Unfortunately, it just doesnt exist. The HD598 is probably 90% of the HD800.

As for the difference between what you heard in the store and at home, that happens all the time too. At the store - different setting, different expectations, no HD598 to A/B - the HD800 surely impressed you on first impression. Now at home with your HD598 at hand, you are discovering that the differences aren't very dramatic.

Understand that every discussion about headphone sound here at head-fi - every mention of soundstage, depth, air, timbre, etc. is in reference to that last little 10% improvement to be eeked out by spending thousands of dollars. Most people are quite happy to spend $300 and get 90% of the way there. The last 10% is the frustrating, eye squinting, wallet emptying part of this hobby (and forum).

Don't waste your money on a USB cable, brass weights, power cords, and audiophile fuses. What you are now hearing with your HD800 is pretty much all there is to hear.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #1,220 of 3,016
In store wasn't balanced. What I have is exactly what I listened to in store (demo model). Only difference is that there I listened through CD, and now only digital (DAC).

Thanks alot TheManko,

I'm not listening to the same music. In the store they had a good Jazz CD. At home I'm listeing to all my own music (already listened to hundreds of songs). mostly flac (foobar), 1/3 of all music I'm listening is 24/96.

Yeah, I want to try the cable, but I can't :). I have one week to send it back though (kind of trying). But still alot of money.
That person tells me it should increase soundstage alot (and other things aswell). Problem is there are many people saying that a different (better) digital cable shouldn't make any difference. 

In the store I heard alot better soundstage. The soundstage now is almost identical to my HD 598 + E17 (300 euro's), that can't be possible, even the dac in the HDVD should be able to get alot more out of the HD 800 (than the fiio, the price difference is to big).
In soundstage alone I think there is an improvement of less than 10% to my HD598+E17. What I heard in the store, I didn't even know that was possible (improvement of 100% to my experience :) ).

BTW I always thought that CD player goes around the DAC (because it isn't a digital signal, wright?), but I don't know to much about these kind of things :).
if u only got them yesterday,u really need 2 let them both run in,try leaving them playing over night 4 about a week, this will help them out a lot,and u will notice a big difference.have a good look at this thread and don't worry in a few weeks ur love ur hdvd800 and ur hd800s.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,221 of 3,016
Quote:
Probably the first thing.

Well,I did AB the single ended output between the HDVD800 and my RPX-35 using the same DAC 1. As far as sounds goes, RPX-35 sound better than HDVD800 single ended for sure in every aspect. But if I use the HDVD800 against DAC1+ RPX-35, it turns to a battle between different sound signature. However, you can say that RPX-35 still wins in sound quality (sound stage, detail, high end and low end extension).
Then, if you use Balance V.S. Single ended, I can tell very subjectively, HDVD800 for both the internal DAC and DAC1 is better than the single ended RPX-35. Again, I an not put a number to say how much better percentage wise, but the sound improvement is noticeable.

Since I only uses HDVD800 as balance setup and only for my T1 and HD800, I find there is no point to compare the single ended output of HDVD800 to other top notch single ended amps. I am not even sure Sennheiser spend any money to develop the single ended output, they might just throw some op-amp on it to just use the sound from the dac. Who knows. 

If you only wish to use the single ended output, I guess you should not get the HDVD800, there are so many good quality cheaper options out there. But, on balance, there are not many option out there can beat the price. I tried the BHA-1 balance, not as good as HDVD800.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,222 of 3,016
I wonder how the RP-010B and RP-030 compare to the HDVD800.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,223 of 3,016
Quote:
I think you are simply experiencing the law of diminishing returns. It's very typical.

The HD598 is a fine sounding headphone with a very similar subjective frequency response to the HD800. You read all the glowing comments about the HD800/HDVD800 combo and expected to hear a dramatic night and day improvement. Unfortunately, it just doesnt exist. The HD598 is probably 90% of the HD800.

As for the difference between what you heard in the store and at home, that happens all the time too. At the store - different setting, different expectations, no HD598 to A/B - the HD800 surely impressed you on first impression. Now at home with your HD598 at hand, you are discovering that the differences aren't very dramatic.

Understand that every discussion about headphone sound here at head-fi - every mention of soundstage, depth, air, timbre, etc. is in reference to that last little 10% improvement to be eeked out by spending thousands of dollars. Most people are quite happy to spend $300 and get 90% of the way there. The last 10% is the frustrating, eye squinting, wallet emptying part of this hobby (and forum).

Don't waste your money on a USB cable, brass weights, power cords, and audiophile fuses. What you are now hearing with your HD800 is pretty much all there is to hear.

Agreed.

I think in terms of sound stage, depth, air or detail, everyone will have their own perspective.
I am not saying these to offend the Grado fan, but I really really do not get their sound. For me, Grado (Only listen to the PSK for 1 hour once) sounds completely V-shaped with very recessive mid. There is no air, not detail or realistic sound stage coming out of that phone to me. Even with very good amps, it sounds like a 200 dollar phone or worse. However, they are still tones of ppl in headfi says it is the best phone for classic with its excellent sound stage. 

Hence, either my ear have very very bad frequency response or sound in different people carry different terms. Too bad there is no way to regulate the vocabulary to say what can be define as good sound stage, what can be define as good timber, etc. Hence, what can be define as only 10% improvement on everything can also result as "much better sound stage" in others mind.

In addition, I think the burnin process not only happens physically on the device, but also happens psychologically in your head. To me, my HDVD800 after 100 hours sound much better now with more bass and less harshness in treble. Is the change really happened? Or, maybe my ear has already been burned in with the sound signature so I do not get that much "complaint" from my mind anymore. At least I can say is, if you listen to a high end device for long time, you got to other mid-end or low-end stuff, you can tell the difference instantly for sure~~~~

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,224 of 3,016
Quote:
I wonder how the RP-010B and RP-030 compare to the HDVD800.

ppl have that kind of cash, normally go STAX already~~~~~~~Or speaker~~~~~~~I wish to know too~~~~~
Maybe we can wait to see if SIXMOON has the HDVD800 reviewed.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,225 of 3,016
Quote:
Thanks alot TheManko,

1. Sound stage is not wider then better concept, it need to be accurate as well
2. HD598 did great in terms of sound stage, it already has an wide open sound stage
3. HDVD800+HD800 give you a very accurate presentation of the recording, it reflects exactly the sound stage size of the recording.

Try focus on other things besides only on the sound stage, you will hear the difference. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #1,226 of 3,016
BLANCO

As far as noise there should be none at all dead quiet. How ever the DAC does have a noise issue as stated by frank I , In a post a few pages back.

The noise is only with DSD  files or if you are using the optical or coax and files are above 24/96 bit rate. the DAC  apparently has a limitation on sampling/bit rate above 24/96 only in coax or optical. the usb has issues with DSD files only with noise, again frank has not heard this with DSD but others have and sennheisser has admitted this issue and trying to cure it with new drivers or something...

If you here noise under other than above stated conditions something else is wrong .

AL. D

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,229 of 3,016
Quote:

A better digital cable "shouldn't" make any difference, but depending on the associated equipment, sometimes they do.  IMO the improvements can be significant.  But if you aren't already somewhat close to the sound you are hoping for, look elsewhere, as it won't totally transform your system.

As the effects are system dependent, you should not purchase one unless you've had an opportunity to actually demo it in your system.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,230 of 3,016
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back