Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,186 of 3,016
This is why i ripped my SACD.S you cannot use the player as a transport. you are stuck with the intenal DAC  AND AMPS.  i get the idea of theft but really why cant i if i own the disk do what i want.

i had to buy a unit and go through the hassel to convert and do it as i buy new SACD,S  . its seems that there will never be a single format in the end and portibility is paromount for me .

and when you read reviews on music and quality downloads, and mastering versions . the hole thing seems to be tooo much work. i just want to play my music ....

AL D

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,187 of 3,016
Quote:
This is why i ripped my SACD.S you cannot use the player as a transport. you are stuck with the intenal DAC  AND AMPS.  i get the idea of theft but really why cant i if i own the disk do what i want.

i had to buy a unit and go through the hassel to convert and do it as i buy new SACD,S  . its seems that there will never be a single format in the end and portibility is paromount for me .

and when you read reviews on music and quality downloads, and mastering versions . the hole thing seems to be tooo much work. i just want to play my music ....

AL D

i do not even know you can rip SACDs.....
My SACD player will disable all digital output while it is in SACD mode~~~~~
The only way is to use the RCA output directly link to the recording device which may lead to problems. Since difference CD players have different DACs which will result different SQ for the same CD~~~~~

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,188 of 3,016
Quote:

AL D

How are you ripping your SACDs? It's been awhile since I kept up on it, but if I recall correctly very few units can actually be used to rip them. I'd be interested in hearing a somewhat easier way :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,189 of 3,016
You can make a .iso of the sacd by using your ps3 and a sacd plug-in for foobar will rip the .iso

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,192 of 3,016
Has anyone here heard the HDVD800 and Zana Duex that can compare them to me? They are both on my want list and it would help me out a bit if anyone could give me any info on them. I've heard the HDVD800 over the weekend for a brief while and was impressed for the most part.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,193 of 3,016
I have the hdvd800 and several tube amps to compare it to . but what headphone do you have and what dac do I use for comparison in the study.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #1,195 of 3,016
Quote:
Well...I'm a huge fan of a discrete design but a really good op-amp designed can sound pretty remarkable as well.  The April Eximus DP-1 also use op-amps on the DAC section and it sounds drastically more musical than the W4S DAC2.  The W4S's output stage is all discrete.

@purk

What exactly does musical mean?  Does it mean a bit of color is added?  Does it mean something is added that's not there to begin with? Does it mean it sounds or does not sound the way the music was intended to sound?  

I always wondered about this.  I want my DAC to stay out the way, be as transparent as possible.  Let the recording dictate how the music is suppose to sound and the DAC just follows suit.  You know gives the amp what the recording is giving it.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,196 of 3,016
i will give my answer as i understand it.  some dacs i own are more cold or analytical clser to the music. more crytical of the recording like the AUDIO GD REF 10.32. then i have the woo audio DAC it is less analytical more musical maybe tube sounding . they are both fine and both asyncro in usb mode. i here what you as you do not want to here the dac but i do not think there a way to determin if it colors the sound or not i cannot . but im sure someone here has some software that can tell . also does anyone know when or if the new driver software becomes availible for the hdvd 800 will it fix the limitations on non usb input from 96 to 192...

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,197 of 3,016
It took an awful long time, but I finally got a 4 pin balanced cable for the LCD-2 and HD 800. I've had the HDVD 800 for several months now and not heard it in balanced operation even once. I had read all the posts about it, but I've found that I can never truly prepare myself for what the difference will mean for my own listening experience, even if I know on an intellectual level exactly what to expect.

The experience is pretty much exactly as had been described. A wider stereo perspective and less distortion, resulting in a clearly more detailed and clean sound. The difference was immediately apparent with all music and not as subtle as I expected it to be. I'm finding myself as excited about the sound again now as I was just when I got the HDVD 800. The character of the sound changed enough when going to balanced operation that I don't know what to expect anymore when I listen to a song. I'd gotten used to how the HDVD 800 sounded unbalanced, and now it's making sounds I didn't know it was capable of.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,198 of 3,016
I am looking forward to trying a balanced cable as well. Does anyone have news on when the Sennheiser balanced cable will be available?

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,200 of 3,016
Quote:
It took an awful long time, but I finally got a 4 pin balanced cable for the LCD-2 and HD 800. I've had the HDVD 800 for several months now and not heard it in balanced operation even once. I had read all the posts about it, but I've found that I can never truly prepare myself for what the difference will mean for my own listening experience, even if I know on an intellectual level exactly what to expect.

The experience is pretty much exactly as had been described. A wider stereo perspective and less distortion, resulting in a clearly more detailed and clean sound. The difference was immediately apparent with all music and not as subtle as I expected it to be. I'm finding myself as excited about the sound again now as I was just when I got the HDVD 800. The character of the sound changed enough when going to balanced operation that I don't know what to expect anymore when I listen to a song. I'd gotten used to how the HDVD 800 sounded unbalanced, and now it's making sounds I didn't know it was capable of.

This is what you would expect going to a balanced configuration. There are two main issues that change here. First, assuming that the amps are properly matched, the slew rate doubles. Given that a single amp can change it's signal output at a given rate, connecting the second inverted amp results in the inverted signal moving away from the non inverted signal at twice the speed as a single amp's output by itself. The results are a much quicker amp which can improve openess.

The second advantage is eliminating the common return path shared by the left and right channels. Even at very low resistances in the common return path (e.g., the sleeve of the stereo phone plug), some signal from one channel can commingle with the other. This can cause some sounds in the left and right channels to become a bit less distinct from each other.

Other aspects of sonic signature (e.g., how "warm" the sound is") are really based on the characteristics of each internal amp. Going balanced doesn't really improve those things (IMHO) and if the amps aren't well matched, it can degrade them in the final output. Timber might appear to improve, but my guess is that is also mainly due to the improved speed of the configuration letting you hear subtle nuances better.

By the way, I still have not determined whether or not the HDVD800 is fully balanced all the way through the DAC section as well. I.e., in addition to the 4 internal amps (2 for each balanced channel) there would be 4 DACs as well. I.e., 2 DACS for the left channel and 2 for the right. One DAC would handle the normal signal and one would handle the inverted signal for a given channel. These would each feed independently to the inverted and non-inverted amps for the output to the headphones.

At this price point, I would certainly hope this was the case and not just a single DAC feeding an inverter which splits the signal into a balanced set. This would be akin to taking a simple DAC and feeding it's output via RCA cable into the HDVD800's single ended input.

The DAC that HeadRoom makes for their triple stack use with the BUDA functions like this (i.e., 4 DACs feeding XLR balanced outputs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back