Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,171 of 3,016
Quote:
Roght now the dsd files are down sampled to 176.4 and no USB dac to my knowledge can play a dsd file through the USB without converting it to PCM. The DAC on the HDvd800 is hissing and noisy with all my DSD files. The firmware fix should address that.

So you convert them to PCM.
There are plenty of USB DACs accepting raw DSD via DoP.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DSD.htm

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,172 of 3,016
Quote:
So you convert them to PCM.
There are plenty of USB DACs accepting raw DSD via DoP.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DSD.htm

The dacs I have only play usb files converted to PCM. The hdvd800 does the same. The Oppo player plays dsd disc dsd, not the files, but I do have a beta firmware from Oppo that will play the files dsd just haven't downloaded it. My system is 99 percent cd, sacd ,and hdcd disc. I don't play many files off my IMAC. I only use it for some reviews and concerts, The only DSD files I have were sent to me by my brother. I have not bought any nor do I intend to. If I want a dsd recording I buy the disc.  I just bought 11 sacd disc this week.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,173 of 3,016
doesent the mytek sterio 192 dac/amp play native DSD directly ???

AL D

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,175 of 3,016
Many people aren't very fond of the Mytek.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,176 of 3,016
The DAC section is really good and the features are plentiful.
The headphone amp is ok but the week link in it.

So given its price point it's worth every dime .

As I convert my sacs,s for backup and make them play through other equipment it is a good DAC . But ironically the files sound better when converted to FLAC or WAVE.

DSD. Is a funny bird as parts sound better and other parts worse , not even balance across.

Anyway I guess mytek is not on the hotlist and does not advertise here or elsewhere.

Al D

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,178 of 3,016
Hello frank

My comment was about the mytek I have a Denon multi player 3910 it's sounds fine also

But in you using the oppo and myn3910 it means you must be home and must use there electro clinics . Hense the backup process and I may use all of my equipment including portables .

Like the HDP R10 when walking around it plays native wave and FLAC .

AlD

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,179 of 3,016
Quote:
SACD played through the Oppo BDP 105 sound fantastic especially if they were recorded pure DSD as the OPPO will play them in DSD. I find nothing abnormal and I have over 300 SACD disc.

I ripped all of my discs to FLAC a couple of years ago - including my hybrid SACD's. The only discs on my shelf now are my non-hybrid and/or multi-channel SACD's because I can't tell the difference between the 16/44 and DSD (or 24 bit PCM for that matter).

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,180 of 3,016
Exactly my point , do you here a difference from DAC to DAC on playback.
Using FLAC or wave . As in my opinion the last thing I want is to use my 7 year old player and its internal DAC n amp only . We all have moved on with our equipment and I'm not buying a nw player either .

Al D

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,181 of 3,016
Exactly my point , do you here a difference from DAC to DAC on playback.
Using FLAC or wave . As in my opinion the last thing I want is to use my 7 year old player and its internal DAC n amp only . We all have moved on with our equipment and I'm not buying a nw player either .

Al D

Yes, I have heard differences between DACs. No, I cannot tell the difference between FLAC, WAV, or 320 Kbps MP3. And I can't tell the difference between discs playing via digital connection and ripped files streamed via my Squeezebox. My Pioneer DV-79AVi however has a very good DAC and I can tell the difference between its analog output and when I use it solely as a transport.

Of course I almost never use my disc player because I rarely feel like going to the effort to play a disc. Often, I'll just stream it via MOG because it sounds very good too (320 Kbps).

Like choosing what to listen to, it usually boils down to the mood I'm in. I mean, my vinyl and cassettes sound like relative crap, but sometimes I want to watch the stylus ride the groove or the level meters bounce. :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,182 of 3,016
Yes, I have heard differences between DACs. No, I cannot tell the difference between FLAC, WAV, or 320 Kbps MP3. And I can't tell the difference between discs playing via digital connection and ripped files streamed via my Squeezebox. My Pioneer DV-79AVi however has a very good DAC and I can tell the difference between its analog output and when I use it solely as a transport.

Of course I almost never use my disc player because I rarely feel like going to the effort to play a disc. Often, I'll just stream it via MOG because it sounds very good too (320 Kbps).

Like choosing what to listen to, it usually boils down to the mood I'm in. I mean, my vinyl and cassettes sound like relative crap, but sometimes I want to watch the stylus ride the groove or the level meters bounce. :)
wav sounds better than flac,lot's of people know this,especially with hd music,by that I mean newer recorded hd music,u can tell the difference between flac and wav, wav sounds better.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,185 of 3,016
Quote:
wav sounds better than flac,lot's of people know this,especially with hd music,by that I mean newer recorded hd music,u can tell the difference between flac and wav, wav sounds better.

Naww, wav files don't even have metadata to store lyrics in so they can only be used for instrumentals...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back