Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jan 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #362 of 3,016
Quote:
I was planning to purchase this amp for my HD800, but the lack of information and availability made me get a Burson Conductor instead.

Still interested in reading impressions of this amp though.

Yeah, the way Sennheiser is dealing with this, they will lose a good number of customers. The amplifiers are expensive to begin with and I cannot say I was floored with it.

I have not heard the Burson conductor. I was not very impressed with their 160 model amplifier. How would you descrobe the conductor?

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #363 of 3,016
The Conductor is an amazing performer in my opinion, though bear in mind I haven't heard the 160 series.

Sound is slightly unsettled at first but after 2-3 weeks break in, the Conductor really starts to shine; tremendous bass, tight and textured, smooth mids and effortless detail retrieval in the treble.

If I had to choose one word to describe, it would be musicality. Totally happy with it paired with the HD800, no feeling that bass is lacking unless switching instantly from bassier headphones.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #364 of 3,016
Quote:
The Conductor is an amazing performer in my opinion, though bear in mind I haven't heard the 160 series.

Sound is slightly unsettled at first but after 2-3 weeks break in, the Conductor really starts to shine; tremendous bass, tight and textured, smooth mids and effortless detail retrieval in the treble.

If I had to choose one word to describe, it would be musicality. Totally happy with it paired with the HD800, no feeling that bass is lacking unless switching instantly from bassier headphones.

Oh, I never found HD800 to be lacking in anything. On the contrary, I find them superior to every other dynamic headphones I have tried.

It sounds like the Conductor is a fine amplifier. I am glad you're enjoyng it!

I think HDVA600 would be an excellent amplifier if it cost 40% less than it does. But as it is, it doesn't have what it takes to fight off the competition. Especially not with the way they are treating all of us. The one I had the fortune of spending some time with was reserved for another customer that had the box open and auditioned it before he purchased it. It was already sold to him because he left deposit which is common (and sad) practice in these parts.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #365 of 3,016
I just visited the Burson audio website and the Conductor looks good quality to me. High quality parts throughout and some are even excellent. I am happy to see a Sabre32 processor in it. They can brag about their high precision clock all they want but it is this processor that corrects a huge percentage of mistiming errors! I think it's a nice amplifier but at 1800 Euro it probably should be. Still, it is cheaper than the HDVD800 by a good margin, at least here.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #366 of 3,016
Definitely, couldn't be happier with the Conductor. I bought with the intention of not having to upgrade for a long time, and barring any problems (none so far), it looks like I will be able to keep to that intention.

I ordered the amp online, and the company offers the Conductor and the HDVD800 (preorder) at the same price. But having read early impressions and looked on the Burson website as you did, I decided not to wait for the Sennheiser amp.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #367 of 3,016
I don't have the conductor, but I have a soloist (the amplifier section of the conductor) and have spent many adays with the 160 and can tell you that the soloist is a step up. A lot more power, clarity, detail and space. I was totally impressed with my little unit. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #368 of 3,016
I tried the HD800 with Conductor and it really was a step up compared to ha-160ds or ha-160d which i found to be a poor choice for hd800. Conductor brought musicality to hd800. 

Here are my full impressions on conductor . I love it both with hd800 and especially lcd2.

I sure am curios about the hdvd800 with hd800 though.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #369 of 3,016
I was planning to purchase this amp for my HD800, but the lack of information and availability made me get a Burson Conductor instead.

Still interested in reading impressions of this amp though.

Yeah this goes for me too....
But with some real luck I might be able to compare them using HD800 soon :)

(also the HDVD800 is 20% more expensive than the Conductor here...)

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #373 of 3,016
I heard from somewhere that the HDVD800 would include a balanced cable for the HD800's. Is this true?
If not, does Sennheiser supply official cables somewhere?

IIRC when I opened the box there was very little in it, just the amp and a thin quickstart and safety manual and a cd
I could be wrong tho, my memory isn't what it used to be :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #375 of 3,016
No, it is completely untrue. As stated by Sennheiser's representative as a reply to my query, the amplifier will not come with a balanced cable. Not surprising since Sennheiser advertised the amplifier as a match to several of their headphones, not just the HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back