Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jan 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #331 of 3,016
Can you Recomend a balanced SLR cable for the hd800
No more than 300 US dollars 10 feet or 6 feet

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #333 of 3,016
I thought the early literature for this amp/dac touted that it came with a fully balanced cable for the HD800?

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #334 of 3,016
From what I gather, the HDVA600 is inferior to something like a BHA-1 and Mjolnir, and the HDVD800 is even more inferior to the aforementioned amplifiers with a good dac.

My manager also got to hear the HDVA600 at CES and says it does not have the quality of the BHA-1.

Also, for the one wondering about HD800/HDVD800 vs Orpheus; it's completely different. Again, I'm envious my manager got to try the Orpheus in Vegas; he says it was incredible and much more musical than the HD800/HDVD800 combo. 

I personally would not use the HD800's with a SS amp unless we're talking b22 and mjolnir/BHA-1; but again, the two latter ones are going to sound forward and more analytical than musical.

I liked my BHA-1/mjolnir with the HD800's; but I will be getting a tube amp specifically for them. I will loan the store's HDVD800 once we receive stock.

I hope to be impressed, but I doubt it.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #335 of 3,016
Some points to make
Unless he sent you a pic of him wearing them I call BS
HOW can he evaluate open back headphones in a noisy back ground
With a source unknown a d before a miracle and hear how good or bad they
Are Again BS
how about the fact that everyone e seems to have the magic pair of DAC amp combo
Balanced or not and no o e agrees but your boss gets to here the holy grail
Headphone and compares to new and oh it's not good yea ok

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #336 of 3,016
Quote:
From what I gather, the HDVA600 is inferior to something like a BHA-1 and Mjolnir, and the HDVD800 is even more inferior to the aforementioned amplifiers with a good dac.

My manager also got to hear the HDVA600 at CES and says it does not have the quality of the BHA-1.

Also, for the one wondering about HD800/HDVD800 vs Orpheus; it's completely different. Again, I'm envious my manager got to try the Orpheus in Vegas; he says it was incredible and much more musical than the HD800/HDVD800 combo. 

I personally would not use the HD800's with a SS amp unless we're talking b22 and mjolnir/BHA-1; but again, the two latter ones are going to sound forward and more analytical than musical.

I liked my BHA-1/mjolnir with the HD800's; but I will be getting a tube amp specifically for them. I will loan the store's HDVD800 once we receive stock.

I hope to be impressed, but I doubt it.

This is what I was kind of wondering. Thanks for gathering my thoughts. 
biggrin.gif

Btw: Which tube amp, eh? ECBA, DNA, LG, custom speaker amp?

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #339 of 3,016
howdy,
would like to know something from a hdvd800 owner.
how are the drivers of the unit? working fine? will it accept every sampling frequency up to 192? 176.4 included?
it would be something to cough up the coin and find out it can't do 176.4...
also, it would be nice if someone opened one up to check if it really is a balanced configuration. just saying...

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #340 of 3,016
Quote:
howdy,
would like to know something from a hdvd800 owner.
how are the drivers of the unit? working fine? will it accept every sampling frequency up to 192? 176.4 included?
it would be something to cough up the coin and find out it can't do 176.4...
also, it would be nice if someone opened one up to check if it really is a balanced configuration. just saying...

Buy one and let us know.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #341 of 3,016
might do just that in month or so... a local dealer will be importing it, an i'll have myself a nice audition. if i like what i hear, i'm selling my old setup and buying this thing.
i asked because thinker above seems to own one :) "I have lived with both combos and with Orpheus several years." so i thought, maybe...

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #342 of 3,016
Quote:
Your manager sounds to be a expert with golden ears he can send me a PM ,does he own the Orpheus combo and does he own the new HD-800 HDVD800 combo.I have lived with both combos and with Orpheus several years.Please don't post opinions with rumours it's much more interesting to read comments from real owners.HD-800 HDVD 800 is a very musical match don't post opinions if they are only imagination

He does not have golden ears; none whatsoever. But when someone like him, with not much headphone experience tells me that the Orpheus and HD800/HDVD800 is night and day; it's all the more believable. He also knows the HD800 as he's been selling it in his store for four years now. He has more experience with high end stereo.

I am just posting my skepticisms; I'll be able to contribute once we receive stock of the amp. I'll give it a good 200 hour burn in and compare the HD800/HE-6 and LCD-3 on it vs the BHA-1 and Mjolnir and post my opinions.

Quote:
Some points to make
Unless he sent you a pic of him wearing them I call BS
HOW can he evaluate open back headphones in a noisy back ground
With a source unknown a d before a miracle and hear how good or bad they
Are Again BS
how about the fact that everyone e seems to have the magic pair of DAC amp combo
Balanced or not and no o e agrees but your boss gets to here the holy grail
Headphone and compares to new and oh it's not good yea ok

He showed me the picture on his iphone. I can even go as far into asking him if he can let me share it here.
Of course loudness affects the comparison. He does listen very loudly to his music, and probably played it even louder to try and bleed out external noise. He said it wasn't too bad.
As for source, yes, they were completely different. The HD800's were running off the HDVA600/HDVD800 whereas the Orpheus system was running vinyl through a very high end turntable.

I have a hard time understanding your last sentences, but he did not say anything negative about the HD800's; just that the Orpheus is a completely different experience. He also told me that I should be happy with my HD800's and that the Orpheus is not worth 20x its price if that's any indication.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #343 of 3,016
Quote:
This is what I was kind of wondering. Thanks for gathering my thoughts. 
biggrin.gif

Btw: Which tube amp, eh? ECBA, DNA, LG, custom speaker amp?

I'm leaning heavily towards the Stratus, but might settle for the Super7 to save a bit of money. It's hard because I kind of forget what they each sound like, and don't remember the tube configurations they each had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back