Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 13, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #2,056 of 3,016
Two simple questions. First, I have a mac G5 running 10.5.8 so, it seems, I am unable to use USB with the HDVD800. Does anyone know a workaround, or is there a driver upgrade that will allow me to listen via USB? Second, I can use it with the Toslink port from the mac, but is there any difference in sound quality between USB and Toslink (optical) when listening to ordinary lossless (Apple Lossless) files? Any help or advicewould be appreciated!

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #2,057 of 3,016
And, also, I know another member posted pictures of a badly fitting front plate. Mine isn't nearly as bad, and it doesn't bother me much, but is this fairly normal, or are they usually perfectly fitting?

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #2,058 of 3,016
I have not noticed the front plate issue but I can look to be sure. But like you , probably will not bother me
And I have mine connected via USB to my MAcBook Pro and works fine. However, I remember reading about some connectivity issues earlier in the thread but I do not remember the specifics

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #2,059 of 3,016
My front plate fits perfectly. No space in between at all. Yours look cool though with the extra blue lighting. 
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #2,060 of 3,016
  And, also, I know another member posted pictures of a badly fitting front plate. Mine isn't nearly as bad, and it doesn't bother me much, but is this fairly normal, or are they usually perfectly fitting?

Mine looks the same.  Doesn't bother me at all.  You can open it up and put a strip of self-adhesive thin weather strip between the front panel and chassis to resolve the issue.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,061 of 3,016
Mine looks the same.  Doesn't bother me at all.  You can open it up and put a strip of self-adhesive thin weather strip between the front panel and chassis to resolve the issue.

Thanks for that! I won't open it up as it doesn't bother me too much - just wanted to know if it was a common issue.

I'm dying to know what you think of the HDVD800 compared to the Lehmann BCL!

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2,062 of 3,016
..............but is there any difference in sound quality between USB and Toslink (optical) when listening to ordinary lossless (Apple Lossless) files? Any help or advicewould be appreciated!

Let me be more specific; does the HDVD800 use an asynchronous sample rate converter on all digital inputs, or just on USB? If it uses asynchronous across all digital inputs, they would presumably all sound the same?

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,064 of 3,016
Let me be more specific; does the HDVD800 use an asynchronous sample rate converter on all digital inputs, or just on USB? If it uses asynchronous across all digital inputs, they would presumably all sound the same?

Spdif digital inputs are synchronous. The optical output from mac is limited to 96 Khz. You have to check all digital inputs you can use & decide which is best for you.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,065 of 3,016
So, just to be sure I understand this correctly, that means that via Toslink or coax SPDIF the jitter that is coming out of the computer or/and generated by the cable is being feed straight to the dac without re-clocking, whereas via USB the dac is doing the clock duties and just asking the computer for more information as it needs. Is that a correct (simplified) explanation?

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #2,066 of 3,016
So, just to be sure I understand this correctly, that means that via Toslink or coax SPDIF the jitter that is coming out of the computer or/and generated by the cable is being feed straight to the dac without re-clocking, whereas via USB the dac is doing the clock duties and just asking the computer for more information as it needs. Is that a correct (simplified) explanation?

I think it is more accurate to say that with SPDIF, the master clock of the "sending device" (CD player, computer, etc.) controls the data rate and with asynchronous USB, the master clock of the "receiving device" controls the data rate. Both are equally capable of controlling timing and in these modern days both easily keep jitter well below audible levels.

Personally, I can't tell the difference and base my decision on the device I am connecting and the cable I happen to have lying around at the time.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #2,067 of 3,016
  Spdif digital inputs are synchronous. The optical output from mac is limited to 96 Khz. You have to check all digital inputs you can use & decide which is best for you.

That's the problem (and why I'm curious) - I only have Toslink as an option. Traditional HiFi wisdom (and my personal experience) says that Toslink is inferior to coax SPDIF, but that might be because older generations of DAC's were less able to deal with Toslink generated jitter.

I think it is more accurate to say that with SPDIF, the master clock of the "sending device" (CD player, computer, etc.) controls the data rate and with asynchronous USB, the master clock of the "receiving device" controls the data rate. Both are equally capable of controlling timing and in these modern days both easily keep jitter well below audible levels.

Personally, I can't tell the difference and base my decision on the device I am connecting and the cable I happen to have lying around at the time.

That's what I understood, but thanks for expressing it in a more accurate way.

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,068 of 3,016
Thanks for that! I won't open it up as it doesn't bother me too much - just wanted to know if it was a common issue.

I'm dying to know what you think of the HDVD800 compared to the Lehmann BCL!

the two are very comparable in sound.  HDVD800 wins because it has XLR outs.  It makes a HUGE difference!

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,070 of 3,016

I just took this picture, I don't seem to have the issue, but if I did I don't think I would worry to much as long as it works perfect, especially for a 2k Amp/Dac.
BTW the differnce between the balanced out is huge vs the single ended, it's like a whole different Amp. I really love this Amp with my HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back